Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 06:17PM

Nothing wrong with an evening of manual labor in chilly temps to do some temple yardwork for free, saving the church the cost of hiring actual landscapers!

"Thousands of eager Pocatello-area youth descended with shovels on the Pocatello Idaho Temple site on Tuesday, March 5 to clear the ground of vegetation in preparation for the groundbreaking scheduled for March 16, 2019. With so many hands, all of the weeds and sagebrush had been pulled from the 12-acre site in a matter of minutes.

The groundbreaking ceremony for the Pocatello Idaho Temple will be held on Saturday, March 16, 2019. Attendance at the temple site is by invitation only, but the general public is invited to view the proceedings live at local meetinghouses."

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/pocatello-idaho-temple/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 06:28PM

They don't attend school on Tuesdays in Idaho or am I missing something?

The church can't afford a bulldozer?

Posted by: guy3 ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 06:28PM

The same thing happened to me when I was going to law school. During our first year orientation we had to give 3 hours of mandatory service at certain places. With cameras waiting, to publish articles about how giving these soon to be lawyers were.

We would be sent to the dean if we didn't do it. I am not sure what the punishment would have been, because everyone was too scared to try.

At least when I was a Mormon when I didn't want to give service I just took a nap and turned off the phone.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 07:00PM

Why would you pull weeds from ground that is going to be bulldozed and cleared for construction anyway?

That's like mowing/ weeding your lawn before your contractor shows up and tears it all out and replaces it with Astro turf.

Posted by: Gone4good ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 08:13PM

Any ideas for service projects for the sunbeams???

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 09:04PM

Gone4good Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any ideas for service projects for the sunbeams???

I'm sure that they will be making mini profit boosters. You know, Rusty pictures glued to a popsicle stick. Wannabe rock stars love thst stuff.

Posted by: gone4good4ever ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 10:36PM

there are probably nursery leaders at walmart right now getting popopsicle sticks right now

Posted by: Pompous Windbag ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 09:37PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
> Why would you pull weeds from ground that is going
> to be bulldozed and cleared for construction
> anyway?
>
> That's like mowing/ weeding your lawn before your
> contractor shows up and tears it all out and
> replaces it with Astro turf.

I bet a contractor would add a vegetation removal charge, because that seems to require time and trouble. So maybe the Mormons were trying to save some money? Why not use the youth for something other than ... what do they use the youth for?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 09:47PM

xxMo0 Wrote:

>
> The groundbreaking ceremony for the Pocatello
> Idaho Temple will be held on Saturday, March 16,
> 2019. Attendance at the temple site is by
> invitation only, but the general public is invited
> to view the proceedings live at local
> meetinghouses."
>
Let me guess, only temple worthy TR holders will be invited to the ceremony w/maybe their immediate families. Everyone else, including active TBM's without TR's, will be left to watch it at the meeting houses. I can't imagine anyone who is not Mormon wanting to be present at all however the news media will be there to report on it.

What a crock. Of course it is "hallowed ground." Only the worthiest Mormons will be invited to attend the ceremony. Anyone else need not pretend they are worthy enough.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 03:01AM

stratification.
It's an important feature of most any society

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_stratification

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 12:42AM

Kids with homework, on sports teams needed to help out at home, and many with after-school jobs, waste their time weeding a Mormon vacant lot all day, a job which one machine could do in a couple of hours. Like most everything in the cult, it is so UNNECESSARY, like baptizing the same dead person over and over, reading the BOM over and over. This vacant lot was to be bulldozed anyway, for a temple and parking lot. The "youths" are not worthy to even go to the dedication of the ground they prepared, or go inside the temple once it's built. I take this as a demonstration of the power Mormons have over the youth. Much like Nazis parading their goose-stepping, uniformed youth battalions for the world to see.

See how obedient these Mormon kids are! See how brainwashed they are! See them perform like mindless slaves! See our power over them! These are our future "armies of Helaman." Beware of our stripling warriors!

Makes me sick.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 07:10PM

The Chosen do not enjoy mixing with the herd. Elites only invitation as glad handing gets really tiresome.

Think the Q15 will all be in attendance when the Pocatello, Idaho temple is dedicated too??

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 06:58PM

Back in ancient times, when I was a teen, local members had to raise a portion of the money for new chapels. To offset some of the cash they'd have to raise they did some of the labor themselves.

So, our stake had a piece of property that was the site for a stake center. One night, at Bot Scouts/Priesthood Meeting Lite they announced a campout.

Yay! We rarely had campouts because our Scout program sucked. So Whoopie! Where are we going?

We're going to camp on the stake center lot. A couple of acres surrounded by houses.

Aw crap.

What scouting skills were we going to learn and put into practice? Clearing brush.

After a night "camping" in the suburban wilderness, we spent a hot, humid, sweaty day hacking at plants, preparing the land for a house of the Lord, helping the great stone roll forth and fill the earth, showing the gentile property owners what fantastic people Mormons are so they'll want to join the one true weed digging church.

This lot was sort of a hill. In order to have enough level ground for the building they had to bulldoze the top of the hill into the lower areas. So, a couple of weeks later, all our lovingly, righteously, slavishly, cleared hallowed ground was shoved away in a few minutes.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 07:01PM

xxMo0 Wrote:
> ...to clear the ground of vegetation
> in preparation for the groundbreaking scheduled
> for March 16, 2019.

It would've been far more impressive to use their magical priesthood powers to pray the vegetation away.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.