Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 05:23PM

Supposition - claiming to have a "health code" built into your religion yet never doing anything else with it but mostly ignore it leads children growing up in Mormonism to think they are fine to eat whatever and whenever they want.

If the Mormon kids even read Section 89, they never question why they aren't vegetarians in the Summer or why they can eat things out of season, or grains stipulated against in their "scripture."

Their highest leader says that their scripture and science are compatible.

"President Russell M. Nelson, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and a renowned heart surgeon, has talked about how religion and science fit together.
“There is no conflict between science and religion,” he said. “Conflict only arises from an incomplete knowledge of either science or religion, or both. … Whether truth comes from a scientific laboratory or by revelation from the Lord, it is compatible.”4 "
https://www.lds.org/study/new-era/2016/07/science-and-our-search-for-truth?lang=eng

What a liar considering he is a "doctor."

Their former health care provider prophet can't even make his own Section 89 compatible with the growing body of nutritional science coming against all the "sodelicious" syrupy sugar laden diets of his adherents. And does he care?

Take your vitamins Mormons cause you probably aren't getting them in your diets.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 05:49PM

Good points, EB. Also, something that bugs me still, years later. The rule against missionaries eating at members' homes unless there's a ripe prospect also present. I don't know if that just happened in my area or if it was church-wide but it was a big change from previously when members were happy to feed the missionaries regularly. I personally knew of a significant number of missionaries who often went hungry. Many of them didn't have sufficient money to buy enough food to have at least two good meals a day (as they were often out at lunchtime so I assume they skipped that meal). How healthy is this for adolescents/young adults? Not!

There was a time when I "discerned" that one group of three comps was particularly hungry. Not through supernatural powers but rather because I have exceptionally acute hearing. From quite a distance away at a church meeting I heard a group of mishies talking to their ZL, who I knew well. It was their air of frantic desperation that really caught my attention. All the missionaries had gone from frequently eating evening meals with members to zero meals out as our area was saturated and nobody had multiple interested parties to invite over for dinner and discussions with missionaries. I guess this particular group of three mishies had even less money than the others. They actually *looked* skinny and hungry. What kind of sane adult leaders would invoke a new rule against young missionaries having access to guaranteed meals? It wasn't like they had a lot of cash floating around to fill in the yawning gaps between dinner dates with members after that rule was dreamed up.

I ended up taking over a trunkload of groceries to their apartment with the ZL's aid and presence. Of course they thought that Mormon God had answered their prayers for food. They were AMAZED and bemused that these groceries fell out of the sky for them but really it was just because of my good ears that the issue came to my attention and I could do something about it. We had to sneak it though as the missionaries at that point were even nervous about accepting groceries. It says a lot about how ridiculous and cruel it was that even the *very* obedient, responsible, trusted ZL was in on the attempts to help the others out, under the radar.

I was just thinking the other day about the time I was in SLC and the father of one of those missionaries took me out for lunch to thank me for feeding his hungry son. I thought that was very nice of him. He looked sick about it though, the thought of that experience his son had to endure, but he didn't discuss it with me in detail or complain about the leaders, as all "good" Mormons are expected to obey, obey, obey, and pay up, and shut up. If it wasn't a church-wide rule and just imposed by local leaders that is even more unjust. But either way, a terrible way to treat its people, the missionaries and ward members alike. Who could think this was inspiration from God? Jesus and the 5000 anyone?

It can be a total downer thinking about how utterly miserable Mormonism can make its members. Tragic to live life that way.

Mormonism and health? Does not compute. Physically or mentally or emotionally, in my experience.

Date: April 04, 2019 12:41PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormonism and health? Does not compute. Physically
> or mentally or emotionally, in my experience.

The trinity of Mormon badness. Taught to believe lies, ignore wisdom, and use emotional coercion on loved ones.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 10:01PM

As a former nurse, I could not agree more :(

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 10:01PM

As a former nurse, I couldn't agree more :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2019 10:09PM by cinda.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 11:17PM

Haha. Funny double post. You couldn't agree more - x 2! :)

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 09:25AM

The sugar addiction among Mormons is frightening.

Date: April 04, 2019 11:02AM

One could be led to believe suffering diabetes was a sign of holiness in Mormonism.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 11:42AM

I am still angry some 25 years later about the church not conducting basic health screening for its missionaries. I sent a missionary back to his home in Las Vegas. He stayed on the mission for 26 months. Yes, he requested to stay two months and his request was approved. Three weeks after arriving home, he was hospitalized after not being able to recover from a grand mal seizure (he suffered from epilepsy). He died within the first day in the hospital to pancreatic cancer. He was likely diabetic as a missionary, but his blood sugar went uncontrolled. A mandatory health screening most likely would have caught this.

The only thing church leaders could say about this young man was that it was a terrible shame that he failed to make it to the celestial kingdom. They said that he would forever labor as a servant because he failed to marry in the temple and procreate.

Date: April 04, 2019 03:41PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only thing church leaders could say about this
> young man was that it was a terrible shame that he
> failed to make it to the celestial kingdom. They
> said that he would forever labor as a servant
> because he failed to marry in the temple and
> procreate.

<Sarcasm> He was probably masturbating so God wanted him to fail to marry in the temple and procreate. <\Sarcasm>

Date: April 04, 2019 03:42PM

This person sums it up perfectly short and succinct.

"Finally, the (italics)current position of the LDS Church is that over eating is NOT a disqualifier for membership in good standing, where as caffeinated coffee consumption is, a convenient prioritization very opposite of modern understanding."
https://www.fairmormon.org/blog/2013/01/02/fair-questions-4-whats-wrong-with-masturbation#comment-77398

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.