Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 10:19AM

In follow up to the thread on JWs at the door. The other night there was a timid knock on my door and I opened it to see a man and a very young boy at the door dressed in suits and ties. The man introduced himself and his companion, his son I think, and handed me a leaflet inviting me to a meeting next Friday to "remember the death of Jesus Christ". I thanked him. He wished me a good day. I closed the door and he left. No trauma, no anger, no sense of intrusion on my part but I was left with a feeling of why there was no mention of the resurrection. Perhaps because the meeting was on Good Friday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 10:39AM

Jehovah Witnesses don't celebrate Easter or Christmas. Maybe that's why.

They don't celebrate birthdays either, or Halloween. I've been told It's because they are pagan holidays. No gifts are given to their children, or other fun festivities observed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2019 10:42AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 01:36PM

JW's don't celebrate Halloween because they don't like it when people show up unannounced on their doorstep.

Date: April 14, 2019 06:28PM

Ha!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 08:25PM

good one ! *LOL*

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 11:09AM

<wooosh!>

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 11:44AM

>>No trauma, no anger, no sense of intrusion on my part

Kentish, you are entitled to respond to a caller in any manner you see fit. I personally feel that it is unwise for a woman to open the door to random callers, but that's my opinion, based on incidents in the county where I live, and you may see it differently.

The community that I live in is private. We pay for our own snow removal, garbage pickup, and so on. We do not allow door-to-door soliciting of any kind. The condo unit buildings all have a locked entryway. So a random caller knocking on my door (which is rare,) has already violated community rules. The police would back us up on that one. In the past, Mormon missionaries have lived in my community and have followed the rules. They leave the community to do their proselytizing unless they are calling on a church member.

Date: April 14, 2019 12:05PM

I think the OP'S point has to do with attitude.

No one here is telling people to be willy-nilly about opening their doors (except on Halloween, of course).

The OP seems to be making a point about the "drama."

Date: April 14, 2019 12:13PM

I had one random caller one evening who was clearly up to no good. He said that he was fund-raising, but his story was sketchy -- a grown man stated that "his mom made him do it." Right. Yes, I was upset by that. As I stated before, my community does not allow that. The entryway to my building is locked. I would have been a fool to open the door to him.

Some people have a deep sense of privacy. I am one of them. My community supports my feelings in that matter. We are not interested in strangers who want access to our homes.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 01:57PM

That describes me as well and I see no reason to change.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 05:53PM

Kentish has then same approach as I do. No trauma for me in opening the door a few inches and politely declining their message. If they continue to come, I might feelmdifferently, but I haven't had many JWs or anyone else show up at my door .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2019 05:55PM by bona dea.

Date: April 14, 2019 06:06PM

Yes, but then look at how short your post is!!!

Date: April 14, 2019 06:10PM

Huh???

Date: April 14, 2019 06:18PM

No drama = short posts.

Date: April 14, 2019 10:41PM

Ok

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 12:15PM

I suspect whatever variety of religion someone is, they tend to be more tolerant, if not in approval, of door-to-door intrusions if it is a message they happen to agree with.

IMO, if it is appropriate for type X Christian to proselytize, it's OK for Mormons and JWs too. Just saying. I don't care what variety of Jesus they are peddling, they are not appreciated on my property.

Taking kids to peddle Jesus chat especially bothers me.

Besides, if Jesus died for us, he would actually be dead. A Christian will say, "Jesus lives!" one moment and "Jesus died for you" the next moment. It's like they don't have any concept of what being dead means.

Date: April 14, 2019 12:20PM

Yes, it likely has to do with values. I was raised to think that religion is a private matter. You don't try to spread it door-to-door. In the Mormon faith, it is much more acceptable to proselytize, track down inactives, call people relentlessly on the phone, and call upon members in person. It would drive me crazy! Not everyone is built that way.

Date: April 14, 2019 12:25PM

Would you have tracked down that visitor's mother and taken her a letter demanding that she never let him knock on your door again?

You were within your rights to call the police, right? Did you?

Date: April 14, 2019 12:53PM

Ha! I waited until he walked away from my door. He proceeded to door knock upstairs. I left my unit and proceeded to shout at him loudly (I have a VERY loud voice when needed, I project from my diaphragm, and can summon a child from the length of a football field) to leave the building. He made a quick exit, full of excuses. I was rather legendary among my neighbors for quite a while after that (none of them had any problem with my actions.) lol I should add that a number of residents in my building are single women.

The police only very rarely need to be called to my community, but are very responsive when needed. That certainly would have been an option as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2019 12:56PM by summer.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 09:52PM

I have to comment to Jesus Lives! Jesus died for us!

Well, make up your mind....which is it?

Date: April 14, 2019 12:40PM

Summer, most women I think would feel the same way you do about strangers knocking on our doors. It just doesn't feel safe in this day and age.

There was a book I read back in college (more than 30 years ago already,) titled, "A Woman's Home is Not Her Castle." It was a self-help book designed to educate women on how to be safe in their own homes.

One of the first rules is to keep good locks, security systems, and the obvious: not to answer the door to strangers.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 01:33PM

You always seem to be such a peaceful person, Summer. It was difficult to imagine that. You surprised me with that one. LOL

Date: April 14, 2019 02:43PM

LOL! I am generally peaceful, but I am also an urban teacher and have had to deal with some violent students. That's how I developed my "big voice." But honestly, my ability to cope with violent and disrespectful students is rapidly diminishing with my advancing age. I'm facing a career turn right now and am mulling over my options.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 10:06PM

I live in a community setting and have experienced two frightening experiences.

The first was during the day, around 3-ish and I heard someone cussing and rattling my locked (thank heavens) screen door, even kicking it. I thought the person sounded very drunk, so I gave him a little time to get discouraged and leave. He soon stumbled on.

The second time was worse than the first. It was around midnight on a Saturday evening, and I was just heading to bed after watching a movie. Suddenly, there was a very loud smack on my window near my front door by a woman screaming, "Let me in!" This was followed by more loud demands of the same thing only with much swearing added to the mix while belting the window and the screen door. I quickly dialed the police and was a nervous wreck until they arrived.

The would-be intruders were two, not just one, lost and very, very high partiers who could not find their party and were mad as hell.

Well, I, too, at this point was mad as hell that they put me through this. I was very afraid, I can tell you that.

I have two strong front doors and keep them locked. I always ask through the door who is calling, and if I do not know the person or persons, they don't get in.

It is my home, I pay the bills, and I set the rules.....plain and simple!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2019 10:12PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 02:08PM

Why Don’t Jehovah’s Witnesses Celebrate Easter?

The Witness Response:

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/why-not-celebrate-easter/

“The Easter holiday celebration is not based on the Bible.

“Jesus commanded that we commemorate his death, not his resurrection. We observe this Memorial each year on the anniversary of his death according to the Bible’s lunar calendar.—Luke 22:19, 20.

“We believe that the origins of Easter customs, which come from ancient fertility rites, make Easter unacceptable to God. God requires that we give him “"exclusive devotion",” and he is offended by worship that includes practices that he does not approve of.—Exodus 20:5; 1 Kings 18:21.

“We believe that our decision to abstain from celebrating Easter is based firmly on the Bible, which encourages the use of “"practical wisdom and thinking ability"” rather than simply following human traditions. (Proverbs 3:21; Matthew 15:3) While we share our beliefs about Easter with others when asked, we also respect each person’s right to decide what he will do.—1 Peter 3:15.”

Luke 22:19-20 says: And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.

In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you. (NIV)

JWs point out that there is no specific instruction in the Bible to observe the resurrection but there is regarding the crucifixion, therefore, they avoid Easter Sunday but observe Easter Friday.

AJ:
>Jehovah Witnesses don't celebrate Easter or Christmas. Maybe that's why.

The reason is because they teach that those celebrations have Pagan origins. In their theology, paganism is to be avoided. They don't just extract pieces of the observances that they could live with, to make them their own and celebrate the major holidays as others do, as they consider the origin of a belief or event to be crucial. I guess they conclude that with a pagan origin they can't clean it up. Or something like that.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 02:23PM

If I answer the door I always have the remote for the alarm in my hand. If necessary I’ll push the panic button. Security company calls the cops.

Date: April 14, 2019 06:32PM

That's what they get paid the big bucks to do. It's well worth the service they provide.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 04:35PM

the adult male brought my neighbor boy with him. This neighbor boy and I are friends and he mows my lawn. I thought that was UNACCEPTABLE and that is when I left a note for the bishop about NO MORE MINISTERS on the ward newsletter they left me.

The bishop stopped me at my daughter's wedding luncheon to tell me he would make sure they didn't come to my door any longer.

I was out walking the dogs today when the boys were going around putting the newsletter on doors. I didn't get one. FINALLY!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 05:27PM

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 11:11PM

As fearful as many of you are about intruders, I assume you have a gun ready, and know how to use it. Doesn't matter if the door is locked - they can just break through a window.

Remember, when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

Sometimes I wonder about modern life where we are bombarded with bad news. We see a dateline show on murder by a JW or Mormon and assume it is common. Then we are horrified anytime we see missionaries. Really? They are the biggest threat around?

The news provides no perspective or statistics on relative risk. Plane crashes get much attention, but are planes are the safest way to travel.

I'm surprised any of us drive cars considering the crashes on TV.

Of course, many make money off our fears - government selling programs or wars (you can't survive without gov't healthcare, education, food, housing or muslims going to get you!), safety products, religion scaring you about hell or separation from family, beauty or fashion playing on fear of rejection or embarrassment, and on and on.

So despite living in relatively wonderful times, anxiety rates keep going up. Don't you ever get tired of being manipulated?

The morg isn't the only scam.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.