Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 22, 2019 08:31PM

I have been watching Mormon Stories on youtube and saw the Young family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WId14Wd8nrQ

Last week they got excommunicated.

https://www.facebook.com/mormonstories/videos/the-excommunication-of-leah-and-cody-young/664633787307712/

This brings up so many emotions in me. Calling truth "apostasy"? It is plain shocking finding out real Mormon history if you grew up in the church with the white washed history. I see no benefits for excommunicating members. He is a physician and has probably paid a lot of tithing money in his lifetime. She has a business and has probably paid a lot too. Why? Members are leaving in droves already why excommunicate those who want to stay? The church can no longer hide the information it is easy to find online. Is it damage control? Are they hoping that will scare others away from voicing their doubts? Sam Young although he got excommunicated still speaks out for protect lds children no 1 on 1 interviews behind closed doors. It seams so cruel to have a "court of love" for someone who has already discovered that all is false. Give them one last shunning?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 22, 2019 09:21PM

15 men in 1 room.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 22, 2019 09:45PM

Do they get a refund?

Posted by: jc ( )
Date: April 22, 2019 09:58PM

I really think that one huge reason for excommunicating members in this situation is to diminish conversations with the ex-member. TBMs for some reason think excommunicated members are damaged material influenced by Satan and further association/conversations is strongly discouraged.

TBMs are taught that the most precious thing in their lives is "THEIR TESTIMONY." Hence, anything that might damage it could lead to eternal damnation of sorts.

Last year at BYU commencement Whitney Clayton, the senior member of the Presidency of the Seventy, said that you should "disconnect" from anyone trying to harm your testimony.

Like Boyd K. Packer once said, such persons are "disease germs."

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 22, 2019 11:14PM

“The truth is an offense, but not a sin.” — Bob Marley

Date: April 23, 2019 12:39PM

+1

Posted by: felix ( )
Date: April 22, 2019 11:40PM

Really appreciate John Dehlin for the good work he does. The Young family interviews were some of the most encouraging and impactful of all his work. The Young family were heroic for putting truth above the comfort and safety of conformity. I think that the truth will always serve humanity best but will often come at some cost to those who uphold it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWjfoUFkwAw

Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 08:42AM

It is nice when the entire family leaves together. Wives seem to have more influence in this regard than husbands.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 09:16AM

"If you have a paddle, it'd be a shame not to use it!"
--overheard walking by temple square

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 09:43AM

Maybe the answer is to have a licensed child psychologist in the room when they interview. With all the billions they're going to be spending on temple square over the next 4 years I'm sure they can afford it!

At any rate they should be at least consulting with the medical profession in regards to adolescent development.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 01:14PM

My take:

I think the post GBH church caused the rise of part time members. These are cafeteria style members that were encouraged to stay and participate even if they have blogs that publicly denounce certain actions or policies of the church. A popular couple that started to tour the Mormon speaking circuit were the Givens. I think their message was to live the gospel YOUR way. All of a sudden, they seem to have vanished and I suspect that the church grew weary of their pick and choose methodology. With Rusty, the church has doubled down on its fullness of the gospel routine.

I think the church sees popular bloggers with a large social media following as a major threat to their credibility as effective leadership.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2019 01:15PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 02:14PM

Good observation with the Givens. The gospel they described was nowhere to be found or accepted.

Maybe he is nose deep in another research book with his yapper shut.

Date: April 26, 2019 10:06AM

This family was targeted for creating a support group for members having a faith crisis in their area. The Youngs refused to disband their online support group. As others have mentioned the meeting with Mormon stories church reformer made them an easy target.

What really blew my mind was that they didn't seem to have ANY neutral or negative experiences growing up in the church. The young man mentioned that he ONLY attended morning seminary off and on. My local priesthood leaders had a MAJOR shit-storm over my non-compliance and I grew up in the golden state as well. I guess that they truly benefited from the prosperity gospel. I did not and only saw my participation as a major impediment in the goals that I was trying to achieve. An example was trying to properly prepare for college course exams while being promised and pressured to prepare a church institute's book report on the mighty dream of Lehi. I believed that I performed well in school because I did my part and not some miracle blessing.

I am also amazed that they state that they have no ill feelings toward the church or its leaders. Wow!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2019 10:07AM by messygoop.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 02:17PM

If you have a problem with the church you just leave. They are not going to fix your issues or historical problems.

It is a business that gives a damn about what you think though they say you can have whatever opinion you want...just keep it to yourself and tow the line in public.

Otherwise...out out out with you.

Don't go to a council. Why given them any power over you.

The church is a business charging high membership fees. But you don't have to pay them.

social media is a disease in the church's eyes and they cut the cancers out.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 10:03PM

Phazer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you have a problem with the church you just
> leave. They are not going to fix your issues or
> historical problems.

But who can x-Mormons or trans-Mormons blame if they 'just leave'?

What fun is running one's life in full responsibility?

Better to stay an infant.

And go on a Dehlin retreat or cruise! Let Dr. John tell you how to have a 'healthy marriage' and 'healthy children' and 'navigate a faith crisis'.

Cuz, you know, one cannot be expected to deal with life on their own! We must have someone telling us what to do and what to think and how to raise our kids and how to treat our spouse and how to feel about our faith and...

Their kingdom of heaven will forever be outside themselves.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 09:41AM

The kingdom of heaven inside yourself and learning from other people are not mutually exclusive.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 10:14AM

practicing what you preach much?

Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 07:21PM

I was impressed with how quickly Leah figured it out. Honest and smart. Two qualities that don’t make for good Mormons.

Date: April 23, 2019 08:18PM

For those who want to hear it.

https://www.facebook.com/mormonstories/videos/the-excommunication-of-leah-and-cody-young/664633787307712/

The lds leaders did not like that the Young family talked to John Dehlin.

Date: April 23, 2019 09:21PM

There is no sadness or tragedy or issue whatsoever with excommunication when one has made oneself a huge target.

It is the apex of arrogance to pathetically whine about the church (typically on YouTube for $$$) instead of acting adult and LEAVE THE THING YOU CRITICIZE as the church will not change!

Nor should the church be moved by one man, one family, one group or anything at all.

Young family, Dehlin, Sam Young, whoever, whatever: grow a pair and if you are going to speak out against anything, LEAVE. And if you choose to be DEPENDENT on the church, and wait for them to reject you, that is your FAULT.

So many Mormons are so dumb they cannot exit the church in a dignified, adult manner! Still bellyaching and blaming and whining instead of getting a life! We likely have upteen YouTubes of them bemoaning their excomm status which they brought on themselves! Spare us.

Posted by: Big Al ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 09:42PM

I can see you have never been entrenched in a lying manipulative cult like Mormonism and seen through the lies. Your whole life was Mormonism and it is ripped apart when the truth about the fraud becomes obvious.

Date: April 23, 2019 09:48PM

Big Al Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Your whole life was Mormonism
> and it is ripped apart when the truth about the
> fraud becomes obvious.

Actually, no.

A life is not 'ripped apart' when truth is realized.

Life begins. Anew.

We have control over our perspective.

It is the worst thing ever when truth is obvious?

Never!

It is when we get a second chance to LIVE.

Give thanks, rejoice that you have awakened to truth.

And, Big Al, you can return any time you like, as all of us can, to Mormon or whatever you prefer.

If you don't like your life outside Mormon, if you experience it 'ripped apart', then you are free to return to the church. Or not.

This life does not reward blame. This life does not favor victims.

It was always your choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2019 09:55PM by carameldreams.

Posted by: Big Al ( )
Date: April 23, 2019 10:11PM

I resigned with no fanfare. My wife and married children and my grandchildren are all still active believing Mormons who won’t wake up. I have no desire to go back, but it is a constant rift in my family.

Posted by: KidTwist ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 02:14PM

The Young Family must enjoy being spanked by the Mormon cult. The church is a for profit corporation peddling Jesus and salvation to get your money. Power, control and money is their goal. Achieved through FEAR! The Young's are perfectly duped prey who seem to perversely enjoy being abused by the cult.

Date: April 30, 2019 09:32AM

I like to be truthful so I found the build up of this story to be not forthcoming; perhaps a bit disingenuous. I have since listened to the more of these podcasts; in particular the recorded meetings with their stake president. The reason of the church choosing to excommunicate them moves well beyond asking questions.

In #1099, Within the first five minutes, Cody tells the SP that he no longer believes or sustains Nelson as a prophet. He goes on to say that the whole church is false.

In #1100, both of them deny that they even believe in God and Jesus. They continue to say that they don't believe in the church leadership.

I am the first one to be critical of the church and its leaders, but you can't expect the church to change when you clearly know the rules of the Mormon game. It's clear that the church is pursuing potential reformers that are trying to change the church and UNDERMINE its authority.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2019 09:45AM by messygoop.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.