Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 10:14PM

Trains are the only civilized way to travel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfFOCRMcmwc

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 10:22PM

Especially in Japan.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 30, 2019 10:12AM

Yup. These women are working outside the home and they have never heard of relief society.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: March 30, 2019 10:44AM

I love the formality and politeness of the Japanese culture.
Watching the "cabin crew" go from car to car, they turn and face the passengers, bow, and then go through the door. Same thing when they enter a new car... I wish America was more like that.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 30, 2019 01:05PM

When you pay at the checkout in Japan, anywhere for about anything, the clerk bows and you bow back. It's the custom there. Also, the money is placed on a coin tray before changing hands.

Japanese very seldom use debit cards or credit cards. It's more cash based system, but I imagine that is changing with the global economic system. I visited there five years ago, and almost everything was currency transaction. You learn quickly where to find the most accommodating ATM's quickly when in Japan. :)

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: April 01, 2019 02:07PM

True with the cash based system. I have been over there probably 5 times in the last 9 yrs. The first time, not being able to use a card everywhere was a bit hard to get used to, but once I figured out the Post Office ATM thing, life was much easier.

I do appreciate the currency transaction tray, it feels very respectful. And the bowing.... wonderful tradition!

Posted by: Tina ( )
Date: April 02, 2019 04:01AM

We see cute ads from tech companies, but the truth is that they want a society where machines replace jobs, surveillance is total and your entire cash supply can be switched off in an instant, so you can't do anything. The LDS may ask you about your life, a cashless, surveillance society will know everything about you but your inner thoughts... And I'm sure they're working on a way to do that

Microchipped humans aren't just the stuff of conspiracy theories - they're already here. It's just a matter of time before we're all strong armed into getting chipped. They'll pretend it's a choice but make it so difficult to function without one, you'll be forced to get it.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 30, 2019 05:20PM

ziller feels bad that U.S. America nuked people with such a polite culture ~

twice ~

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 30, 2019 05:38PM

ziller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ziller feels bad that U.S. America nuked people
> with such a polite culture ~
>
>
To be fair there was an act of aggression that started it (Pearl Harbor)

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: April 01, 2019 09:48AM

That was allowed to happen...

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 01, 2019 06:54PM

Phazer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That was allowed to happen...

Aha! Methinks you have read "Warning and Decision" by Wohlstetter.

Yes, allowed, incompetent, could have been prevented....

Posted by: Tenno Heika ( )
Date: April 02, 2019 04:05AM

Go back further, I'm afraid. The Americans were on the same side as the Japanese in WWI but were squeezed out of the negotiations and reparations the other allies got, and the Japanese also wanted a racial equality clause in international treaties which the Americans turned down... This bred a lot of resentment leading to the events which started WWII.

According to the Asian view, WWII didn't start when Germany invaded Poland, but when Japan invaded China.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 01, 2019 02:38PM

Japanese culture was not as polite as today in the 1930s and early 1940s. What they did in China and Southeast Asia. . .

Posted by: Old Toyota Pickup ( )
Date: March 30, 2019 10:54AM

Totally amazing, Dave. Thanks for posting this.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 01, 2019 10:21PM

I wonder if a GA has flown on a commercial flight captained by a female pilot...his life in the hands of a woman!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.