Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 01:47AM

Or do they just pretend "we never taught that..."

https://forums.catholic.com/t/how-prevalent-is-the-hollow-earth-theory-among-mormons/323317

Our Living Hollow Earth
by Rodney M. Cluff
http://www.ourhollowearth.com

"The scriptures indicate that the Lost Ten Tribes have been hidden by God within the earth’s “womb” from which they will emerge in the Latter Days when the earth will “travail” and “bring forth her strength.” (D&C 84:101) Dr. Clay McConkie, with B.A. in history and a Ph.D. in education, declared in his book, The Ten Lost Tribes, A People of Destiny, that after a thorough analysis of all scriptural references to the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel that the scriptures indicate that the lost tribes …”are presently living in a locality not on the earth, but somewhere in the earth… in …an area capable of accommodating a relatively large civilization of people and keeping them hidden from the world for more than twenty-five centuries.” He points out that scripture indicates that this large area inside the earth must be where most of the water came from that covered the earth’s surface at the time of Noah’s flood, and that the exit point in the Arctic must also be the entrance to inner earth that the Lost Tribes took when they disappeared into the north country 25 centuries ago and from which they will someday soon reappear with great fanfare to help spread the Kingdom of God throughout the earth in preparation for the Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ.

The earth’s “womb” where the Lord has hidden the Lost Tribes is also called in Scripture, “the outmost parts of heaven.” The Lord told Moses, “If any of thine be driven out unto the OUTMOST PARTS OF HEAVEN, from thence will the Lord thy God gather thee, and from thence will he fetch thee: And the Lord thy God will bring thee into the land which thy fathers possessed, and thou shalt possess it; and he will do thee good, and multiply thee above thy fathers.” (Deuteronomy 30:4) The earth’s “womb” and “the outmost parts of Heaven” to where the Lord took the Lost Tribes in scripture is also called the “North Countries” because it can be accessed through the north polar orifice to the earth’s interior. Jeremiah testified that, “In those days the house of Judah shall walk with the house of Israel, and they shall come together OUT OF THE LAND OF THE NORTH to the land that I have given for an inheritance unto your fathers.” (Jeremiah 3:12-18) Some of the house of Judah are also there, because the scriptures indicate that that is where the lost and legal inherited throne of David is located."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: felix ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 01:55AM

This can't be as it assumes the earth is spherical. The lost tribes must be on the under side of the earth.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 10:49AM

If you can believe Mormonism, you can believe anything.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 10:28AM

ditto

Posted by: not logged in again ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 12:33PM

"the Lost Ten Tribes have been hidden by God within the earth’s 'womb'"
"it can be accessed through the north polar orifice"

Is he saying that the earth has a huge vagina?

Unfortunately for Cluff and McConkie, a small thing called the Arctic Ocean rests under the north polar ice. If there were an opening, it would be full of water and the ten tribes would be long drowned.

This notion goes back to J. Smith, when the polar regions were still unexplored. TBMs simply can't admit that Smith was ever wrong:

"…Other questions were asked when Brother [William] Clayton was not present, one of which I will relate: I asked where the nine and a half tribes of Israel were. 'Well,' said he [JS], 'you remember the old caldron or potash kettle you used to boil maple sap in for sugar, don't you?' I said yes. 'Well,' said he, 'they are in the north pole in a concave just the shape of that kettle. And John the Revelator is with them, preparing them for their return.'" (Benjamin F. Johnson, My Life's Review, p. 93)

Did a little googling on Clay; he graduated HS in 1947 which would make him about 90. He and his wife have served four senior missions. He's a lost cause.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 10:39AM

“Is he saying that the earth has a huge vagina?”

That’s what the Hopi believe. It’s in the Grand Canyon.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 01:03PM

Gravimeters are astonishingly sensitive and can tell what kind of rock is underneath a plane. They are used in oil exploration. Oil is found in porous, relatively light rock.

There is an ancient rift valley running through NW Iowa much like the one presently in Africa. North America was once splitting in two, but the process stopped for some reason. Probably because God was saving it for Lehi. :)

The valley is about 3,000 feet deep iirc, but has over the aeons been completely filled with dirt, so it is not at all visible from the surface now. However, on a gravity map of Iowa, it sticks out like a sore thumb because the dirt is considerably less dense than rock would be. There is also a large meteor crater under Mason IA, now buried, that was found the same way. The book Annals of the Former World by John McPhee describes the investigation that discovered both of them. It is a book (tome: 1200 pages I believe) that describes the geology of Interstate 80 from NYC to San Francisco.

We also know how much denser the side of the moon facing earth is than the far side of the moon. That's how it ended up phase locked facing earth all the time in the first place.

We know the speed of seismic waves through various parts of the earth's interior, where denser material is found that reflects waves, etc. We also know quite precisely how fast the temperature rises as you move toward the interior of the earth. Deep gold mines (3 to 4 km deep) are quite warm at depth and require artificial cooling.

My point is that if there were a deep underground cave, it couldn't be too deep, or it would be too hot to be livable, and if it were big enough to house a civilization, it would be obvious as a gravitation anomaly. The hypothesis is right up there with people dressed like Quakers on the moon.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 02:12PM

A TBM once asked me--in what I interpreted as a somewhat skeptical tone--how we know that the core of the earth is metal. I suspected, but did not probe, that she was asking because she had read some wacky Mormon-authored book about the Hollow Earth Theory (and how it meshes so nicely with certain Latter-day mysteries); or maybe she had just heard about HET from a Mormon acquaintance referring to it.

She has some education in science and math (through high school and college) so I was able to lay out, in step-by-step fashion, the logic behind the mainstream scientific theory:

1. The volume of the earth can be easily determined through simple geometry.

2. The mass of the earth has been determined fairly precisely through orbiting satellites and laws of gravitation that are well understood.

3. The overall density of the earth is quickly computed with simple division.

4. The material found in the top portion of the earth is much less dense than the overall density of the earth.

5. The logical conclusion, therefore, is that much denser material must be found deeper in the earth. Metals are the logical answer.

6. The earth creates a strong magnetic field most easily explained by a spinning metal center.

7. Earthquake waves have been studied extensively and no hollow areas have been located.

She seemed satisfied with the explanation ... but I think I detected a little disappointment, too. : )

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 02:25PM

So you are saying Mormonism is false?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 02:30PM

What an unholy leap!

Calm down...remember, she who is not to be named has not yet weighed in on what her cousins have to say in the matter.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 02:36PM

If you'll be my bodyguard
I can be your long lost pal
I can call you Betty
And Betty, when you call me
You can call me Al

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 02:54PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What an unholy leap!
>
> Calm down...remember, she who is not to be named
> has not yet weighed in on what her cousins have to
> say in the matter.

Oh and I bet its gonna be real good too.

I can't wait. She who is not yet named always has

some pithy bits of gab to share with us.

Date: April 28, 2019 03:05PM

Every time EOD speaks of "the cousins" in that way, I recall John Le Carre's usage of that name for the somewhat inept American intelligence officers lurking just around the corner. An ominous if somewhat incompetent presence.

It adds another element of irony to the discussion of. . . quantum physics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2019 03:05PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: April 28, 2019 03:24PM

That earned a big Smiley!

Date: April 28, 2019 06:11PM

Thank you, by George!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2019 06:38PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 04:17PM

How does quantum physics differ from physics ?

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 08:56AM

elderolddog Wrote:
> What an unholy leap!
>
> say in the matter.

Another reply to yourself.

Date: June 25, 2019 12:44PM

It's not about the quantity, it's about the quality!

You're jealous, cuz none of your personalities have such joi de vivre!

Date: June 25, 2019 12:48PM

Fool. He is not speaking of me.

Nuance, Jordan, and context.

Date: June 26, 2019 03:07PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Fool. He is not speaking of me.
>
> Nuance, Jordan, and context.

NOte to new reader...for the record, we love Lots wife. Forever and ever amen.

Date: June 26, 2019 03:40PM

Jordan thinks She Who May Not Be Named is I. Once again he's failed to understand an allusion to many previous discussions. One might accuse him of being dense were we not all aware of his intelligence and perspica--

Well, okay. He's dense.

Jordan also thinks you, Saucie, and EOD and I are the same person. That means he does not believe BoboFitz and Hie and MemikeyouNot and Boner and all the others who have met you and/or you two. He has never read (or alternatively does not recall) the accounts by others of how you and EOD met at that ex-mo event; he has never seen the photo of you that used to be on this website and explained EOD's enthrallment as well as inspiring considerable jealousy among some male posters. He does not believe our mutual friend, the northern attorney.

He does not believe any of those folks. Either that or he's being childishly captious.*

You know what? In this instance I'm betting on childishly captious.

*Look it up, Jordan. Then you can start scattering it through your posts like "tendentious" and "inane."

Date: June 26, 2019 03:06PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> What an unholy leap!
>
> say in the matter.

And I just can't wait to hear what that will be. Scintillatingly

boring I'm sure.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 28, 2019 07:03PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Gravimeters are astonishingly sensitive and can
> tell what kind of rock is underneath a plane. They
> are used in oil exploration. Oil is found in
> porous, relatively light rock.

Similar electronic equipment that monitors magnetism is also used for prospecting / concentrated mineral deposit detection as it is also often attached to aircraft to conveniently cover large amounts of territory. It is notable that Iron is 5000 times more magnetic than the next most magnetic and abundant element (nickel) and other elements are significantly less magnetic than that, but the equipment is effective for a range of minerals with magnetic properties. However, despite that effectiveness, such equipment is not able to find any or get any significant indication of magnetism in an area in which tons of iron based blood was reportedly spilled and tons of abandoned iron based weaponry should be left/ reside in the ground, in what should be an iron rich area, in what was reportedly the largest mass battle ever on the american continent, known to the MORmONS as Hill Cumorah in New York.

Date: April 28, 2019 08:15PM

I have serious suspicions that the final battle at the Hill Cumorah never took place.

Wait! Erosion!

Phew!

Date: April 28, 2019 08:18PM

There were two Hill Cumorahs, doncha know it.

And that's besides the ones near the capital of Moroni in the Comoros Islands!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2019 08:18PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: April 28, 2019 09:39PM

I'm going by what the original teller of the tale said. The plates were in that hill cuz that's where they were deposited after the battle! Why would JS lie?

Date: April 28, 2019 05:14PM

"Quantum calienta el sol aqui en la playa..."

Date: April 28, 2019 05:25PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> "Quantum calienta el sol aqui en la playa..."

Hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahah

Date: April 28, 2019 05:29PM

Thank you...but the really good one was the "Smiley" response, but it's okay, because you don't read fiction.

Date: June 26, 2019 04:07PM

¡Hay mas mal en el aldehuela que se suena!

Date: April 28, 2019 05:29PM

"Quantum calenta el sol aqui en la playa...

Quantum calenta el sol circa de mi.

Date: June 25, 2019 01:00PM

This is truly the home of lost socks. All three of you on here. What a coincidence!

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: June 26, 2019 02:39PM

Pero el sol no está en la playa... :)

Date: June 26, 2019 07:52AM

Isn't there a doctrine somewhere that the flood was Earth's baptism?

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: June 26, 2019 02:00PM

"During Noah’s time the earth was completely covered with water. This was the baptism of the earth and symbolized a cleansing (1 Pet. 3:20–21)."

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/gs/flood-at-noahs-time?lang=eng

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 26, 2019 02:28PM

I got to thank everyone at RFM for all the information that I learned about 50 years ago as a non-Mormon and had forgotten.

I can hardly wait until the missionaries come around again, I'll get to ask them about the Quaker like people on the moon, the people on the sun, the hollow earth and the entrance at the north pole, then there's the article's of faith, how the profit/president can say contradictory things, one as Jesus spokesman and the other talking as a man, and at least finally to quiz them about their first temple experience. Thanks everyone.

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: June 26, 2019 02:40PM

"I will suffer my life to be ...."

Date: June 26, 2019 03:45PM

Most of the mishes won't have a clue, and will deny it to the hilt (they genuinely won't have ever been taught it)... But the back alleys of Mormonism are some of the most fun aspects of it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.