Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 03:08PM

Dennis and I were in Woodland Hills Elementary School together, when his family lived on Dumetz, a block or two down the street from the Woodland Hills Congregational Church, and although they moved away by (I think) third grade, he was someone I always remembered.

He and I got along well as [totally platonic] friends and school pals....and we, together, performed as a duo in a song and dance presentation of "My Grandfather's Clock" at an elementary school evening event for parents....and we had similar entertainment industry experiences and contacts: relatives, family friends, etc.--plus: we both could read scripts (ANY kind of scripts!!) really well.

When the Mickey Mouse Club was in its initial, pre-debut stages, Dennis auditioned to be a Mouseketeer. During his audition, he and a girl who was also auditioning were doing some kind of musical number, and the pianist messed up the music, which messed up their choreographed dance.

He was still a little kid then (he was always physically "little" when I knew him), yet he handled the situation masterfully: In mid-routine, he broke character, calmly raised his hand in a "Stop" motion to the pianist, went over to the pianist (a full adult, needless to say) and discussed what had gone wrong, and how to fix the glitch.

When the pianist and Dennis agreed on how to proceed, Dennis went back into character, joined his dancing partner (and maybe she was his singing partner too), and they (with the pianist) all gave a flawless performance.

The Disney execs were blown away by Dennis's professionalism and calm, businesslike demeanor, and Dennis was chosen as one of the original Mouseketeers.

Ever since, he has always had that status: Original Mouseketeer.

When the later books and articles and documentaries were written and produced, Dennis was always an integral part of the history of the Mouseketeers.

The books and articles and documentaries also, usually, noted something that was no surprise to me: Dennis was gay.

At some point during his adult life he married, the two men were, by all accounts, devoted to each other, and I was very happy for him that he had found the right man, and happiness.

In more recent years, though, reports were that things were not going so well. Dennis's husband developed dementia, and is under some kind of hospitalization right now.

Because of the dementia, Dennis's husband did not realize that Dennis had not visited for a very long time (months, I think)--which was extremely abnormal. When people (including Dennis's family) began checking, they found that Dennis had given his dog (who he loved very much) to a neighbor (I think), and his car was "missing"--though, when his car was found, Dennis had evidently given it away to some guys who were later cleared by the police of any suspicion of wrongdoing. Dennis himself had "vanished."

Dennis hasn't been seen by anyone for a very long time now, and everyone realizes that he is probably dead.

If so, he leaves behind a whole lot of people, literally around the world, whose lives he left better than would have been the case had he never lived.

He and his life made a difference....and once upon a time, when we were both in first and second grade together, he was my friend.

EDITED TO ADD (because I just became aware that this exists):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3xdEX5YRRo

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 06:46PM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 03:20PM

I remember Dennis from watching the show so long ago. I can see him in my mind, smiling and dancing to perfection.

Date: March 11, 2019 01:15AM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember Dennis from watching the show so long
> ago. I can see him in my mind, smiling and dancing
> to perfection.

Yes.

Me, too, Cheryl.

:)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 03:26PM

were there TWO performers named Dennis Day? (refer to wiki)

Date: March 10, 2019 03:27PM

GNPE Wrote:
> were there TWO performers named Dennis Day?
> (refer to wiki)

Yes....there were two entirely different people who were both named Dennis Day.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 03:43PM

That's an interesting story. I just read it online a few days ago in USA Today, not sure how I came on it.

I never had talent as a child, musically at least, and I really loved the Mickey Mouse Club so it was kind of a way for me to enjoy those who did.

Posted by: NeverLoggedIn ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 03:44PM

I am not long for this world. I plan on doing what Dennis has apparently done. I see it as a form of self-inflicted death, but for good cause. Given that we are all destined to pass away, I choose to be the author of my passing. This may, for me, date back to shopping for caskets with my mother, after my father's out of nowhere fatal heart attack. A lot of money had to be spent to observe cultural norms. Cultural norms that have no basis in necessity, nor, in my opinion, good taste.

In the OP's case, whether it was by his design or the regular way of Death, her memories of the man are the same, except for the taint of society's Death Observations, the mini-holiday when we observe the rituals of death and burial.

My plan is to hike into a wilderness and never come out again. In my case, no one will remember me, and I'm okay with that because I won't care, other than to know that I may have spared a few relatives some annoyance.

Date: March 10, 2019 06:23PM

I'd be sad for you to go.

Date: March 10, 2019 03:49PM

I am feeling with you, NeverLoggedIn.

If you do make this decision, my best wishes will be with you.

Thank you for posting this. Your words will prompt many who read your words to think through some of the most difficult choices we have in life.

Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 04:13PM

I am convinced that death certificates are necessary to preserve order, but after that, just wait for the truck to come around, with the speaker blaring, "Bring out your dead!"

Either compost the bodies or feed the pigs.

I know a lady who had a falling out with her siblings and now, decades later has no idea what happened to her parents, how or when they died and where they are buried. She knows she could find out, but won't do it.

If Keeping Up With Appearances didn't exist, the funeral industry wouldn't either, including the cemetery and grave marking sidekicks.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 04:15PM

Is this the Dennis Day who performed on Jack Benny Show?

Date: March 10, 2019 04:26PM

Aquarius123 Wrote:
> Is this the Dennis Day who performed on Jack Benny
> Show?

No.

The Dennis Day who, as an adult, performed on the Jack Benny Show, did that performing before either Dennis or I were born.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 01:16AM by Tevai.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 07:33PM

He could have run into foul play.

"In July 2018, Dennis left home stating that he was going to visit friends. Unfortunately he has not been seen since that time and is listed as a missing person with the Oregon State Police. A group of people calling themselves Friends of Dennis and Ernie have been organizing publicity to help in the search."

http://www.originalmmc.com/dennis.html

Date: March 10, 2019 08:31PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> He could have run into foul play.

When law enforcement is investigating a potential suicide, one of the signs of actual suicide they look for is the prior giving away of personal property and beloved pets.

In addition: if Dennis did not commit suicide, then I am even more disturbed.

It is one thing to do this (or cause this to be done) if he made that decision himself and then carried it out....and it would be a whole other thing entirely if it was unexpected foul play.

He was not a fighter by nature, and I would not want him to be in the position of being a victim of foul play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2019 08:33PM by Tevai.

Date: March 10, 2019 09:46PM

There isn't any indication he committed suicide either.

The last known people to have seen him were the two strangers he supposedly lent his vehicle to, that the police have since impounded (the vehicle.) Now they're following up on the two strangers because they didn't investigate them to begin with.

Someone besides his partner was living on their property when Dennis supposedly walked away from their rural home in Oregon, leaving his pets and vehicle behind to go visit his friends. That makes no sense either. If he's going to visit friends he'd need transportation.

Neither story adds up. There is more there that a good thorough investigation might reveal what really happened to him. It sounds like he could've been abducted. His partner had dementia, not Dennis.

Who exactly was the other person living on the property when he disappeared? The detectives have their work cut out for them.

People don't just disappear unless someone's hiding a body.

He's been missing since last summer, so it doesn't sound optimistic he's going to be found alive. His poor family just learned he was missing. How unfortunate. Hope they find him soon.

Date: March 11, 2019 01:35AM

Because he did have some kind of celebrity (even if it is was mostly long ago), there is a pretty good chance that the local law agencies will keep after this.

If they are able to come up with new information, or if they find some or all of his body, it will mean positive national (perhaps international, too) news coverage for them.

Okay, writing this post makes me realize that if Dennis is dead (and he likely is), he is probably smiling right now.

All of us who grow up, or have grown up, within the greater sphere of the industry learn VERY early to value good news coverage, because this is how careers, and businesses, are built.

Future news stories WILL absolutely "spell his name right," and his accomplishments WILL live again--at least for one further bit of time.

If he is dead (and he probably is), he is probably also amused at how it all turned out in the denouement.

In my mind and my memories of him, I can "see" him smiling at the end of plot reveal.

Date: March 11, 2019 04:49AM

He was obviously talented and kind hearted.

Date: March 11, 2019 07:22AM

He deserves to be found so his family and loved ones can have closure.

And he can be laid to rest and rest in peace.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 07:25AM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.