Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 05:37PM

Value calculated by Matt Martinich.

Please add your comments to my related thread:

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2211381

Edit: 140,868 resignations ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2019 05:44PM by 3X.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 06:39PM

They say 2/3 of the church are inactive. Rounding the numbers that’s 4 million active members with probably less than 2 million active priesthood leaders. I always heard leadership is the biggest challenge in the church. Looking at the numbers that is probably valid.

140,868 exits hurt. Especially if they are people with leadership skills. Either priesthood holders or relief society president types.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 06:52PM

Super.....and may that number only increase.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 06:56PM

On radio west yesterday they did a segment about the policy reversal and said that there was 60,000 resignations just after the policy announcement in 2015 with 10% of some particular ward in Salt Lake resigning. They didn't count how many went inactive.

The Stats were given by a guest on the program who is suppose to be in the know with the apostles. So take it with a grain of salt....

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 07:01PM

There were 340,000 new members last year (including births). So they are leaking about half of what they are taking in...

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 07:26PM

macaRomney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So they are leaking about half
> of what they are taking in...

And that's just the official resignations. The vast majority of "converts" walk away within the first two years — sometimes within the first few days.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 07:34PM

olderelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> macaRomney Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So they are leaking about half
> > of what they are taking in...
>
>
> And that's just the official resignations. The
> vast majority of "converts" walk away within the
> first two years — sometimes within the first few
> days.

Yes. That was me, 18 months. I did not resign I just left.

It irks me that I did not sign a contract to join so why should I sign something to leave? Especially with a lawyer. I can dodge them and be non-responsive and that’s enough for me plus I plan on moving soon anyway so they can kiss my ass goodbye.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 07:43PM

From the Trib article:

The removals could be caused by a number of factors, Martinich said.

It could be due to more children born during these years who reached baptism age of 8, but were not baptized. It might reflect more deaths due to an aging church membership, he said. Or it could signal that more individuals requested to have their names removed from church records, which may have increased in 2018 “compared to previous years.”

So what he is calculating is the total loss of reported membership from all causes including deaths (of course,its accuracy depends on the honesty of TSCC reporting). As TSCC gets bigger, the number of deaths will certainly go up. The total number of members lost will thus also go up regardless of what happens with resignations. The important figure will be the ratio of members lost/total membership.

That being said, the net increase of only 195,566 is not encouraging for the church.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 10:27PM

Its a good start. The latest divine flip flop is bound to get MORmONS to wake TF up.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 10:40PM

Shame on the GAs for never admitting the failures (new programs, etc) of Mormonism.

Correlation took the fun out years back, now the younger members don't even miss it because they never had it.

At least some of the other churches/religions put a little fun 'sex appeal' in their presentations, it doesn't matter much what form it comes in.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.