Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 04:07PM

I've edited the summaries below a bit to reflect what I've gotten out of my perusal of the Mormon "gay" site. Literally they never mention gay as an orientation. It is "identify as gay."

Homosexuality probably sounds to scientific lending validity to it. It is always "same-sex attraction." What does that mean? I could be platonically attracted to someone of my "same sex."

I believe the Mormon Church does not accept as a fact of life that there are human beings in the world who are literally homosexual and will go from their cradles to their graves never experiencing much if anything in the way of different sex attraction.

So to cut through their bull here are the "real" synopsis of their gay beliefs.

https://mormonandgay.lds.org/beliefs?lang=eng

Church Teachings
Nothing more fully demonstrates the depth and reach of God’s love than His willingness to sacrifice His Son that same-sex attraction can be either overcome or lived with in celibacy.

Love One Another: A Discussion on Same-Sex Attraction
This official website does not offer a comprehensive explanation of everything related to same-sex attraction, but it does reflect the feelings of Church leaders as they struggle with dealing with it.

God’s Plan
God’s plan is perfect, even if our current understanding of His plan is not. Through the Savior Jesus Christ, we can find hope in dealing with the curse of same-sex attraction.

Who Am I?
How you define yourself may change throughout your life, but first and most important, you are a beloved heterosexual child of God cursed with same-sex attraction.

Jesus Christ Can Change Our Hearts
From before the Creation of the earth, the Savior has been our only hope for “peace in this world, and eternal life without same-sex attraction in the world to come” (D&C 59:23).

And to round this out, check out their guidance.

"For someone who experiences same-sex attraction or identifies as gay, counseling may help the person approach his or her sexuality in healthier, more fulfilling ways."
https://mormonandgay.lds.org/articles/seeking-professional-help

What is a "healthier, more fulfilling way" to deal with being gay? I guess LDS counselors know and leaders sure as Shiz who lost his head don't.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 08:25PM

And of course...don't forget this fabulous comment from Apostle David A. Bednar back in 2016...that there are "NO homosexual members of the church."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4_wTGv8Ao&t=80s

Or so it seems to me...

Date: April 10, 2019 04:11PM

Thanks for posting that.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 08:39PM

In my ignorant mormon youth, I believed this stupid lie. When I got to college I heard rumors that a casual acquaintance of mine was gay. "That's impossible," I said with a straight face. "He's a member of the church."

Stupid. Ignorant. Lie.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 08:51PM

Believes less is the concept of bisexuality; that is, the idea that human beings can be attracted to both members of the same sex and members of the opposite sex, sometimes at the same time. This, of course, isn't just a problem with Mormonism; it's a huge problem with religion in general. Being bisexual means that sexual attraction is not an either/or phenomenon; rather, it is a continuum with one end of the scale being strict heterosexuality and the other end being strict homosexuality. The reason that religions don't want to acknowledge this continuum is because it puts a hole in their whole reason for being; namely, that everything can be categorized as being good (heterosexuality) or evil (homosexuality).

Date: April 10, 2019 11:18AM

"What I believe the LDS church

Believes less is the concept of bisexuality;"

I believe you are right.

Mormonism tries to simplify the world of humans to fit its preconceived notions which are Old Testament reductions of humanity.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 09:05PM

My TBM friend doesn't believe that people are naturally gay at all. She says, "Heavenly Father would never do that to someone."

Date: April 09, 2019 09:14PM

Greyfort Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My TBM friend doesn't believe that people are
> naturally gay at all. She says, "Heavenly Father
> would never do that to someone."

This is an example of what I call the depths of ideology over reason. In essence, "that doesn't fit within my (narrow) philosophical viewpoint. Therefore it doesn't exist."

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 10:39PM

Aloysius Wrote:
> Greyfort Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My TBM friend doesn't believe that people are
> > naturally gay at all. She says, "Heavenly
> Father
> > would never do that to someone."
>
>
> This is an example of what I call the depths of
> ideology over reason. In essence, "that doesn't
> fit within my (narrow) philosophical viewpoint.
> Therefore it doesn't exist."

Yeah. She even said, "You will never convince me that anyone is born gay." That's when she then said, "Heavenly Father would never do that."

Date: April 09, 2019 10:42PM

So sad! I genuinely feel sorry for people who are so ignorant. I mean that, because I used to be one of them!

Date: April 10, 2019 11:17AM

Me too.

I've been bisexual my whole life and I literally tried to pretend the gay part of me didn't exist and was just my "sinful thoughts."

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 09:16PM

If the GAs and the Prophet say that homosexuality isn't real, that same-sex attraction is a curse and that gays are really heterosexual at their core, and the GAs and the Prophet speak for Gawhd, then doesn't that mean that Gawhd is wrong and not perfect, doesn't that mean, that at least the Mormon Gawhd doesn't exist, because he isn't perfect?

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 09:30PM

I was angered by the headline of an article on the front page of this past Sunday's SL Tribune. I can't locate the paper as another resident must have borrowed it so I won't quote it but was something to the effect that Gays Can Live Fulfilling Lives in Celibacy, Apostle Says.

My first thought was, How the hell does he know!? I did skim down to see which 'apostle" made such a ludicrous statement and it happened to be Anderson(Neil?)

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 09:38PM

Mormons feel they have the power to make a problem "disappear", by not acknowledging it in the first place, then by negating it, then by re-defining it. Thus, the person with the problem feels like a "nothing" non-existing in outer darkness. The victim is also prevented from taking any action.

I was treated like this, when I was a TBM, and got divorced. There is no such thing as a divorce from a temple marriage in the Mormon cult. I had a legal civil divorce on the grounds of extreme physical cruelty. My husband beat me, but no one, not even my parents, ever mentioned that, and the thug went on to marry Wife #2 in the temple, then when he beat her, marry temple Wife #3. The divorce was my fault, in the eyes of the church. I was forced to go to the singles ward, as a "single", and given a calling in the "LDS Young Singles." Divorced Mormons don't exist.

When I wanted to re-marry in the temple (take action) the Mormons refused to allow this. After pleading, and trying for months, I finally got a permission form signed by the ex-husband who assaulted me, and was granted a "Temple Clearance" to be married in the temple. Not a divorce, mind you. By the time the "Temple Clearance" was issued, it was too late, and my second husband and I were already married, because he was scheduled to be deployed. Later, when we were having children, the Mormons told us that we could get married in the temple, if I got a "Cancellation of Sealing." I tried for several years to obtain that, then gave up for a while, and when I said I wanted to get a temple divorce, my new church leaders said there was never such a thing as a "Temple Divorce" or a "Cancellation of Sealing", or a "Temple Clearance", and there was no record of my ever receiving a "Temple Clearance" or my ex's signed permission form, anyway.

I was in limbo. Did this make my marriage like an adultery? What about my children? The Mormon leaders told me that I still was sealed to my first husband for eternity, and that my children, born to my second husband, were also sealed for eternity to my first husband, as his possessions! You can imagine my outrage! I was in limbo. Not temple-divorced from a thug who had been stalking me and frightening me, not temple-married to my husband and father of my children.

Oh--Hello! There was a solution to my problem, that the Mormons didn't tell me about. There's a solution to a gay Mormon's problem. Resign! Get the Hell out, and get back into a world in which divorce exists (divorce can protect abused women) and gays exist, and can express themselves, and live normal, happy lives!

When I discovered those Mormon creeps had no more "authority from God" than I did, I printed up my own "Temple Divorce" document, and also a document that read, "Official Legal Resignation From The Mormon Church".

You see, Mormons don't "Resign". They are only "taken off the rolls."

Date: April 09, 2019 10:28PM

Excellent!

Date: April 10, 2019 11:20AM

Awful. But alas you are right. There is no resignation.

My grandfather Rulon Jeffs was re-baptized, re-endowed, re-sealed to my grandmother who divorced him for becoming a polygamist.

Posted by: forgot ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 12:15AM

If there's no resignation, why are LDS leaders losing their lunch over it?

Date: April 11, 2019 11:02AM

forgot Wrote:
> If there's no resignation, why are LDS leaders
> losing their lunch over it?

LDS Corp doesn't lose anything but their authority over people. All records of everything they have accumulated are "sacred." They harvest information like they do their for profit agribusinesses do.

They often don't get the information or facts right but they righteously record keep.

Statistically, I surmise they are "losing their lunch" over how many people no longer want to be connected to their authority. Most Jack Mormons (and I think Robert Kirby is one of them) don't submit themselves much to this authority but don't resign. Mormon leaders prefer Jack Mormon and inactive Mormons to willful separation which is all a resignation is in my opinion. They aren't going to delete your records. They are not even going to flag them much. The local bishop will have to deal with the fallout until temporal authority gets involved - read lawyers.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 10, 2019 12:14AM

is the authority of the "leaders" of the church to make any authoritative pronouncements on the matter.

They're just a bunch of blow-hards pretending that their opinions matter more than anyone else's opinions because they claim to have received some special "authority" from Jesus. But the only evidence they can give for their fake authority is their own claim that they have it.

Jesus never appeared on national TV and confirmed to the world that he gave these bozos a signed power of attorney or any authority whatsoever.

They can't show to the world any signed and notarized document from Jesus appointing these clowns as his agents on earth.

They can't show to the world any recording of Jesus confirming that he authorized these comedians to be his special representatives and spokesmen.

The best they can do is tell a story about a convicted con artist, financial fraudster and adulterer who claimed that some ghosts appeared to him one time and gave him the authority to be Jesus's representative and that this was passed on from this felonious fibber through another guy named Brigham Young who worshiped Adam (apparently a mistake due to his not knowing God from Adam)...and now they have received the same authority from other guys who were successors to Brigham. Based on this impeccable provenance for their "authority" claims, they now demand that people join with them in pretending that they have something special to say.

That they think that we should take their authority claims seriously...well...that's just hilarious to me.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 10, 2019 12:34AM

They claim Priesthood authority. Joe may have lied about everything else, but the Priesthood stuff must be true so due diligence is not necessary. Their discernment worked real well in 2015.

But in Mormonism, facts don’t matter. Only the opinions of the GAs, no matter how stupid, matter.

I’d tell TBMs Jesus was probably gay because he was always hanging out with those 12 guys.

Date: April 10, 2019 12:46AM

That "priesthood authority" being based on Fibbin' Joe's claim that the ghosts (or were they already resurrected?) of Pete, Jim and Jack (more formally known as Peter, James and John) met Joe in the woods, put their hands on his head and "gave him the priesthood". This "priesthood" then had to be passed on from one "holder" to the next.

Apparently it didn't matter that one of those holders in the chain was a guy who mistakenly worshiped a guy who actually wasn't god and failed to worship the guy who is god. Yet this guy who didn't even know that he was worshiping the wrong entity as his god, was in charge for an entire generation and made most of the important callings to most of the important offices and supposedly gave them the "keys" that only he could give (supposedly).

So, to sum up, we have to rely on the words of men of dubious repute all the way down the line as to whether any real priesthood authority was ever given by anyone who could really give it. Ultimately, it all traces back to Jive-talkin' Joe's fantastic story about meeting the ghosts (or resurrected bodies) of Pete, Jim and Jack in the woods. Color me "not confident".

Date: April 10, 2019 11:21AM

I've never understood why Jesus Hisself didn't do it and required 3 people - Pete, Jim and Jack?

Date: April 11, 2019 12:03AM

Jesus is missing in action way more than would seem appropriate.

Like, did he have something more important to be doing when the "restoration of HIS one and only true church" was being implemented? Being that he's an omnipotent god, it doesn't seem like he would be completely incapable of multi-tasking.

Plus when you're completely overhauling, restructuring and restoring an organization that has fallen into corruption, disrepute and confusion, you don't want to be delegating the very most important tasks to underlings in circumstances where people can easily question whether those underlings really were authorized. You want things to be as clear as possible. All authority is supposed to come from Jesus. He is the principal. Everyone else is simply an agent appointed for a limited dispensation.

It doesn't make any sense. Jesus has a physical body. So there should be no problem at all for him making himself physically present here on earth. Why do such important work through a horny, treasure-hunt scam artist?

I'm starting to have doubts about my testimony. I fear my testimony is in trouble. ;o)

Date: April 11, 2019 11:05AM

Jesus has a penis. Why not use your "body" to reinstate your penishood? He went to all the trouble to "organize" an original church and "organize" the earth before that.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 10, 2019 12:20AM

Bohemian Rhapsody, it is as though my emotional story was played out in his relationship with his girlfriend. They will never be able to be complete as a gay/straight couple, but they could care deeply for each other. My daughter came away from it deeply moved and said, "People just don't understand how complex being gay is."

Hey LDS LEADERS, it ain't about the sex!!!!! It is the whole package. The whole person. The psychological, emotional, intellectual, sexual person. Of anyone, I know the difference between being with a gay man and a straight man. Even for ME, there is DEFINITELY A DIFFERENCE.

This is all I needed in my life was to figure it out. I can have a great relationship with my "ex," but it doesn't have to be a romance. Both of us were in the wrong relationship, not just him.

It infuriates me that the church still teaches these things. I hate SSA and I hate TOLERANCE. I don't just tolerate my ex. I care deeply for him as a HUMAN BEING, for the very unique and insane person he is.

And I LOVE my boyfriend in a whole different way. It is even obvious to my boyfriend and my ex's gay friends and ex-boyfriends the relationship we have is not about being a couple, but as people who care deeply about the other person.

BUT quit damaging so many people by your ignorance. YOUR CHOICE to be IGNORANT.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 01:44PM

My daughter told me that I must go see that movie. She said it really made her think about the relationship between her parents and how complicated it must have been. I wonder how much it will trigger me. cl2, how difficult was it for you to watch it?

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 10, 2019 12:26AM

I had to get a newer computer for my new transcription job (yes, I will be working very little at Sam's), and I have 82 days until SS. But my old, old computer and this computer, I have no password for. The one assigned to me by RfM.

Anyway, I forgot to say what? Let me think for a moment!!! Oh yes, my dad was definitely a bigot. I shouldn't say it was his generation, but it was. He was a good man, but he had his faults, but my father TOLD ME once I knew that he knew that my husband was gay--he said, "HE WAS BORN GAY." My dad. The person they told me not to talk to. My bigoted dad. Not so mormon dad.

Date: April 11, 2019 11:13AM

I met an Exmormon a couple of weeks ago. He wanted to hang out so I hung out with him for a bit last night. He is almost twenty years older than me and we compared experiences. He joined the church at 18 and struggling with his homosexuality turned to the church. Eventually, while at BYU he met with Spencer Kimball to discuss his problem. He told me that as he was leaving SWK's office Kimball called him back and told him to never admit to himself or others that he was a homosexual.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 11:29AM

Gee, I better tell all my gay and leslbian friends that they

don't really exist, they are just a figment of my imagination.

I guess this means I'll have to cancel my daughters birthday

party too since she doesn't exist. It woulda been good too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.