Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: March 26, 2019 05:52PM

Got my DNA analyzed on 23andme a while back and apparently, they've been tweaking their model. I just went back to look at my analysis, and it's now showing that I'm 0.3% African from an ancestor probably in the 1700s! My racist grandfather would be fit to be tied if he were still around especially since it's from his side of the family!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: March 26, 2019 06:16PM

An adult human body contains 9 to 12 pints of blood. 0.3% of that is certainly much more than "even a drop of negro blood." No priesthood for you!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 26, 2019 06:18PM

My oldest son sent in his spit and got a 00.4% Black is Beautiful finding.

I refuse to participate and thus will never know if it was me or his mother who gave him the B-is-B genes. And since I can't dance, I consider that evidence that it wasn't me.

ETA a missing verb, darn it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2019 06:18PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: March 26, 2019 08:16PM

Good thing you are not in Toronto in the 1960's. We had a new convert get baptized and get the Priesthood. Went to get a Patriarchal blessing. The guy was about to give him a blessing and said wait. Left the room. Came back and said you are of the lineage of Cain. Still gave him the blessing.

He went back and did some research into family lines. Found there was some blood of Cain within his family lines. He told his Priesthood leaders and they undid his Church stuff and he was no longer a member.

True story. I was a young man and really shocked when I was told this but it showed me back then how Priesthood leaders are inspired.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 26, 2019 08:57PM

Why was he no longer a member? The ban was for priesthood and temple ordinances, not membership.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 27, 2019 01:19PM

If it's the person I recall, he walked out the door and it was his choice to no longer be a member because of the way those inspired leader treated the seed of Cain.

Date: March 27, 2019 01:49PM

Back in those days, the only way out was excommunication. In other words, you couldn’t really “choose” to no longer be a member, and you couldn’t resign.

Back in the 1980s, I was in a bishopric. We had a member of our ward who didn’t want to be a member. We held a court, and we excommunicated him. If we had chosen not to excommunicate him, he would have (officially) remained a member at least until the right to resign was legally established.

Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: March 27, 2019 02:03PM

Correct. And Priesthood was told he had been excommunicated. ThT scared me As I was adopted and always wondered if that would happen to when I got my PB. No lack of guilt in those days

Date: March 27, 2019 03:30PM

“No lack of guilt in those days” that’s true. And the sad thing is that the people who felt most guilty had no guilt.

Posted by: jstone ( )
Date: March 27, 2019 06:38PM

The 1978 General Handbooks mention the no-blacks policy in guarded terms. For example Page 22 General Missionary Handbook - "If the candidate (for baptism) is of restricted lineage,you should explain the limitations concerning who may receive the priesthood."

But it's all euphemisms and you know what we mean so we're not going to spell it out kind of stuff. The ghastly first presidency half-wits didn't have the balls to say what they actually "knew" was their loving god's will.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 26, 2019 08:37PM

My maternal lineage is from Devon/Cornwall, England so I probably have some Long John Silver genetics goin' on....AHAR!!

Posted by: theholyhandgrenade ( )
Date: March 26, 2019 09:10PM

Now you know why you've always been somewhat indecisive haha;)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 27, 2019 06:45PM

lineage is. I never liked genealogy. I find it BORING AS HELL.

I love elderolddog's answer about not being able to dance.

Neither my ex nor I can dance, so I can go by that info that we aren't of the seed of Cain. My ex is the worst dancer I've ever seen and he's gay!

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: March 28, 2019 07:24PM

.3% sounds like a fluke or bug. These tests aren't especially accurate anyway and the hard science just isn't there to back up these companies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.