Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: justkeepswimming ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 12:07PM

I've heard really good things about it. Knowing a lot of us tend to lean the opposite direction of whatever the mormon status quo is, thought I'd get RfM perspectives on the movie if you've seen it.

If you haven't seen it, I guess it doesn't make sense for you to have an opinion about it, but open to hearing it anyway.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 15, 2019 12:07PM

And that should be "movie."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 12:33PM

Even planned moving sucks.

Posted by: Anon4esto ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 03:47PM

Saw it. Hated it.

Been thinking about it day and night. It's got me all f'd up. I was always pro-choice even when tbm. Now I'm not so sure. I still don't think abortion should be illegal but I now think people should for the most part not get one.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 04:02PM

Most people would not have to face that issue if religion (which drives much of the public opinion) would quit doing things to prevent free public sex ed, free birth control and secular counseling for prevention of pregnancy after unprotected sex.

The abortion need is exasperated because the people against it are also hell bent on making sure women have few options to prevent it.

It's a horrible situation and I feel for any woman who has to decide.

If only people were as concerned about how kids that are already here are treated as they are fetuses.

Posted by: sad ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 07:52PM

i am 70 years old and never have i heard of any case where abortion is necessary to save the mother's life. medicine is pretty good and i had a life threatening delivery myself but i had a good doctor.

really, whether anyone wants to believe it or not, abortions are rarely medically necessary. today it's just another form of birth control in a lot of cases.

abby johnson who is the person that is responsible for the movie "unplanned" can be seen on you tube. when she said she was asked to help assist and she saw exactly what happened to the baby, she said she was ready to quit but thought about the money and lifestyle she was used to from being in her position at planned parenthood. she even asked where else could she make that kind of money. somehow she was able to find a way to make a lot of money without planned parenthood. good for her. and just what does that really say about her? whatever.

the babies that don't die from the needle in the head actually move and can feel something coming after them. how horrible.

i do know a woman that had a lot of kids and didn't want another and couldn't afford another and she feels guilty to this day about killing her baby many years ago. now abby johnson wants to help women feel better about the babies they killed.

https://www.abortionfacts.com/facts/8

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 11:09PM

sad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> baby many years ago. now abby johnson wants to
> help women feel better about the babies they
> killed.

These are not her words.

If you think Abby wants to feel better about her own abortions, maybe so?

But her stated agenda presumes women do not know what they are doing when they seek abortion. Hence the emphasis on body parts, heartbeat, etc.

Problem is, most women terminating their pregnancies are already MOTHERS (59-60%). They well understand the full implications of bringing a pregnancy to term.

Further, in the US, despite similar rates of sexual activity amongst male and female teens, males are MORE likely to have sex before the age of 13.

This ain't immaculate conception, folks.

Date: April 15, 2019 10:32PM

dagny Wrote:

> It's a horrible situation and I feel for any woman
> who has to decide.

It is not necessarily a 'horrible situation'. How can you know for all women? Men?

This kind of perspective that erroneously says they speak for ALL is the problem with Mormon, all cult systems of thought.

Why do you label something as 'horrible' for ALL? Why not say, 'I don't know'?

Date: April 15, 2019 10:58PM

OK. Fair enough.

Maybe it isn't horrible for some people.

I am pro choice but wouldn't find it exactly enjoyable to need to make a decision.

I agree with your exhale comments and agree Unplanned smells like propaganda. Women must have control of their own bodies, IMO.

Date: April 16, 2019 03:31PM

"It is not necessarily a 'horrible situation'."

How is terminating unique life not necessarily a horrible situation?

Isn't it ALWAYS better not to take an innocent life?

It's super easy not to get pregnant. Super. Easy.

Date: April 16, 2019 04:19PM

Right. Super easy for a rape victim or failed birth control. NOT.

Date: April 16, 2019 04:37PM

Dagny, that's not an honest response. You're citing edge cases.

Someone who is raped (actually raped) should immediately report it to the police and the hospital will immediately remedy the situation.

Date: April 16, 2019 05:32PM

I'd say yours was the dishonest response.

One of the biggest drives of biology is the urge to have sex. It's NOT super easy to prevent pregnancy as is obvious from the overpopulation of the planet, especially when there are not adequate resources for everyone to prevent unwanted pregnancy.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 06:29PM

justkeepswimming Wrote:

> Someone who is raped (actually raped) should
> immediately report it to the police and the
> hospital will immediately remedy the situation.

What exactly is the hospital to do to "remedy the situation?" Morning-after pill?

If so, what differentiates that from, by your standards, the extinguishing of an innocent life?

Date: April 17, 2019 07:42PM

Nothing. And the rapist should be tried for both rape and murder.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 07:50PM

That's not really how the law works.

Date: April 17, 2019 08:05PM

But justkeepslipping, you said "the hospital will immediately remedy the situation."

How exactly is a hospital going to remedy a pregnancy resulting from a rape?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 09:34PM

Most people who are raped do not report it. So there's no hospital involved. People who do not report often have very compelling reasons not to report. Many people who are raped are not treated sympathetically.

Date: April 17, 2019 09:37PM

I'm just trying to figure out if JKS really wants hospitals to abort the fetuses conceived by rape. Because that would belie his declaration that all innocent life is sacrosanct.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 04:19AM

justkeepswimming Wrote:
> "It is not necessarily a 'horrible situation'."
>
> How is terminating unique life not necessarily a
> horrible situation?
>
> Isn't it ALWAYS better not to take an innocent
> life?
>
> It's super easy not to get pregnant. Super. Easy.

Don't like abortion? Don't have one. Super easy. It's not for you or anyone else to force anyone to give birth.

I'm in the camp who thinks it would be better if we focused more on the people who have already been born and need help... especially the children. Children should be wanted, and they should be raised by people who are prepared to take care of them. And sorry, but sometimes abortions do save lives and/or prevent suffering. The medical situations that would necessitate an abortion are not your business, either, unless you are the person who is considering making that decision.

Dying in utero is not the worst thing that can happen to a person. I've never met anyone who remembers their time in the womb, but I know plenty of people who have been scarred by abuse. In fact, I am one such person. My mom didn't want to have me and often told me so. I've often felt it would have spared us all a lot of grief if she'd had an abortion. I wouldn't have been the wiser.

I think we really need to focus on affordable birth control and effective sex education. People are going to have sex. Sometimes, it will result in an unintended pregnancy. Pregnancy should not be punishment, especially since we can't even offer everyone affordable and accessible healthcare. Mind your own reproductive system.

Date: April 17, 2019 08:41PM

justkeepswimming Wrote:
> "It is not necessarily a 'horrible situation'."
>
> How is terminating unique life not necessarily a
> horrible situation?

Because you do not know what an abortion is like FOR EVERY SINGLE PERSON.

You ASSUME, as most religious types do, that you know what is best FOR ALL.

That's where you need some work.

Btw, I'm a spermicide and cervical cap baby! Yay!

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 10:43PM

dagny Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------
>
> If only people were as concerned about how kids
> that are already here are treated as they are
> fetuses.

Well said, Dagny. Religion and laws force women to have children they don’t want who are then sometimes neglected, sometimes horrifically abused. It’s not rocket science to think they should never have been conceived or born. I am against late term abortion. Pro birth.control and pro adoption.

I already know where I stand and have no interest in a movie about it.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 03:49AM

Dagney, I very much agree with your post, and it is well stated.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 09:01PM

Are there any statistics covering the issue of 'guilt' in men and women who are involved in abortions, in terms of them being religious v. non-deist?

Abortions do happen and the people involved do seem to move on, one way or another, either bearing guilt or being guilt-free, and I'm wondering if there is any correlation between feeling guilty and not feeling guilty, in terms of the 'spirituality' of the participants.

Although I strongly suspect that the people doing or facilitating abortions lean heavily towards the guilt-free, so many this should be restricted to the egg-holder and the sperm donor. Who feels more guilt, the religious or the non-deists?

And yeah, if it's the religious, why do they do it then?

Date: April 15, 2019 10:29PM

As it has been said for eons: The Senator's mistress will always have access to safe abortion.

Abby's posts on FB when she was doing poorly in her PP job and about to be terminated speak volumes.

I've listened to women promoting this film and they cannot even get the medical terminology correct for the abortions they claim they survived, nor the abortions they had.

The conspiracy theories this film's promoters continue to blast us with, including the likes of Ted Cruz LEADING A SENATE HEARING to determine if Twitter silenced the MARKETING AND PROMOTION of this film, is beyond disgusting.

The best way to not support a voluntary medical procedure is not to have one. But that is not good enough for religious folks: they want to make sure no one ever does something that THEY do not agree with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2019 10:30PM by carameldreams.

Date: April 15, 2019 10:48PM

For women reading this thread or triggered by a propaganda film such as Unplanned, please consider Exhale if you need to talk to someone for free. Exhale is Pro-VOICE. More here:

Pro-Voice Counseling includes building a network of support
for each person after-abortion. Recommending resources and
referrals for other services is an important part of how Exhale extends our mission beyond our own services.

After-abortion counseling & emotional support

While there are number of people, agencies and faith-based services that offer post-abortion support, we use the following criteria to assess our recommendations:

does the service respect the full range of human emotions after an abortion?

does the service empower each individual to define wellbeing for themselves after an abortion experience?

does the service address specific needs we’ve heard expressed from our talkline callers and community members?

We have carefully screened and selected these resources. If a service has a one-size-fits-all approach to after-abortion
emotions, or only meets one or two of our criteria, they are not listed here. We list the resources that can best support people across the spectrum of after-abortion emotional needs.

https://exhaleprovoice.org/

Date: April 17, 2019 09:43PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 09:59PM by Lot's Wife.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.