Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:06PM

I first hears of RfM at a Seminary Symposium given at BYU in 1997. I was a seminary teacher. In his presentation, one of the leaders let it slip out how evil those anti-mormon sites were.

I jotted down the letters of the site and came home, and with great dread, entered RfM. I started reading the stories and just couldn’t stop reading—one story after another—stories that resonated so harmoniously with my experiences.

There were already a great number of interesting posters—Jiggs, Makurosu, DebbiePA, Red Pill, Jiggs, Stray Mutt, Paul from Idaho, Sebastian, Scytherius, sP and Dr. Shades, LOHim, Aussie John, Yossarian and Packham, Deconstructor and Ripman. The board was really hoppin’ with intelligent and thoughtful talk.
By the turn of the century, somehow the board had lost some of its frontal lobe check and turned into a shouting angry place. People started dropping out. But some of us were hangers on and stayed until, as Gracie put it, “The Explosion of 9-11.”
It’s been many years since I started here, but I come back from time to time just to thank Eric for changing my life for the better. I was a mother of several children, and was terrified that leaving the church would harm them. But I can say that they are all happy, productive people. They are good people, serving others, being everything I hoped for when I was active in the church. For anyone who is staying in the church “for their children,” my children can be an example that all can be well. My children have thanked me many times for my example.

Thank you Eric.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 07, 2019 06:08PM

Corrections: I first "HEARD"

And...the speaker actually said the name of the site--"RfM" That's the first time I'd heard of it.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:14PM

Thank you, Eric, from me, too.

Thank you so much.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:17PM

You contributed your share of thoughtful posts, Dimmesdale!
Glad you are doing OK.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:33PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You contributed your share of thoughtful posts,
> Dimmesdale!
> Glad you are doing OK.

Me, too!!

Date: April 07, 2019 10:42PM

Dagny...how could I have left you off my list! A great contributor. Who else did I forget?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:27PM

Wow, Dimmesdale, you've been on RfM for as long as it's been around.

Thank you for being here too! I didn't find RfM until stumbling across it in 2015. I am so thankful to have found it when I did. Before then I just thought that ex-Mormons suffered in silence after leaving TSCC. It was such a relief to know I wasn't alone.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:14PM

It's good to hear from you, Dimmesdale. I've been on RFM, off and on, for about 10 years.

Thanks for your success story! My children and grandchildren have also turned out to be everything I dreamed for them to be. I was a divorced single working mother, and the main reason I remained in the cult was that I thought it was good for my children. When I discovered that the leaders were abusing my children, and other children as well, I took my kids out of there, and never looked back. If I had continued to push my kids to go to church, I'm sure our family would have been torn to pieces. I don't have a huge "frontal lobe", but taught elementary school, read a lot of (non-Mormon) books on raising toddlers and teens, and I put my children first, and am raising them with LOVE, and we are a very close-knit, loyal, caring family.

Looking back, it has always been good to know I'm not alone! The posters here gave me the courage to stand up to the Mormon bullies, and say, "We are out of here! Leave us alone!" I could never thank Eric and RFM and the posters enough for their advice, support, and humor!

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 12:02AM

And. of course, SuzieQ#1

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 08:59AM

Hi. Remember me?

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 12:09PM

They are some of the ones I miss. How could I possibly forget TIMOTHY!!!

I remember you well, too. Glad you came back to say Thanks to Eric. This board helped me heal.

I still come here for support especially when things like my daughter getting married in the temple happened or I'm just bored with work and need something to read.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 12:10PM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 01:07PM

Flattop?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 01:11PM

MS Mom, J... Schweizerkind...

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 12:33PM

Hi Dimmesdale, I remember way back then. It is about when I this place also and I have always enjoyed your posts. The board seems a much more serious place now than it was then. I don't spend as much time here as I used to but I like to check in a couple of times a week.

Also a big thanks from me to all those who keep this place going.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 01:11PM

I came here 10 years after you, Dimmesdale, but I remember you posting here at various times - because I've been interested in your posts and because I like your pseudonym ;-)

Glad to hear you're well and thriving

Tom in Paris

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 02:06PM

Hey Dimmesdale! Wow... lots of names from the past. Hey Phil!

Mak, StrayMutt, RedPill, EXMOPHILO, Dr. Shades... ahh the good old days. Deconstuctor was great! Wish he would stop in. Anbody heard from him.

But to the point... Eric saved many of us back in the early nineties. EXMO's were unheard of and not near as cool back then.

HH =)

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 03:20PM

I always looked forward to her postings.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 06:54PM

I can't fault you for not mentioning my name dimmy but I did arrive here shortly after the Bensons first showed up.

I have missed seeing your posts.

It always warms my cockles to see old formerly mormon faces who are enjoying the best vengeance of all....living well.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 09:57PM

What a fantastic establishment RFM is. Glad to hear from you Dimmesdale; about your happy family, and about the earlier days, and posters, of this great place, and of how your found it.

I've been here a short while, about 8-9 years, off and on, and too find it to be a great resource for information and entertainment, not to mention joy.

Oh boy!
lol

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 09:23AM

Thanks for the kind words. I am thrilled that the site has helped folks like yourself. Life is so much better outside of Mormonism.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 10:13AM

Yes, Eric and his board saved my sanity more times than I can count.

There are still some of us old-timers here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2019 06:59PM by Heidi GWOTR.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 10:32AM

I’m still waiting for GetBusyLivin to show up again. Miss that guy!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.