Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 4evergone ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 09:28PM

talk about hard up for people to attend, now it's bring your friends. never in my decades in the cult have i ever seen a call to bring friends. did i miss something since i left years ago????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 4evergone ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 09:30PM

ooops forgot to include the invitation:

Saturday 6-8 pm: Adult Evening Session

All adult members 18+ and friends

Sunday 10am - 12pm: General Session

Members and friends of all ages

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 10:00PM

Hooray!

The morg is making easier for members to lose any non-member friendships they may have. A sure way to run them off!

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 11:03PM

Ha!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 10:43PM

I know they will. But I think SC just passed here so it will be a while. Maybe they'll forget by then. I got an invite to the RS dinner last week from my neighbor by text. Said something about getting out and going somewhere. Well, I think she forgot I work at Sam's Club 4 or 5 days a week and all I want to do on my time off is STAY HOME.

I love them. They are the best neighbors EXCEPT THIS.

I also have a job I do at home. Not like I have a lot of free time. Going to a RS dinner would be the last on my list. I'd rather go put another shift in at Sam's Club.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 10:44PM by cl2.

Date: March 20, 2019 11:06PM

CL wrote:
>
> Going to a RS dinner would be the last on my list. I'd rather go put another shift in at Sam's Club.

I would rather watch paint dry. The ones I went to were truly the most boring hours of my life. Never again!!!

Date: March 20, 2019 11:08PM

I could never get anyone to come with me. They were smarter than I was!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 11:09PM by mel.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 10:44PM

Why stake conference? It's the least churchy and most boring of all the meetings. Why would anyone want to bring their non-mo friends? Weird.

I agree with messygoop. It's a good way to loose non-member friends.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 11:00PM

Would make any MLM person proud...

Church Member: Hey neighbor, how would you like to go to a meeting with me?

Neighbor: What is the meeting about?

Church Member: It's about a lot of different things.

Neighbor: It's not the mormon church is it?

Church Member: No, it's not the mormon church
(Church member thinks to self: well Pres Nelson did say not to use the name 'mormon' anymore - so technically I didn't lie)

Gees... where have we seen these tactics before? This is the best the 'only true church' can do? Really?

Next: ....but if you bring-in three people and they too bring-in three people each, then you only pay nine percent tithing...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 11:04PM by azsteve.

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: March 21, 2019 07:07AM

azsteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would make any MLM person proud...
>
> Church Member: Hey neighbor, how would you like to
> go to a meeting with me?
>
> Neighbor: What is the meeting about?
>
> Church Member: It's about a lot of different
> things.
>
> Neighbor: It's not the mormon church is it?
>
> Church Member: No, it's not the mormon church
> (Church member thinks to self: well Pres Nelson
> did say not to use the name 'mormon' anymore - so
> technically I didn't lie)
>
> Gees... where have we seen these tactics before?
> This is the best the 'only true church' can do?
> Really?
>
> Next: ....but if you bring-in three people and
> they too bring-in three people each, then you only
> pay nine percent tithing...

Ha ha- very similar to what happened to me many years ago.

TBM friend invited me to come around to her place one night to talk about the new business she and her husband were starting up.

Me: What's it about?

TBM: Oh lots of different things from cleaning products to cars.

Me: It's not Amway is it?

TBM: Oh no, it's not Amway, it's called MLM.

Not having any idea at the time what MLM meant, I attended and joined at least 20 other people who also showed up.

About ten minutes into the presentation,I couldn't help myself and turned to my friend saying -

"This sounds too much like bloody Amway and you said you hated their products."

As so often happens, the moment I chose to speak was the moment
the room fell silent. My TBM friend went beet red, the presenter's mouth kept opening and closing before he finally admitted it was indeed Amway and explained what the initials MLM stood for. I am pretty sure that no-one signed up that night.

So Azsteve, your imaginary situation is not that far from reality and mormons will try to con the unwary by lying.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 11:26PM

Friends don't expect friends to attend conference.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 11:37PM

Look the church doesn't get it.

There are ZERO activities that are fun and exciting. This isn't the church that my parents joined in the 70s because there were activities to be liked/enjoyed. No, this is a church that offers nothing but mundane work.

-Hey Bill!

-Yeah Bob.

-Would you like to come to my church on Saturday. We're going to roto-rooter our septic lines. They're backed up from dirty diapers, crud and cheerios. We could sure use your help.

-Umm. I think I have something better to do.

Date: March 21, 2019 12:00PM

Shinehah Wrote:
> Friends don't expect friends to attend conference.

Ha! Love it.

We also have a saying (here in the South, after visiting a buffet, usually)
"Friends don't let friends drive stuffed."

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 21, 2019 09:38AM

What the church leaders don't get is that their previous actions directly affect people's willingness to affiliate with the church in the future. The church can't escape its past, and they won't repent of it (yes, the church itself needs to repent - that means going through certain steps, properly and publicly).

The field is no longer ready to harvest. People everywhere are wise to Mormonism now, and a name change isn't going to change that. In the past, the church could burn bridges and simply go elsewhere to find other innocent suckers to join them. Now, every bridge burned by the church is a discussion somewhere on the internet. Burned bridges result in people resigning their church membership and yet more people leaving the church with them. The social network of combined family, friends, and internet, is stronger than the social support that can be provided by a cult with a history of abusive treatment of their members. The church is also too big now. Society expects more from the church than when it was a small cult that few people knew much about. When they knock on your door, the average person is not an uninformed person from the 1950's, or even from the 1980's. Almost every person already knows what Mormonism is about and what bad things the church has done in the past. They're waiting for an apology (and not holding their breath in anticipation). They are not waiting for an invitation to go to Stake Conference. All the invitation to stake conference does is cause them to think 'wow! They really don't get what they've done and are not willing to do anything differently in the future, obviously'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2019 09:48AM by azsteve.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 21, 2019 09:51AM

Mormons should invite their non-mormon friends to FaT meeting.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 21, 2019 11:51AM

I'm having my house painted next month, maybe I should invite my friends to watch the paint dry.

When I was a teenager (a long, long time ago) the ward that I was in didn't have enough active boys to field a basketball team. We were told that we could invite non-members to play if they attended Mutual once a month, and one Sunday meeting per month. I invited my next-door neighbor (an excellent basketball player who didn't play on the high school team because he hated the coach) to play with us. One month, the only Sunday meeting he was available to attend was stake conference. I still remember what he said at the end of the meeting:

"The mind will only comprehend what the butt will allow."

Date: March 21, 2019 12:01PM

CrispingPin Wrote:
> "The mind will only comprehend what the butt will allow."

Hahahahah!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.