Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 11:46AM

More than other people do?

the whole thing about an 'afterlife' clouds their thinking, sometimes to a point of being ridiculous!!

comments/thoughts on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 11:53AM

The problem is that they don't use reason or logic at all. If they put to use some critical thinking skills, they would get out in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, cult like organizations are good at discouraging thought.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 12:04PM

They have an active fantasy life.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 01:24PM

but I probably gained that from mormonism or a mother who worried about EVERYTHING. My siblings and I all worry too much. We had a deaf grandmother, who was my mother's mother, who worried more than all of us. If I couldn't hear, I'd probably worry more, too. So it is something learned in our family.

I overthink things like quitting my job this past week. Glad I did it, but the whole experience is still bugging me.

This is probably why I still go to my therapist. I go tell him what is bothering me and he zeroes right in on why I do that and tells me why. Once he tells me why, I'm done with it.

I did find it rather telling that my father didn't worry about dying except he didn't know what to expect, and that bothered him, but he wasn't afraid. My stake president uncle was horrified at the thought of dying. He hung out in a nursing home for years. Why would a leader be afraid of dying and my dad wasn't? (My dad wasn't very mormon.)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 01:38PM

I've had the same experience that the more TBM a family member was, the more they feared dying. I think the basic problem is that true believers are convinced that unless they do everything Just Right, something terrible will happen. That's a worldview deeply rooted in fear.

Fear of dying is just a subset of their fear of everything in life.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 08:36PM

Marv Fransen characterized this as "existential terror".

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 02:18PM

Priesthood used to set up chairs in the culture hall on Sundays (when the church was still full of people). It was the responsibility of the deacons and teachers to get it done. It shouldn't have required a lot of thinking, but it did.

You see, it all depended on which penishead adviser thought that he knew best. One guy wanted them to face the stage with an aisle that created two sections (l-r). Another one wanted no aisle (Just one group) and another wanted 3 groupings.

Factor in that a member of the bishoprick wanted the chairs to face the opposite direction (near the overflow hallway) for one of those heavily attended missionary farewells when even non-members would show up.

And of course, there were times when the great dictator stake president would show up and we had to move the chairs to face his way (facing north). That meant that he stood under a basketball net (they were permanently down) and I daydreamed of chuckin' a ball at him.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 02:52PM

They accept illogical conclusions, then they must force their thinking to twist and turn and tangle to get to there. It's more a case of using their brains illogically than in actual realistic thinking.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 03:05PM

They under think everything they are told, and over think everything they do after being told. Examples.....

Church Leaders: Sex is only appropriate within the bounds of marriage.

Church Member (under thinking): Yep, I'll follow that counsel!

Church Member (over thinking): Is sex like meat in the word of wisdom...to be used sparingly and only in times of procreation? Can we remove our garments for sex? Can we lay together with no garments after sex? Do we need to pray before sex? Is performing XYZ on each other allowed? Can I do XYZ while my partner watches? Can we enjoy sex? Do we need to read scriptures before sex?

Or.....

Church Leader: Read and study the Book of Mormon.

Church Member (under thinking): Yep, I'll follow that counsel.

Church Member (over thinking): Is it best to read in the morning or before bed? How many times do I have to read it? Do we need to read out loud as a family? Am I supposed to give out copies with my picture and testimony in it so all my friends to read it? Can I read the older versions? Can I skip a day of reading and not be sinning?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 03:19PM

Well it could be argued that they don't... at least in the

critical thinking arena. It seems obvious that the Church's

desire is for its members not to think independently of what

they tell them which describes brainwashing to a T.

You know... hand over the tithing and we'll do the thinking

for you. It seems to me that once a person used his critical

thinking skills they would question things and leave the church,

thats what I did .

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 03:22PM

I think of it as revving the engine but never really engaging the clutch.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 08:06PM

Clutch??? What is this 'clutch' of which you speak?

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 07:56AM

I understand your confusion. It wasn't a standard feature on the flint-mobiles that were prevalent when you were learning to drive.
;)

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 06:29PM

A TBM from one of those mega families that produce hundreds of offspring, posted a video on Facebook of their grandpa giving the family (kids, grandkids, great-grandkids) a lecture about saving/investing money. He gave pretty good advise but ended by stressing the importance of tithing. He said that planet earth is a gift from God for us to use for our needs, and that tithing was how they paid God back for the use of planet earth.

I don't know if Mormons overthink everything but they definitely have a unique perspective on everything that favors the LDS corporation. They don't view the planet as a place shared by so many species, all doing what they can to survive, but a place specifically created for the needs of humans. Paying tithing to LDS Inc is how members pay God back for the use of the planet. It's a crazy warped way of viewing things, all to benefit LDS Inc. So twisted.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 07:00PM

Do Mormons overthink everything?
Only when they are alone or with somebody!

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: May 01, 2019 11:31PM

We don't do any real thinking. We are taught to obey.

Posted by: Angry ( )
Date: May 02, 2019 07:47AM

Their awnser for every natural thing is "God made it". So sick of hearing this and their doubt in science.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: May 03, 2019 09:09AM

Mormons I have dealt with tend to suspend thinking.

During my marriage to a TBM wife she had reduced every decision to a choice between: keep a temple recommend; lose a temple recommend. Anything else was irrelevant. The result is not much deep thought or philosophy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.