Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: byugrad ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 03:03AM

...We've been lobbing this phrase around a lot.

This morning when I read about the upcoming protest at BYU, I went to the comments section on KSL to count what I used to call the "American knee-jerk reflex". I counted 13 out of 19 comments advising same: If you don't like this school - you can get out, you know? Tonight I went back, and sure enough, it was the top-rated comment with over 256 likes.

I have lost count how many times I heard it myself, directed at me, a friendly suggestion to shape up or ship myself, no matter what kind of legitimate pet peeve I'd bring up in a conversation. Sometimes it was velvet clad. Sugar coated. It never changed the bottom line - the discussion was over. With time and some soul-searching, I realized I was being unfair to the Americans in general - the overwhelming majority of these well-wishers were all LDS. Some were mothers. Housewives. Otherwise respectable ladies. Men, who ever advised me to do this, were all much younger. Young enough to be my kids.

I can't recall a single instance of giving such advice to anyone. Why? Because it hurts. Because we can be nicer to each other.

Peace.

https://elpidiovaldes.wordpress.com/2016/12/30/if-you-dont-like-it-you-can-get-out-a-response/

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2019 04:22AM by byugrad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 07:51AM

But so many of them simply cannot just "get out". They have invested too much of their time and money to be able to transfer to another college. Their parents may force them to go to BYU for financial support. Transferring to another school means destroying all your social networks and memories. There is no guarantee that a different school would even accept you - especially when they find you got in trouble for Honor Code violations. Remember that everywhere except BYU, that means you cheated. Nobody is going to accommodate cheaters at their school.

So no, you can't simply go somewhere else.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 07:59AM

“you can't simply go somewhere else”

I think they know that. Being mean is kinda the point. Meanness somehow comes natural to Mormons. It’s part of their desperation.

Or they just need to get laid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2019 10:36AM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: dinosaurprincess ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 09:13AM

There's always UVU ;D I think that school capitalizes off the kids who couldn't make it into BYU. They're smart. Give us your huddled masses who could not get that ecclesiastical (sp? That is the craziest word I've ever typed on my phone!) endorsement and we'll learn 'em up real good and won't even make them shave their beards!

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 09:49AM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Their parents may force them to go to BYU for
> financial support.

And so BYU can act in loco parentis for their kids who are actually adults.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 10:03AM

BYU grad,

Good post. And, in my two colleges for undergrad and two more different colleges for grad degrees, in California, no one ever suggested that to me and we all complained about college constantly, both times n private and public schools.

So yes, it seems to be an Lds thing not an American thing. From where do you hail? I think the level of politeness is much higher in many other countries.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 10:06AM

Part of a university's mission is to develop critical thinking skills and good citizenship skills, of which participating in peaceful protests can play a part.

By the time "God changed his mind about black people," in 1978,
the civil rights movement already had years and years of peaceful protests to its credit. God evidently didn't change his mind due to whim, but due to the hard work of people who asked repeatedly for justice.

The Mormon church can certainly ignore what its youth have to say, but it may pay a heavy price for that.

Posted by: Henry B. Eyeroll ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 11:10AM

And these are all the Utah types who, if/when they move out of their bubble into "the mission field," are the first to complain that "we don't do it that way in Utah" and expect everyone else to change for them.

There's a reason the "Utah Mormon" label is not a compliment. To be a Utah TBM is to be a hypocrite.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 11:30AM

This seems to be more about the fact that they hold their feet to the fire FOREVER. They have to go through the honor code office AND their bishop and be punished by both for anything they do.

The girl I heard the most from (who seems to have been one of the instigators of the protest) said that they had found a picture of her where she wasn't modestly dressed from a few years back (seems to be previous to being at BYU) and they wouldn't let it go. They also don't like the BYU getting reports from the police department, things that they can hold over their heads.

We all know it is an abusive situation. Like I said in another post, I didn't want to go to BYU as a very devout TBM. NOT ON YOUR LIFE. I think that this subject in and of itself will drive many of the students OUT of the lds church.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 11:40AM

I think all TBM's!!!!! Should go to BYU, Get their B.S. Degree in elementary education, then get married. That way they can tell ALL their friends they got married in high school.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 11:59AM

It's an office full of Nazi Mormons who are out of control.

The students and their families deserve better.

No one sends their kids off to BYU to be abused.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 12:16PM

13 out of 19 were being dishonest TB[long]s? We really got to do a better job in the world of apologists in trying to be honest. Otherwise people might think it is sensible to think that the Church is not true but some stupid timewasting cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.