Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Java-drinker ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 03:22PM

Had a cup of java right when I came home from school. Could not stand the headache and anxiety. It just had to go away! It was like a depression.

The Caffeine-train is brutal, if you push the brakes it keeps on going the wrong direction.

Anyone else experienced the same problems?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 04:19PM

Some people are sensitive to caffeine. My ex-wife was. She would get headaches and she would drink caffeine to reduce the headache, the caffeine eased the headache, then the headache came back worse when the caffeine wore off, so now its time to stop caffeine because its causing headaches, enter severe headache from caffeine withdrawal.

Suffer through that, then feel better. Feel so good your sure you can drink caffeine, drink caffeine and repeat cycle.

I don't feel that way. I drink 2 - 3 cups of strong coffee every morning, but I don't get edgy or get a headache if I don't have it. Some mornings I realize I've been up for several hours and didn't make coffee.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 04:35PM

I relish my cup(s) o' Joe in the morning....and afternoon...glad it likes me too.

Posted by: The Grand MOI! ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 11:19AM

Been drinking decaf Tasters Choice for a few years. Started drinking regular Nabob and other brands in January every day too and my damn heartburns have flared up again. It's nasty. Gotta have mine sweet and creamy. When I see people on TV pour and drink it black I feel the ol' GERD crap come to life.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 06:54PM

I think it depends on the person. I can go without it when I need to, but I don't like to do that.

As for headaches, I've found caffeine to be a useful supplement to pain reliver for my worst headaches, especially migraines. Generally speaking, I have to be careful not to have caffeine too late in the day, or it might keep me up at night.

I think caffeine can be a lifesaver when you are driving long distances, or otherwise need to stay awake for long periods of time.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 07:00PM

Java-drinker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone else experienced the same problems?

Nope. I can take it or no. I can drink it before bed. I like it in all of its many varieties.

Joe was wrong about the Joe for me.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 07:59PM

I’ve gone off a few times. It’s hard. I seem to remember the last time there was a headache for a day and then profound tiredness.
I recommend doing it on a weekend when you have nothing else going on.
I drink it now bc i only drink 2 cups per day and that much is good for you.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 10:30PM

My friend is a medical doctor, and he has a method that people can use to get off of caffeine, without the severe withdrawals:

It's called the half-half method.
He says it's too hard to quit cold-turkey.
Begin by cutting your caffeine intake in half.
After 4 days, cut it in half again.
After 4 more days, cut it in half again.
Continue, until you are taking no caffeine at all.

I did this. I did have symptoms, but not until I had cut it in half several times. By then, the symptoms were very mild, because I had already cut back a lot.

I would recommend avoiding stress, as much as possible.

This method takes more mental discipline, and more patience. After trying and failing many times, I decided that I would rather deal with the mental symptoms, rather than the physical symptoms. When I quit colt turkey, I had horrible headaches, and--yes--"depression" is a good way of describing the feeling of not wanting to do anything, and not caring. With the half-half method, I was able to work just fine, and didn't have that awful depression or the headaches.

I don't handle caffeine well, and haven't had any for over 10 years. I do miss chocolate, though, as I gave up ALL caffeine. There are some great caffeine-free coffees and teas, and there's no difference in the taste, IMO.

Good luck. Hang in there.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 10:06AM

I did this when I needed to cut way down on Diet Coke, I was drinking almost a 12 pack a day. SO not healthy.

I made it to one can a day which my doctor and I agreed will not kill me and I made it without debilitating headaches. I frequently skip the one can, but that is my limit.

However, my migraine medications does contain caffeine, so I do get it if I have a migraine even if I have not had my can of pop that day.

Date: April 17, 2019 10:12AM

I used to drink two cans of Coke a day. I cut that out over time and now just have a Coke occasionally. I like it better that way, when it's an occasional treat.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 11:02PM

Probably worth pointing out for the newbies that you don't have to drink coffee now that you're an exmo.

I just saw the expense, the hassle (packing it around), the mess (grounds, spilling), time wasted looking for your cup, the potential headaches (my daughter had them), etc.

But I've seen it is a bit of a religion, and most don't appreciate my comments that threaten the faith.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 11:05PM

Oh, and it's an "acquired taste", meaning it tastes like horse piss, but eventually you will like it, because others want you to.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:45AM

OK, I have to ask.
How do you know what horse piss tastes like?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 11:09PM

Freeman enjoys nothing at all. I could be wrong. Maybe he'll enlighten us.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:32AM

And you are clairvoyant.

Date: April 17, 2019 09:53AM

People are free to partake or not partake of coffee, tea, and alcoholic beverages. I just don't like to see those beverages dismissed for frivolous reasons, like calling coffee or tea "unhealthy" as Mormons do. There is ample research to support the health benefits of both coffee and tea.

As for your other comments, the expense is similar to milk, orange juice, or sodas. There is no hassle, and seldom a mess once you get used to handling it (I can't remember the last time I spilled coffee grounds -- maybe a few years ago?) My coffee cup is no more difficult to find that a juice glass. As for headaches, yes, some people have a difficult time with caffeine, and those people soon figure out who they are.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 08:57AM

Interesting timing on this thread. Today is the first morning in years that I have not had coffee. I was scrambling this morning as soon as I woke. I rushed out the door... got to my office... and remembered that I had not had my coffee.

Nothing different so far. I drink about 16 ounces, first thing, every morning. Will be interesting to see how the day proceeds.

HH =)

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 09:01AM

Yup. Headache kicked in early afternoon yesterday. Also became very tired in early evening. Nodded off around 7 pm. Finally just gave up and went to bed.

This morning I had a good morning run and took B12. But I am lethargic and sleepy. Going to get a small cup of coffee at a convenience store.

HH =)

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 11:30AM

I never drank coffee until my mid forties. Was on a diet and read that coffee was a good boost for dieters and that it had many many health benefits. I never start my day without a cup of hot black coffee. Caffeine is now my best friend!

Posted by: Notelling ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 12:08PM

Yes if you have caffeine everyday then stop cold turkey, you will probably get a headache that day and for a few days, it will go away, but like the other poster said, to avoid the headache, or minimize it, cut back go from 2 cups a day to 1 cup a day etc. don't go cold turkey, or mix each cup with decaf so slowly cut back.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 18, 2019 11:42AM

I tried the "cold turkey" approach to caffeine just after boot camp (I was going a little overboard with energy drinks at the time); I do NOT recommend it. The headaches were agony.

I second reducing caffeine intake slowly over time. Also, know your limits. Some people are just more sensitive to caffeine than others. Tea can be a good way to moderate caffeine consumption.

And if you just don't like tea or coffee due to the effects of caffeine, there is nothing wrong with not drinking it. Unless you're a dick about it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.