Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Valium and Pepsi ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 08:20PM

at the beginning of sacrament meeting?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 09:06PM

Talked with a friend today. He's worried that since he doesn't have internet he won't know what's going on in the ward.

Posted by: kingherodcosell ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 05:07PM

There are no activities to report. There is nothing going on in TSCC except to “pay, pray and obey”

Date: April 08, 2019 09:31PM

I know. Mormons aren't supposed to visit in the foyer or hallways or in meetings, so how are they supposed to know anything that's going on? Especially, if you don't join in with the gossiping.

Do they still have a ward bulletin board?

"Announcements" were the only interesting part of the whole Sunday! Really! That was in the old days. Maybe, these days, there isn't anything to announce, anyway, with all the activities gone. Easter and Christmas haven't been any kind of big deal for the Mormons. Weddings are forbidden to most, Births and deaths won't be announced, unless the baby is blessed in the ward, or the funeral is held in the ward. What a bland, boring cult.

Date: April 08, 2019 09:33PM

I suppose the Mormon wards don't have the "Ward Bulletin" fliers either, do they?

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 01:41AM

getting to know each other?

It sounds like they just want them to show up on time for their meetings, go through the prescribed rituals like programmed robots and then get the hell out of the building as fast as possible, without engaging in any unauthorized conversations with fellow members. Am I understanding the current situation correctly?

How could such a church be appealing to anyone?

For a while (after leaving the LSD Church), I spent some time attending a nearby Methodist church just for kicks. The most enjoyable part was the coffee-and-donut "fellowship" gathering that they had for about 30~45 minutes after the formal worship service. It was just people standing around, getting to know each other and talking about whatever they wanted to talk about. Everyone was free to go as soon as they wanted or free to stay as long as they wanted. Freedom. The LSD Church has been at war with that word for as long as I remember...and it looks like they're on the verge of total victory.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 04:53PM

Wally Prince Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> getting to know each other?
>
> It sounds like they just want them to show up on
> time for their meetings, go through the prescribed
> rituals like programmed robots and then get the
> hell out of the building as fast as possible,
> without engaging in any unauthorized conversations
> with fellow members. Am I understanding the
> current situation correctly?
>
> How could such a church be appealing to anyone?
>
> For a while (after leaving the LSD Church), I
> spent some time attending a nearby Methodist
> church just for kicks. The most enjoyable part
> was the coffee-and-donut "fellowship" gathering
> that they had for about 30~45 minutes after the
> formal worship service. It was just people
> standing around, getting to know each other and
> talking about whatever they wanted to talk about.
> Everyone was free to go as soon as they wanted or
> free to stay as long as they wanted. Freedom.
> The LSD Church has been at war with that word for
> as long as I remember...and it looks like they're
> on the verge of total victory.

The church tried to emulate that back in the 1990s. It was called a linger longer and featured food. Surprise! The ones that were really into it were the youth and young adults.

I have no idea why it went away. Maybe it was the "it's not spiritual enough" or it was somehow costing the church money.

Date: April 18, 2019 08:10PM

particularly if at many wards the members were using the kitchen facilities in the building.

I remember visiting my sister around sometime in the early 2000s and she was trying to prepare refreshments for something like and was grumbling about how it would be easier if they could use the kitchen at church.

I asked why they couldn't use the kitchen and she said that it was off limits for insurance reasons. Apparently the church could get cheaper insurance on the building if they stopped using the kitchen that had always been in the building and had always been used before. But now the kitchen was off limits so that the church could pay lower premiums.

That's how it was explained to me and I don't know if that was a church-wide policy. But I couldn't get over the fact that once again the Church was treating the local members like idiot children and making things harder on the members in order to pinch pennies.

Posted by: JerBear ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 09:41PM

Our ward has a weekly bulletin they pass out that has most of the announcements. There is also a facebook page that is updated weekly and a cellphone text list. So we keep well informed of happenings.

Date: April 08, 2019 10:09PM

Thanks. It seems strange the Morg would push its members to join Facebook! I thought they were opposed to the internet.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 10:18PM

Yes, in fact, this Sunday it will be announced, "Brothers and Sisters, the new and updated bathroom cleaning schedule will be available at the conclusion of this meeting. Please take a moment to ponder the sacredness of cleaning the Lord's chapel, and know that He will bless you for your efforts in this holy duty, even Jesus the Christ, Amen."

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 11:06PM

Ha! Ha! They have been making announcements in sacrament meeting since I’ve been on the planet. All a sudden announcements are bad and saying Mormon is bad. The old dudes running the church have lost it.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 04:45PM

Rubicon Wrote:
> Ha! Ha! They have been making announcements in sacrament meeting since I’ve been on the planet. All a sudden announcements are bad and saying Mormon is bad. The old dudes running the church have lost it.

Maybe since the announcements weren't 'correllated' and approved ahead of time, they are no longer permitted?

Yes it is strange that they have said not to do that, because it did serve as a community-building type of thing, when the Bishop would talk about: we are doing thing, or that, next week, or we have done this. Wonder if the wards are sticking to the prohibition? Well I won't be going back to find out!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 11:47PM

I notice the sign outside of the local community of christ church brags about them serving coffee and tea.

Date: April 17, 2019 04:45PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> I notice the sign outside of the local community
> of christ church brags about them serving coffee
> and tea.

Funny!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 12:02AM

So we at RFM predict:

-church will become even more sterile
-sacrament meeting is already as boring as possible with set prayers
-talks are taken from general conference
-testimonies are directed how to be said
-no announcements
-no talking before during and after sacrament mtg

Thank you top leaders!
If that doesn't drive more people away then your members are truly robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw4sZmeFoa8

Date: April 17, 2019 04:47PM

messygoop Wrote:

> Thank you top leaders!
> If that doesn't drive more people away then your
> members are truly robots.

I guess they will all know each other from Institute of BYU and anyone who wasn't in that won't be permitted/allowed/encouraged to chat or get to know anybody.

Welcome (not)!

Date: April 09, 2019 12:12AM

The janitor got up to the pulpit and said: "Eeeew! Someone wiped a booger on the pulpit!"

He then turned off the microphone, turned off the lights and left the building.

But, for some reason, that was not posted on the official website.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 03:18PM

The question is though, did the booger glow in the dark after the lights were off, because if the booger glowed in the dark - it was very likely Jesus' booger (or his dad or the holy ghost). Their booger's glow in the dark.

Date: April 18, 2019 01:49AM

that was so badly burned that it was charcoalized and could not be used to make a proper somemore treat. But as dark and crispy as it was on the outside, there was a faint red glow on the inside that could be seen through the cracks and a magma-like oozing off to one side. It was hot and when the janitor sprayed some water on it, the water immediately evaporated into a cloud of hot steam that smelled like sulfur.

Based on that, I understand that the Brethren may have concluded that it was a demonic booger and that's why they have tried to ignore it. There has literally been an epidemic of demonic boogers plaguing the Church Office Building since the April 2018 and they don't know what to do about it. They've tried dabbing at them with consecrated oil, but have gotten severely burned by oil spatters each time that technique has been tried.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 04:23PM

How will anyone know when it is time to go back to Missouri?!

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 07:01PM

I wonder if they'll announce Nelson's death from the pulpit?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 10:58PM

So they aren't doing announcements? And they shortened the time between meetings so no gossiping in the hallways, etc.? What? That was half of church. No wonder my daughter is distressed about the 3 hour block being changed. I didn't know about that part of it. She doesn't like the hour of self study either. Wait until she has KIDS!!! I was going to be the perfect little mormon mother, too. Then I had kids.

Date: April 18, 2019 01:56AM

"Brothers and sisters, before we get started, we have some double-plus non-announcements to cover. For our first non-announcement, we want you to not be made aware of the fact that Brother Snottblow will be having a 50th wedding anniversary party and all of you are hereby officially not informed of the fact that you are all invited. The location of the party that will absolutely not be announced is the "Big Balls Bowling Alley" on 5th street, which has been rented by Brother Snottblow for this special occasion. Please remember that you never heard anything about it announced here."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 02:24AM

With Russ at the helm... One has to wonder how & why these changes come about.

One thing for sure, most of us can't recall the last time a true 'Revelation' was even claimed let alone GASP actually occurred.

eta: Perhaps since they haven't come up with anything serious/substantial for quite a while... they don't want petty announcements over-shadowing the FP / COB drivvel they've spouted since... 1978,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2019 02:27AM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.