Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 10:36AM

She is indeed very impressive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 10:49AM

I agree. She seems tough, determined, compassionate, honorable.

Yet another example of someone who is much bigger than the LDS church.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 08:12PM

Does anyone know if she was a convert or was she born into Mormonism?

Just curious ....

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 08:53PM

I have some friends in New Zealand. They actually don't like her very much. They see her as weak whatever than means.

Date: March 20, 2019 10:53PM

She's surely acting fast and boldly with regard to gun regulation.

We'll see if her reputation changes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 10:54PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 23, 2019 05:31AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She's surely acting fast and boldly with regard to
> gun regulation.
>
> We'll see if her reputation changes.

New Zealand and Australia already have very strict gun laws. More gun laws wouldn't have changed what happened.

The shooter chose New Zealand because it's got weaker police and a weaker government than Australia. It took forever for the police to respond to the shooting. New Zealand doesn't have very good anti-terrorism intelligence gathering either.

They probably will pass some feel good legislation and that's about it. But of course terrorism hasn't been a big problem in New Zealand but Christchurch was chosen because it has mosques and muslims. It was recovering from a devastating earthquake and New Zealand is perceived as being a safe place.

They shooter wanted maximum impact. Doing the shooting in such a place did it. He wanted to shock people and he did.

To give New Zealand a break the US isn't very good at anti-terrorism intelligence gathering either. We could learn a lot from countries like Israel on how to flag potential terrorists.

Posted by: kerri ( )
Date: March 23, 2019 11:19PM

There were police on the scene in 6 minutes. Suspect was arrested in 40 minutes.
Jacinda was born into the church and left as a young adult.
She's a good person and the country supports the new gun laws. It took just 4 days to pass legislation prohibiting semi automatic or military style weapons.

Posted by: kerri ( )
Date: March 23, 2019 11:22PM

As a NZer, I am very proud of her and how she has handled this. So much kindness and respect for each other has come out of this terrible thing.

We are not a gun-obsessed country and I've only heard good things about the semi-automatic gun ban that she brought about in just a few days.

Date: March 24, 2019 01:00AM

I would be proud to be a New Zealander. The people and their leader have behaved admirably.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 01:57AM

Good to hear from you, kerri. Of course, our hearts are with you.The response within your country has been incredible. Showing solidarity can bring a measure of healing.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 03:12AM

New Zealand did not have strict gun laws as Australia does. Now it will which is great to see.

As Kerri said, the police were on the scene in 6 minutes..it did not take forever for them to arrive. New Zealand does not have a weak police force either..where are you getting your information?

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: March 21, 2019 09:44PM

But it seems to me she's very popular.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 10:51PM

Wikipedia says she was raised Mormon but left the church as an adult.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 21, 2019 08:20AM

Thanks. I already like her as a person. She'll do great things for New Zealand.

Posted by: Anon3 ( )
Date: March 21, 2019 07:10PM

She is a profound woman. Let's not talk about or name the mass murder. Let's shine the light on the victims.

Posted by: Hot Choc ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 01:13PM

A lot of virtue signalling without substance. She will pass the gun laws, but I doubt she will deal with other underlying problems.

Date: March 22, 2019 04:26PM

This boils down to a disagreement, then, about the importance of the various factors. Virtually the entire world, minus the US, agrees on the relative priorities.

Date: March 24, 2019 03:02AM

I'm going to ask the question more directly.

A racist lunatic from abroad entered the country, obtained weapons, and committed mass murder.

The weapons are obviously a factor in that; sometimes virtue is actually virtue. But what are the "other underlying problems?

Do you think New Zealand should block entry by Australians? Build a wall?

What do you consider the main contributing factors?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2019 03:03AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: March 24, 2019 03:13AM

Building a wall could be tricky !!!!

Date: March 24, 2019 03:23AM

Small country, small wall.

Following up on the alien thread, with all that alien technology and such, isn't the answer there too a wall? Earthlings could construct a spherical barrier around the planet and stop all illegal visitation.

Good fences make good neighbors, doncha know.

Date: March 24, 2019 04:17AM

I'm thinking maybe a dome rather than a wall :)

Date: March 24, 2019 04:28AM

Yes, but only if the earth is flat.

Date: March 24, 2019 04:42AM

I was really thinking around New Zealand. I've sailed from New Zealand to Australia on a largish cruise ship..the ocean looked pretty flat so I can't see a problem with a dome :)

Of course it would have to be anchored on the sea bed...so it could be a case of " Back to the drawing board '

Date: March 24, 2019 09:43AM

Not if we employed some of them there alien technologies!

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 02:24PM

Her uncle is in the Area Presidency for the Pacific Region, so her family and extended family must be the all-in types...she is fantastic, and smart for leaving

Date: March 23, 2019 03:28AM

The article below has a series of short news videos, the first three of which merit watching. The upshot is that the country and PM Ardern have reacted to the mass murder in admirable ways.

1) On Friday hundreds of New Zealanders joined arms in a protective circle around a mosque in which Moslems were worshiping. Their message was that they would stand by their compatriots.

2) Ardern states firmly that she will not mention the name of the murderer and asks that people use, and remember, the names of the victims. She has also committed herself irrevocably to significant changes in weapons laws in order to render similar slaughters more difficult.

3) At the memorial service Ardern recited a verse from the Koran describing the unity of the community, a Mullah restated the Moslems' commitment to New Zealand, and women of all sorts of ethnic and religious backgrounds wore hijabs to show solidarity with the Moslems.

This is an impressive country and an impressive leader. A lot of countries do far worse.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/zealanders-create-human-chain-around-145149872.html

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 05:38AM

What an amazing leader in the face of such a tragedy.
Hhmmm—A Prime Minister who can’t even hold the priesthood.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.