Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 02, 2019 05:23PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 02, 2019 05:48PM

Although I am not Koriwhore, this is a stupendously good article, LW!!

Thank you!!

:)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 09:02AM

If the teeth don't fit you must acquit.

Date: April 03, 2019 12:01PM

And if the joke is shit, you must quit.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 06:02PM

Human evolution is not a tree
with roots from the past
that run straight to you and me,

Its more like a bush
and there is lots to discuss
because there's so many dead branches
and only one that leads to us.

- Taken from "The Hominid Rap"

https://youtu.be/nrcK0tGTrQ8

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 07:05PM

I forget now where I read it...probably on subreddit LDS.

A random mormon True Believer was recounting how he'd defended the church and in that defense, Adam was mentioned as a part of that defense... As in Adam, made from the finest white beach sand (Certainly ghawd did not use 'mud'!!) by ghawd himself.

And naturally, because I have atheistic leanings, whatever point the gentleman was trying to make was immediately rendered null and void. Because in my mind, anything that relies on a belief in the biblical "Adam", the first man on Earth, simply cannot be relied upon. Yeah, 6,000 years ago, or so, a clay model was made and ghawd breathed life into him.

Anyone else recall the somewhat avant-garde notion being put forth by mormon smartypants learned men that evolution was real, but that prior to Nordic stud Adam being selected and doted with a spirit, all hominids were soulless? Evolution as a process was real, but Adam was the first 'man' with a soul, and if ghawd hadn't already gotten rid of the soulless hominds, the Flood finished it up.

Back then, the early 1960s, as a believer in both the church and science, I enjoyed clutching that theory to my heaving bosom.

Date: April 03, 2019 07:24PM

So eve wasn't made from Adam's rib?

I certainly heard the story you retail albeit decades later. God used evolutionary processes to create the right conditions, then called the neighborhood "Eden" and it was off to the races (literally).

The theory made sense to me because it reconciled what appeared to be two contradictory sets of facts. With training in such sophistry, we all should have become lawyers.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 03:42PM

Mormons produce more than their fair share of lawyers, and I think that is for precisely the reason you gave. Missions are also fair training for that kind of sophistry, as is seminary/institute classes.

I kind of think the regular Sunday services don't get into sophistry. They have gone to great lengths to dumb down the content there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2019 03:43PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: April 04, 2019 04:29PM

Yes, the sophistry only worked until the facts became readily available. Now we know that the old theories were just false. That's why there is no doctrine anymore, only obedience.

On Mormon professions, I think there are a number of interesting, albeit sad, points. First, yes, years of studying Mormon doctrine (or the Talmud) give people skills in reading and construing vague statements that are valuable in the legal world.

But many years in brutal developing countries also taught me some other things. One is that in a totalitarian polity bright young people generally avoid politics, economics, history--things that could put you in conflict with the government--because they put you on the highway to prison or worse. Law (usually), medicine, engineering, dentistry, etc., are the way to go. They bring status and money without the risk of offending some authority who could easily ruin your life. So yes, the prevalence of doctors, dentists, lawyers, and businessmen in Mormon communities strikes me as a predictable response to the authority structure.

Also relevant, however, in a complementary way, is the effect of intellectual security. Mormons believe they have all the answers to life's difficult questions; they know how to get to heaven. So what is left in the here and now? Earning money and enjoying a high standard of living.

I think these factors go a long way in explaining there are so many Mormon dentists.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 02:34PM

"Denisovans were a pretty tight-nit group."

"They interbred with the ancestors of some living humans."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OVRLKI0MK4

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 08:44PM

Cool article,
But I am skeptical until we have more than a tooth.
I will wait'll Paabo Svante and his team of ancient human geneticists weighs in on how closely Denisovans are to this newly discovered Homo Sapiens, Wise Man.
That'd make 5 species of Homo Sapiens, Wise Men, besides us, Homo Sapiens Sapiens.
Where is any mention of that in any Holy Writ.
Perhaps Adam was Homo Sapiens Idaltu, the First Wise Man.
And Eve was Homo Erectus, Robustus, Neanderthal, Denisovan.
AkA, a fuckin Awesome Woman.
What it means to me is that the story told by fossil remains alone is far more complex, ancient, fascinating. Sophisticated, interesting than any other narrative written by man.
Then throw in the narrative written on our DNA.
Genius.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2019 08:49PM by koriwhore.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 08:59PM

Toss out any other narrative about race and look at what our DNA says.
Africans are the only pure Homo Sapiens Sapiens.
The rest of us are mutts.
Europeans and Asians are 3% Neanderthal (on Average)
Asians/American Indians are up to another 5% Denisovan.
Africans are neither.
But they are mutts too. They, we, came from our predecessor, Homo Sapiens Idaltu, the First Wise Man, Elder.
He mated with many of the 14 other species of Humans with whom he coexisted, including Cro Magnon, Robustus, Heidebergensis, the list is long.
He basically fucked anything with 2 legs and walked upright.
Sometimes it produced fertile offspring, in which case he was a motherfucker and other times he was just a fucker who created infertile bastards.
Kinda like Game of Thrones, only no dragons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2019 09:01PM by koriwhore.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.