Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 05:41PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/04/03/she-fled-jewish-taliban-sect-with-her-children-then-kidnappers-tracked-them-down/

Formed in Israel in the late 1980s, the Lev Tahor group sits on the extreme edge of the Jewish tradition; the 200 or so members have a white-knuckled embrace on an uncompromising interpretation of religious doctrine, one that allegedly includes child marriage.

Their strict practices have put them in conflict with authorities in four countries, prompting the members to hop the globe for safe haven. Recent court documents allege children in the group have been the targets of “physical, sexual and emotional abuse." According to the Israeli newspaper Haaretz, the country’s press has dubbed Lev Tahor the “Jewish Taliban.”

The Lev Tahor — which translates as “pure heart” and stems from a passage from Psalms — was created by founder Shlomo Helbrans in the late 1980s in Jerusalem. Born to secular Jews, he eventually embraced a strict interpretation of Orthodox faith that, according to Haaretz, “aspires to attain the utmost purity by shedding the corrupting influences that, [Helbrans] says, pollute mainstream ultra-Orthodox groups, let alone other forms of Judaism."

The strain of religion Helbrans preached covered everything from an extreme take on kosher food (no chicken, no vegetable skins, lettuce only on Passover), prayer (longer and louder than traditional services), and dress (women in the Lev Tahor group are required to wear black robes from head to feet).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 05:58PM

I know of no Jews outside of Lev Tahor who approve of Lev Tahor or any of their practices.

Lev Tahor operates totally outside the bounds of normative Judaism, and is a shonda ("disgrace," "shame," abomination) on the Jewish people.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 08:36PM

I worked with a young lady named Shonda!

I would never call her a disgrace!

Date: April 04, 2019 08:40PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I worked with a young lady named Shonda!
>
> I would never call her a disgrace!

I wonder, what were her parents thinking when they named her?

Date: April 04, 2019 08:49PM

Well, she and her parents were Black, so I think they just wanted something catchy, different. I certainly did know that the name had a Jewish connection. And this was years ago, so she was on the cutting edge, so to speak.

Do Whiteys (Gavachos) think it strange that Jesus (Hay-sus) is such a popular name in Mexico and points south?

Customs and tradition; mine make sense, yours don't...

Date: April 04, 2019 09:19PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, she and her parents were Black, so I think
> they just wanted something catchy, different. I
> certainly did know that the name had a Jewish
> connection. And this was years ago, so she was on
> the cutting edge, so to speak.

Shonda (a combination of Shona and Rhonda), Lashonda, and Shawnda are all African-American first names for girls.

The word "shanda" or "shonda" (pronunciation depends on the specific area of European origin), is Yiddish.

> Do Whiteys (Gavachos) think it strange that Jesus
> (Hay-sus) is such a popular name in Mexico and
> points south?

This gavacha was the recipient of an unforgettable lesson in how to pronounce the Spanish first name "Jesus" when I was in junior high school. I was helping the boy's vice-principal (a formidable guy) proof a list of names, and I came to "Jesus"--which I pronounced in the only way I knew: CHE-sus. The boy's vice was visibly shocked by my ignorance, and he shouted out "hey-SUS!" so loudly it must have been heard a hundred feet away.

I was horribly embarrassed at my ignorance, and in all the years since, I have never, ever forgotten that particular lesson in Spanish pronunciation.

> Customs and tradition; mine make sense, yours
> don't...

This doesn't actually apply to me. Ever since the "Jesus" catastrophe (and it WAS a 'catastrophe,' from my junior high perspective), I have spent much of my life learning how to do it "their" way. Books, articles, and pamphlets on "How to Behave in ----- " form one of the significant parts of my book and research collection, since junior high school.

If I can prevent it, I will NEVER again make the "Jesus" mistake.

(Which doesn't mean I haven't made my share of cross-cultural boo-boos, but I my attempt is to keep them to the smallest minimum possible.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2019 09:25PM by Tevai.

Date: April 04, 2019 09:35PM

You're human...eventually you'll forget and you'll ask the plump bank teller you see two or three times a week when the baby is due.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 09:10AM

Are these the assholes that spit on little girls ?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.