Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Angry ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 01:09PM

I'm still fighting with Cult HQ to get my records deleted from the servers. I've been on the phone all morning and they have hung up on me a couple of times. I'd like to do this without a lawyer, but they are not playing fair. Why can't they just do what I ask?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 01:24PM

I hate to say this, but you aren't likely to have much luck having them delete their records.

You can resign your membership, and they have to update those records accordingly, that they have to do. This is a legal requirement.

However, deleting their records of you is unlikely to happen. They own those records, they are not yours and, like it or not, within certain guidelines, they can do what they want with them.

It's like a gym membership, when you quit a gym, they don't delete your records, they keep them for an extended period of time, often so they can mail you stuff later to try to get you to come back.

The church will likely claim that they need to keep their records of your membership in case you change your mind so that they will have all the proper paperwork for your return.

It sucks, but right now (and who knows if that will change in the future) it's legal. Resigning is the best we've got right now.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 01:32PM

Do you mean off their active membership rosters or off their hidden computer lists that none of us could ever possibly see?

Have you sent them an email that you resign and request that no further contact is made?

Date: April 26, 2019 01:54PM

I am talking about the files on worldwide servers and in Granite Mountain, everything basically. Including the hidden ones. I don't want my name used for some death baptism ritual. I have resigned with no problem. I have a call in to the Admin building, just waiting to hear back from them. I'm really getting annoyed that they are fighting me on this. I have called a few lawyers.

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 02:06PM

I agree with Finally Free.

Unless you live in England where they recently passed a law that if someone wants there personal information scrubbed from non government/health care ect.. databases It must be scrubbed as if you never existed in that database at all. Think Facebook, Instagram,ect..

The church will just move your name from one file to another.

Even if you are successful having it removed that does not mean at some point after you have passed some relative will possibly put you name on a list to be dead dunked.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 02:11PM

And those darn youth "find-a-grave" projects will ultimately feed your graveside info back to the dead dunkers at the temple.

I want them to get my info right so I'm going to be sure that I add an extra s to my name on my tombstone: Messsy

Posted by: honklermaga ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 02:25PM

Why should they have to?

At a minimum they'll need a record showing you were once a member.

And how would you expect them to prove they deleted records? They'd have to give you unfettered access to all of their data, then you'd have to pore through everything to satisfy yourself.

Ain't nobody got time for that!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 03:38PM

They have no legal obligation in the US to delete your records, which means they are not going to do it, no matter how many lawyers you know.

They have a legal obligation to accept and act on your resignation. They have done that. At this point you are just pissing into the wind. If that's your idea of a good time, have at it, but like the aphorism about trying to teach a pig to sing--it's not going to work, and it annoys the pig.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 03:52PM

I agree with BoJ. From what I understand, under European privacy laws you would have the right to have your information completely scrubbed. But there is no comparable law in the U.S.

If it's any comfort, church members dead-dunked my nevermo great-grandmother three times. They really don't care about your feelings on the matter. What they want is paramount. They can't keep their hands off of people who want nothing to do with Mormonism.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 03:57PM

Some people only feel alive if they have a fight to fight. I was married to a TBM like that.

I agree, piss into the wind, but don't complain about getting wet.

Date: April 26, 2019 04:08PM

Ok.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 09:35AM

The mormon church actually should honor his request. They don't have to legally, so they won't.

Too bad we don't have laws similar to England's.

Posted by: not gonna log in ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 04:05PM

If it were possible to scrub all records of us from their files, rest assured that many of us would have already done so. But we haven't, because we can't.

You can't force them to delete all traces of you in their records, no matter how much you want to.

And just IMO, that European law might be circumvented merely by transferring all those records to HQ in SLC. I doubt European laws have any standing in the US. (I could be wrong about that, of course, but barring Euro inspectors going into the COB to inspect the records, how can it be enforced anyway?)

Date: April 26, 2019 04:11PM

As much as I wish it also, Cult will never let inspectors into COB for fear of finding other secrets. Perhaps we can get some legislation on the issue soon.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 26, 2019 05:32PM

I’m not sure I would care. It is just like google scanning my emails or amazon knowing everything I’ve bought, it just means they’ll try to sell me something. They can try. I ain’t buying nothing.

Date: April 27, 2019 10:43AM

I started a Change dot org petition. Hopefully in gains some traction.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 09:41AM

We don't get to carve out a one entity exception to the First Amendment. Do you think they should have the right to demand you remove any mention you ever made about them (LDS Inc) from your computers?

Didn't think so.

There are privacy restrictions on acess to information that a person was once a member, but they have legitimate reasons to know a person was once a member and no longer is. To take an extreme example, if they don't want to let a child molestor rejoin, they need a record of that.

Suppose you baptized someone. Your name will be on that baptism record, which clearly implies you were a member. Do they need to remove your name from that record? What about the right of the person who was baptized to have a record of who did it?

Not as simple as you thought, eh?

Date: May 02, 2019 09:53AM

I agree. However, I am an almost non-existent member that has only slightly active (just going because I was forced to). People like us should have that right to records removal.

Date: May 02, 2019 11:22PM

I feel defeated. I have tried every avenue to get my records deleted and the church still won. I am pissed that they hold this much control over a former member. Even a lawyer said there is not much that can be done. Thanks Mormon church and parents for screwing up the lives of millions offspring.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 11:56PM

You may be holding onto a perspective that is both unreal and unhealthy.

Google, Bing, Amazon, Facebook, etc., all know a lot more about you than is in the records held by the church. I get that you intensely dislike the church and the effect it has/had on you and loved ones. But just concentrate on what you can do. Don't stress about things beyond your control.

And remember the major axis around which your life now revolves: being free to be whomever you decide to be. Even if it's Ziller... Probably can't have too many Zillers.

Date: May 03, 2019 12:22AM

Thank you for the advice. I really need to work on letting this go.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 12:38AM

I definitely understand how you feel. When I officially resigned, it was basically me telling them that I wanted nothing to do with them. I didn't want my name associated with them in any way.

But as to what they did with my records after that, I had to just let it go. I told them what I wanted to tell them and then I had to walk away.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 01:49AM

Angry? Um, yeah.

Can you imagine how furious the families of Holocaust survivors must feel?

I think they did fight the Mormons, and won for a while--sorry, but I don't remember exactly what happened--but right now the Mormons are dead-dunking all the names they can get their hands on.

There is nothing any of us can do, except remind ourselves it is all absolute bunk! Still...the Mormon arrogance infuriates me! Those @*!!@#! still have me temple-sealed to the thug who almost killed me. Oh, I resigned, and broke the sealing, declaring all temple ordinances null and void for me and my children, but the Mormons are planning on having me re-baptized upon my death. It's their way of thumbing their TBM noses at me. Mormon cult-members are control-freaks. Mormons HAVE TO WIN.

Congratulations on getting out. Since the Mormons have ZERO authority with God or the laws or anything else, just let them go their way, like you would any group of crazy cowards who are threatening you. They blow hot air. They can't legally force to to belong to their cult.

Cult idiots aren't worth your spending good money (yet more good money after bad) on attorneys, and good energy (more effort and attention) just to jump through more of thier hoops.

It took me years to get to the point that I don't give a damn what the Mormons think of me, or believe about my place in heaven, or if they curse me to "outer darkness" or whatever. You can use your energy to keep the Mormons out of your life, and away from your family. That's more important than worrying about whatever mumbo-jumbo they believe about you, and whatever Voo-doo curses they are inflicting upon you.

It's all a hoaX! 99% of the World population knows that Mormons are crazy. YOU have the power--not the Mormons.

Date: May 03, 2019 07:20AM

Whatever we did as mormons is recorded and owned by the mormon church. They just move the records into another file when we resign.

They keep the records and refer to them when names of resignees are dead dunked. They restore the blessings and priesthood levels the person had in life.

They also refer to them in case someone wants to return to the church after resignation or excommunication.

Anyone who has been accused of sexual abuse or other crimes gets different treatment, so they wouldn't want that info deleted.

Doctors and other organizations have the same rights to keep records that they own on any of us.

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 07:53AM

You all have put this situation into perspective. Thank you.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 04, 2019 01:45AM

> Why can't they just do what I ask? >

It is the 'church' of forget who you think you are and think ONLY of us, and how we rule you (usually out), and torment you and forget who you really are, and just talk about how great the cult is and all that jazz, over and over and over again...

Not the LDS 'church' of "Ask and ye shall receive".

That's just the profit.
He's there to test the limits.

TSCC believes it calls the shots.

It can't even shoot straight.

You've got to show 'em who is boss!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 04, 2019 06:21PM

Said someone very wise:

"I'm not going to waste a minute of my life being upset by anyone."

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: May 04, 2019 06:34PM

They will never delete your name from the marketing list.

Date: May 06, 2019 12:46PM

Dear Angry,

Though we'll miss you, we will comply with your request and remove all of your information from our files.

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for you contributions as a member and for your financial support.

Good luck with your future life and please let us know if we can help in any way.

Cordially, TBM Leadership

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2019 12:47PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 10:29PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear Angry,
>
> Though we'll miss you, we will comply with your
> request and remove all of your information from
> our files.
>
> We'd like to take this opportunity to thank you
> for you contributions as a member and for your
> financial support.
>
> Good luck with your future life and please let us
> know if we can help in any way.
>
> Cordially, TBM Leadership

I'm not sure of you are being sarcastic or mean. There was never any money handed over.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 10:38PM

I believe she was being sarcastic. Quotation marks would have helped.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.