Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 08:28PM

In my Saturday newspaper, there is a page dedicated to religious events. Tonight there was one that was interesting: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (with the address) invites you to celebrate the Atonement and Resurrection on Palm Sunday, April 14.

I am aware that Easter is not big in the Mormon church, but if the church is interested in becoming more Christian mainstream, why would they celebrate Easter at the beginning of Holy Week (Palm Sunday) and not on Easter Day itself which would be the following Sunday?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 08:40PM

They got the date wrong? Just a guess. :)

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 08:45PM

Obviously they don't know the difference between Palm Sunday and Easter.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 09:01PM

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

The date isn't important, because, the meeting isn't really about Christ and the Atonement. It's about using Jesus to get new members. Palm Sunday, Easter Sunday, what's the difference to Mormons?

Imagine the visitors' delight, when the Mormons tell them that Jesus' Atonement doesn't save us ALL, and that it saves only tithe-paying Mormons, and, for a fee of 10% of their income for life, the visitors can become Mormons in a few easy steps, and thereby quickly be saved, after all! Whew!

Mormons use the Madison Advertising ploy of first creating a problem (not being saved) and then providing a solution (be baptized a Mormon).

LOL! That invitation would be a huge red flag to Christians!

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 09:51PM

Oh Ex you slay me, you really do!

Of course the date doesn’t matter silly me! In fact they should have it in July so the weather will be sure to be warm!

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2019 09:52PM by mel.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 01:32PM

When you think about it, having Jesus' birthday on April 6th and his crucifixion with a couple of weeks, give or take before or after 4/6, it leaves the rest of the year for all the real important stuff like tithing, temple work, cleaning ward houses and what ever callings the profit can dream up in the middle of the night.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 01:59PM

Yes. Easter Sunday is when I do a face palm.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 04:12PM

Maybe they have become sufficiently self-aware to realize you do not win conventional Christians with Mormonism's awful Easter services.

More likely, though, is they know conventional Christians are highly unlikely to give up the Easter service at their own church for whatever the Mormons might be offering.

And I suspect the Mormons think, "Okay, they're more likely to come on Palm Sunday. Then, if we do a good presentation we can invite them for Easter, and the week after, and the week after. Before they know it they're coming every week."

Mormons are delusional.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 04:22PM

Plenty of them out there. They might have been taken to church when little, go once in a while, a wedding here, a funeral there. Some of them hit a point in life where they feel a little church in their life might be a good idea. Easter and Christmas can provoke those feelings.

"So, maybe I'll go to church this Easter, check it out. Which church? Mormons seem like nice people. Maybe I'll give them a try..."

And off they go, only to encounter a very un-Christian Easter service. "Wow, that was weird! Maybe I've had enough Christianity for a lifetime..."

Another burned-out soul. The Adversary wins again.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 04:50PM

Why would anyone that considers himself/herself Christian want to waste it through a mormon service dedicated to Jesus Smith?

That's like going to a JW service to praise Jehovah.

If a person wants a truly great Easter service, there's plenty of churches to choose from.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.