Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 03:14PM

If they do, they'll make sure the world hears about it, and hears about it, and hears about it ...

I guess we won't be seeing any "We're the Mormons" tee-shirts on the clean-up crew at the Notre Dame site.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 03:19PM

I am pretty sure that los mormones would not be adverse to asking congregants to donate to this specific cause, directly to SLC, and then SLC would make a fine, even a lofty production out of the presentation of a check (total contributions, less appropriate handling fees, along with a tithe for Jesus) in the appropriate videotaped event.

After all, mormon governing authorities are not monsters!! Right?

Posted by: Klaus ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 06:30PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 06:46PM

With hundreds of Mormon temples still needing to be built? That would be a foolish waste of the Lord's money. Mormon church authorities will send thoughts and prayers, instead.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 06:51PM

I'm pretty sure when the Cathedral of the Madeleine in SLC had an expensive seismic overhaul 25 or so years ago, the LDS Church kicked in some money. So, it would not be unprecedented.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 06:52PM

It would depend on whether the tax deduction is greater than 100%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2019 06:52PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 06:54PM

They don't need LDS money since hundreds of millions are rolling in. More about city and national pride in an ancient landmark than anything particularly faith based I suspect.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 07:36PM

I agree. That said, the history and art are worth preserving. Also, I think there is some real value is the sense of community. On the balance, community is a good thing.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 07:28PM

Only if the new center spire is topped with an Angel Moroni. If not, no deal. Napoleon’s Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2019 07:36PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 08:11PM

Emmanuel Macron says Notre Dame will be rebuilt within 5 years.

To do that (if even possible), he will need multiples of the currently pledged 700 million euros - leaving plenty of room for the LDS Benevolent Society to kick in a few bucks.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 08:23PM

They could 3D print the spire and hoist it up with a helicopter unlike the poor masons who constructed the original with hand tools.

I said this elsewhere but the sheer size and extent of priceless art and architecture in those old European Cathedrals makeLDS, Inc McTemples that last less than 20 years before "remodeling" look like drive-thru restaurants.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 09:49PM

3D print, funny!

I hope people who want to, donate directly to a rebuilding fund, not to LDS for them to be a middleman. Who knows how much they would keep for a handling fee?

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 11:05PM

"LDS Notre Dame Temple". There's nothing they like better than getting prime real estate at fire sale prices.

I guess it's up to the French government and people to decide whether they can live with a fiberglass spire topped with a golden horn-blowing angel named "Moron with an i" being erected where the old spire once stood.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 02:59AM

It could look like Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.

Yes, I know how ridiculous it is to think the church would invest that much.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 03:08AM

If LD$,Inc. would have had the opportunity to build the Paris temple on Ile de la Cite, they would have taken it no matter the cost.

Date: April 17, 2019 03:45AM

each with a golden Moroni on top, put a big honkin' beehive dome on the roof and replace the rose windows with replicas of the hexagram window of the Salt Lake Assembly Hall. Could confuse everybody....which would be mission accomplished for a typical LSD Church project.

Hagia Sophia has a nice 1000 year plus patina. My guess is that the leaders of the LSD Church wouldn't want any signs of age or dinginess on their Notre Dame temple and would probably have the exterior covered with a shiny white coat of paint. The interior will get typical LSD Church "dura-wear" carpeting.

I think the French are ready for it. Paris Disneyland has been softening them up for years. The time is ripe. President Micron would probably go for it, if the price is right. Maybe Wendy could work on Micron's wife to get her on board, by hosting a special grape juice tasting party in her honor.

I think the Brethren may have a problem with the "Notre Dame" name, however.

Date: April 17, 2019 03:58AM

More landmark building of the COJCOLDS go into other hands in the decades ahead.

This already happened to one of the Church's most precious buildings back in 1977, when the Unification Church (the "Moonies") acquired it from LDS, Inc.

It used to have a Moroni statue on top of the spire and looked more like a temple than a regular LDS chapel.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865632724/New-exhibit-in-Washington-DC-Visitors-Center-shows-growth-of-LDS-Church-in-nations-capital.html

It's now a major focal point for Moonie business.

http://familyfed.org/news-story/42795-42795/

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 04:05AM

But I don't like the idea of donations from elderly or low income church donors being forced to have their donations used for a cause they might or might not support.

I realize that the mormon church doesn't care if donors are respected and the money already goes to questionable causes, but sending it to Rome won't help poor mormons eat better.

I say give the tithes back to those who earn it and let them decide if they want to donate it to others.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 05:18AM

I heartedly agree! Poor people don't need to be paying charity for BYU either, it's varsity sports complexes, or it's administrative salaries, or it's Hinkley center for the allumni. Poor people don't need to fund a city creek mall, high rise apartments for the wealthy, or swanky accommodations for Goldman Sacs professionals.

The middle class shouldn't be obliged to pony up the money either.

Posted by: jc ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 08:39AM

No.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 11:04PM

Slim to NONE chance that ChurchCo itself will reduce their holdings/net worth.period.

Elderolddog scored again, BORING.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 12:28AM

ONly Thoughts and prayers will be sent. You can't help the competition.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 02:28PM

Considering the shit load of money the Mormons will be spending on Temple Square, I doubt it.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 19, 2019 03:05PM

Yes, they will buy a plastic Moroni for the top.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.