Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 07:12AM

are submitted to be processed for temple ordinances?

It just seems like they really wouldn't have much in the way of any reliable system for distinguishing between bad data and good data.

If someone were to submit a name like "Samuel Persimmon Snotlicker", I imagine it could raise some eyebrows. But there were some weird names in the past, so who could say it was bogus.

I wonder how many really bogus names are in the system.

And of course it's obvious that genuine old records can be full of errors. Some names can also be stolen identities. If a person born as Theodore Titmouse were to get in trouble with the law and subsequently steal the identity of a person he knew who had died in a war or on a remote hunt, and then married using that stolen identity...and then some Mormon 300 years later found the marriage record and submitted the stolen name for processing...would any of the proxy ordinances count? Would the proxy ordinance go with the guy who the name was stolen from or with the guy who stole the name and lived out the rest of his life using it? Or would you get a "two-fer" out of the situation?

The whole thing seems like such an unwieldy, illogical, complicated mess. It's hard to see how anyone can take it seriously.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 07:16AM

Right, wrong, any name at all.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 08:39AM

If Gawd cared about the Chinese, all the temples could be buzzing along with their records.

I think Mormon Gawd cares more about Samuel Persimmon Snotlicker.

He sounds white and delightsome.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 09:19AM

Without the Mormons keeping track of everyone for God, and doing ordinances for everyone for God--The Almighty would surely lose track, and relegate souls to all the wrong levels of glory. Which good deed goes to which person, and is a spouse sealed to her in-laws, or her own parents. It's a good thing The Mormons are straightening everything out. Yes, each name needs their ordinances done for them at least 8 times, just to be sure.
I was thoughtfully named after my grandmother and mother, but then my GA relative blessed me with the wrong name. He did the blessing over again, and, again came up with the wrong name. He had already blessed about 150 of us babies, and none of us were particularly special. So, my parents had my name changed to what the GA said, and I go by my middle name, which complicates things for me, but who cares.

Oh, Duh, God would use my New Name, Martha, of course. Now, which Martha am I, of all the other Marthas?

To answer your question, Mormons would probably go with the name, instead of a person. Mormonism is not a religion for individuals, only numbers. Like at BYU. In those days (maybe they still do this) we used our student number, instead of our name, which made us feel really unique and worthy of consideration.

The more you know, the worse the Mormon heaven seems to be.

Imagine the temple people using those African names with the clicking sounds, all knocking and clicking at the veil--LOL.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 09:30AM

Lot's of university's require you to use some kind of number, not just BYU. I was at a public University and I still can recite my student number. I can also tell you that 108,005 people enrolled between my brother and me, since that is the difference in our numbers.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 09:30AM

I think that I've shared this before. I did an endowment session in Provo for Jose b. 1500s (Spain). I was at the MTC at the time.

I kid you not. That's all the information that was written on the slip

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 10:06AM

Huh!! So they had rappers in Spain back then!!!

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 09:48AM

Vet the names of the dead folks? Heck, seems like the live people don't even get vetted for their callings. Most of the callings I saw were made out of desperation, not inspiration.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 10:20AM

Yay! I get to tell my story again!!

See, I was a BYU RM, newly married, and at the start of Fall semester, 1968, we moved out to Lakeview, right on Lakeview Road, about 200 yards down the road and across the street from the Lakeview Ward house, and we began dutifully attending. We were the only student couple in the ward, on top of me being the only Mexican-American in the ward. What a curiosity I must have been!

Before Thanksgiving rolled around, I was called to be the EQP, all 160 scrawny Brown pounds of me. EQP of a civilian ward, with people who earned livings and had families, etc.!!

Now I didn't believe any ghawd was leading the church, so I knew that he hadn't called me, which left me to wonder if adult human beings could be fooled into thinking I was special? Naturally, it suited my ego to believe so, and I began harboring the fantasy of being bumped up to Bishop, then SP then...etc. etc. until now in 2019, I'd have been on the counsel of the 12 for a number of years! Wheee!

But by Super Bowl 3, (1969) when Namath stuffed the Colts, I had learned the truth. I was only called to be EQP because each of the other possible candidates had a power block behind him that hated the other possible candidates. By picking me, the bishop united the entire ward behind the 'let's all grumble at the Mexican' selection! Genius!

Except for the MIA kids in that ward, who were great!

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 10:03AM

I got a bit confused when doing genealogy (after I left) I found certain relations in the 1800's on the Morg microfiche cards - dunked, confirmed and endowed & sealed, several times each, different dates.

A good thing it's all a fairy tale and not to be taken seriously.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 10:03AM

You're talking about the cult that did necrobaptisms for Central and South American statues.

Mormonism is so silly.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 10:29AM

“It's hard to see how anyone can take it seriously.”

You could say the same of a 5-year old’s tea party. But they do. At least the tea party is less complicated.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 10:41AM

I'd rather attend the tea party, there might be tea

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 10:36AM

Why yes. They do vet carefully. Just like the banks when making sure each check is not fraudulent. You can trust them both.

Reminds me of a segment on I think it was 60 minutes years ago and they did a demonstration on how easy it was to get any check cashed or deposited. They started out slyly and by the end were signing checks Minnie Mouse in big frilly letters or writing Do Not Cash where the signature was and all sorts of crazy things. All checks on that program still went through.

The difference between the banks and the Mormons is that the banks sort of care a little. The Mormons are so desperate to keep their devotees busy with temple work that I wouldn't doubt that both Minnie and Mickey along with Pluto and Donald have had their temple work done all under the last name Disney.

I'm betting Daisy's new name is Esther.

Posted by: Colombia ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 10:45AM

If interested. Listen to Mormon stories podcast episodes 1075-8 with Don Anderson. Great interview and tells about the name extraction and temple ready programs.
He is straight forward and doesn’t hide anything.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 12:18AM

That's a very interesting/informative set of interviews.

https://youtu.be/z_2MTsHxJi8

Posted by: logged out again ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 12:07PM

About 15 years ago, when I started doing family history research, FamilySearch had not been created yet. At that time, the church was putting its names into the International Genealogical Index (IGI), a DOS-based system. In a way, that system was better because you could see *all* the temple ordinances performed for any particular person. It was the reason you could see that Hitler had been baptized X number of times in temples A, B, and C. Nothing was hidden, like it is now. (As an aside, I remember looking at a couple of Mayflower Pilgrims. They had had their work done close to 100 times. Serious.)

Anyway, back on track: One day I was scrolling through and saw someone indexed under the name "Fucker." Most likely the name was "Tucker" and it had either been transcribed wrong originally, or indexed wrong later. Still, it was pretty funny imagining some teen being baptized by proxy, and some old person going through the endowment ritual, for a dead "Fucker."

(Note: The spam filter for this post was "FVCXK." Coincidence, or heavenly confirmation?)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 01:20AM

My guess is the "F" vs. "T" was a cursive handwriting issue from old, hand-written census records. We had a similar issue with my great-grandmother, whose "L" last name looked a lot like an "S."

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 12:13PM

My favorite story is from a post I read here. I want to believe it is true, but it's too funny to hope it is real.

Anne Rice's series of the Mayfair Witches includes the genealogy of all the witch generations and their birthdates. Someone here said they submitted the whole Mayfair line. Hilarious!

(Does anyone remember the poster?)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 03:10PM

John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt

His name is my name too!

I wonder if his work has been done yet?

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 05:07PM

At least 25 times!

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 05:08PM

Names get recycled!

now if that's not environmentally friendly I don't know what is!?

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 10:46PM

Paul Bunyan

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 05:43PM

No vetting. They accept any name at all, even if it matches a name for which all the "work" has been done. They will baptise and re-baptise the same person over, and over, and over. Also, like I say, any name at all, like Ted B*ndy and Adolf Hitler. Remember that they even felt it necessary to baptise Jesus and John the Baptist, as if they needed it because they lived before Mormonism.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 08:11AM

he told me that his great grandfather was mormon and told me his name. After I chose not to marry him and he moved away, I went to the genealogy library in SLC with my mother and looked up his great grandfather. I copied what I could find. THEN when we reconnected 27 years later, I gave him that info. He showed it to his parents, who are NOT mormon, and his father had plenty of family history. Guess what? The pictures I had were not of the people it said they were. The genealogy was incorrect, dates, names, etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.