Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 09:17AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Angry ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 09:23AM

Nothing. They can't force you to go.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 11:23AM

Do you have some background, Anybody?

If it's a young person, that individual will need to navigate family issues. Options such as college, trade school, work, or the military are all on the table. Families have been known to react in a variety of ways. Some kids have been kicked out for not serving missions.

A senior or senior couple can just give their bishop a big shrug.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 12:11PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 04:45PM

It's quite possible that the young man's church community could turn against him. But there are no formal consequences on the part of the church. He could even potentially go to one of the BYU schools if he wishes. As I stated above, the young man's family could react in any number of ways. There is still a lot less pressure for young women to serve, although it's been amped up slightly.

There are more young people now refusing to serve missions or who are coming home early. So, depending on the ward, there is precedent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2019 04:46PM by summer.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 11:32AM

Live your life!

First. If you have a joint bank account with a parent and you're over 18 then set up a private account.

Second decide what you want to do and go for it!

Posted by: Anon..O ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 11:40AM

Tell your parents that you have prayed sincerely, pondered the BOM, spent many days in fasting and contremplation "and the spirit hath witnessed and confirmed to me that I should not go on a mission, that I have special work to do here in my community and home ward..I feel very impressed not to go, so that I can further my education and be a witness for Christ in academia and my career..this is similar to Steve Young who did not serve a mission, but witnessed for Christ on the grid iron, or the Osmands who witnessed for Christ through music, and a myriad of others who have helped advance the kingdom of God in other ways."

Seriusly, they can't argue with you if this is your own personal revelation right? I would continue living at home, going to school, graduate, and live you life but with their help. It's called strategy.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 12:03PM

I think leaders have been directed to back off. They are most likely told to encourage those that have an interest, but not to push young people that hesitate or express doubts. I think missions have gone from doing a fair job of committing young people into the church to a never-ending nightmare. The church has been unprepared to adequately deal with large numbers of young people returning home early.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 03:37PM

I probably went out drinking that fateful day 50 years ago.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 04:49PM

I keep praying to know that Joseph Smith was a prophet and that the church is true, And all I've gotten was a stupor of thought. I'll keep praying though. As soon as God answers my prayer I will answer the call.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 06:48PM

You can go on your own.

We call ourselves anyway
Whatever it is we want
It is our own voice
That's what we hear

Freedom! That's what it is-

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: April 27, 2019 09:05PM

I think in this day and age there is more drama from coming home early than not going at all. A male that does not go will just be seen as disobedient whereas a male that comes home early will be seen as weak, lazy and unmotivated.

I refused to go and found that dating opportunities were nonexistent and that I did not understand that not going on a mission drew a line in the sand with my future in the church. I did not know it then but it was the beginning of the end of my activity in the church.

My family was supportive and I did not get any flak from them,but I did from non-family. I did join the Navy though, and that did impress my family.It worked out but it was the start of my exudus from the church.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 12:55AM

Aside from diminishing his chances for a good BYU trophy wife, what are the spiritual/eternal ramifications of this decision? Will this keep him out of the CK? Or does he get into the CK, but fall short of the 1st tier there?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 01:02AM

He can still make top tier heaven, if he makes enough money and tithes on the gross income and doesn't get caught being naughty. ...well, if there really were a super VIP mormon heaven.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 02:12AM

Certain mormon girls might care about marrying a returned missionary but others won't.

I think my wife would have still married me if I didn't serve a mission. We had a special chemistry that had nothing to do with the church. Still do. I've seen plenty of TBM temple marriages fail.

Posted by: Him ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 03:03PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

I refused to go, due to personal issues (long story). I don't regret it. I felt I was being bullied at the time and said so. The logistics would have been too complex (I had no close family to look after my things when I was gone for one).

FWIW many GAs have never served one. Point that out to anyone who gives you grief.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 04:07PM

Go on the same mission that tommy boy monson went on.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 04:10PM

I joined the Army.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 04:47PM

Christian Scientists do go in the military, but I have never met, or heard of, another person with a CS background who actually served in combat and experienced hostile fire. All of them found some sort of administrative position, many of them claiming, at least, to have been in "intelligence."

Yeah, right.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 30, 2019 02:08AM

The main reason the church pressures young men to serve missions is they want to retain you and your offspring in the church. Returned missionaries are more likely to marry another church member and stay in the church.

Not serving a mission will not hurt your status in the church a few years down the road. What church leadership looks for are people who have management and leadership skills who are worthy to hold a temple recommend.

As long as you hold a temple recommend and serve some useful function in the church you are good.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.