Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: A/n/o/n/ ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 04:03PM

Looking back,my experience was kind of disturbing tbh. We had “babies” (dolls) that would die and get buried along the trail. The women’s pull was hard to watch among other things (telling stories about real people dying from disease and childbirth. Reading accounts of persecution like Haun’s Mill).

I understand the idea behind connecting to your history and learning to appreciate modern times along the way, but it was always a really strange activity to me. Almost like if I dressed up in period accurate clothing and worked in a cotton field all day.

Man, so many people suffered and died for Mormonism/Brigham Young. It’s sad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 04:22PM

The trek I participated in was well organized, and pretty good overall. They didn't do extreme stuff and people who were sick or injured could get out.

There's a bigger point to the message aimed at those of us descended from the pioneers that I don't like. If we take the gloss off, it goes something like this: "Don't abandon your heritage. Look so many people suffered so much for their faith and you need to get in line and do what you're told."

Of course that's silly in a way. Should the descendants of the Confederacy still keep up the lost cause of slavery? I think not.

Just because my ancestors sacrificed a lot for a lie or misguided ideology doesn't mean that I have to devote my life to it.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 04:31PM

Strange, Pointless, Dangerous, Cultish, Crazy, Stupid, Idiotic, and did I mention dumb.

I was on a trek in the Mid-west in the middle of July. About 30% collapsed due to heat stroke. Extremely lucky no one died. Hope the cult gets sued for this some day.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 17, 2019 04:37PM

Handled correctly without the extreme stress and with proper supervision and medical precautions it could be a good activity. However, it should be optional and kids who have no interest shouldn't be forced to go. Sending a bunch of kids out in the desert with inexperience people is never a good idea.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.