Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 11:48AM

I read this just now and I physically shuddered.

"does not expect other people to accept and agree with it, but that it would suffice if they just respect the nation in the same way that it also respects them."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/lgbt-community-flees-brunei-following-inhumane-new-stoning-laws/ar-BBVvNpN?ocid=spartandhp

Said by a government getting ready to stone people.

The reason I shuddered was because not only is it terrifying that in their intent to kill people brutally and barbarically they expect their people to respect them in doing it. And then I had an aha moment.

It sounded so familiar. A dictatorial appeal for respect. Where had I experienced that the most. Ah, The Mormon Church. It could disrespect people's relatives in baptizing their names. It could intrude onto people's property with their religious canvasing. It could meddle in government. It could play power politics. It could do whatever it wanted in the name of doing it with a higher power and demand respect in so doing.

I think The Mormon Church expects respect. They won't stone gay people but they sure as Hell don't care much for them and expects people to respect their disrespect for the dignity of humanity regardless of human category.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 11:54AM

Respect their authori-tie !!!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 11:54AM

Exactly.

Respect must be earned. For too long, religion had been demanding respect and people go along with it. Dictators often work in tandem with religion using the same tactics because, well, Dear Leader needs respect.

Date: April 03, 2019 05:04PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dictators often work in tandem with religion
> using the same tactics because, well, Dear Leader
> needs respect.

So true and why? Because Dear Leader does a lot of disrespectful things so to get any they need to resort to terrible tactics.

Posted by: logged out this week ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 12:15PM

It's not just respect they demand, but *deference.* They expect others to go out of their way to accommodate them ("You can't attend our temple wedding, but you CAN sit outside and babysit the kids!" "Stop calling us Mormon! It's a slur, just like the N-word!") while they get to act however they choose to other groups.

Mormons want to have their way, everywhere and all the time. Anything less is religious persecution in their eyes.

Date: April 03, 2019 05:05PM

logged out this week Wrote:
> Anything less is religious persecution
> in their eyes.

Anything less religious requires persecution in their eyes. Start throwing stones...

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 12:25PM

I don't think it's high on their list.
Compliance, Yes.
Unquestioned loyalty, Yes
Tithing,Of Course.
I don't think they care how much members respect them, just do the above 3 and they're good.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 12:27PM

In this context, I think "respect" is supposed to mean, "Shut up."

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 01:59PM

The church demands respect.

My Mom has an old scrap book to the church that is probably more dear to her than my baby picture album (which fell apart and she isn't too concerned that it's missing most of the pictures). So in this regal scrap book that got a big RS craft project makeover a few years ago, there's a program of the big church meetinghouse dedication.

It lists the names of 3 of the county supervisors that agreed to participate in the dedication of the church project. It lists one more that was thanked for his support of the church project, but was unable to attend.

At the very bottom (and it really stands out) there is this curiosity. As members of the COJCLDS, we would like for Mike ____ to understand that this project will go forward despite his personal reservations about NOT supporting this church project as part of the building of Zion.

A nice subtle hint for members to vote out the enemy of the church.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 09:06PM

Brilliant, EB! Your analogy was most interesting to read, and the examples you provide couldn't be more perfect. Thank you for starting what will surely become a fascinating thread :)

Date: April 04, 2019 11:18AM

Thanks, stoning gay people or turning them to stone (like Lot's Wife turned to salt) because they are gay is a flash point for modern people to evaluate religion. When religions and governments have to explicitly state they need respect is a sign to me that they are probably not deserving it. Brunei and Mormonism obviously don't.

The human soul if one exists is beyond cultural control and religious beliefs based more upon cultural control than personal and individual enlightenment are dinosaurs bludgeoning people with their weight and smallmindedness.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 05:31PM

Personally, I don't think the MormonCult even knows what the word means.

The Cult is well aware of some words - obedience, lying, cover-up, hiding, tithing, persecution, arrogance - just to name a few. But I do think the word respect is missing in their vocabulary.

Date: April 05, 2019 11:54AM

presleynfactsrock Wrote:
> But I do think
> the word respect is missing in their vocabulary.

I think you are right. Respecting others isn't a part of much or most of Mormonism. Now respect for authority....

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 02:06PM

A nevermo perspective: TSSC very much wants respect from the world, craves it in fact. Does not like getting laughed at, doesn't even like getting ignored.

But has little interest in actually doing things that the world respects.

Can be dragged kicking and screaming from doing things that the world disrespects, like bigotry.

None of these facts are popular inside, is my sense. But that's how the vast majority of the world sees things -- when it has any opinion at all. Mostly the world doesn't much care.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.