Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cakeordeath ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 08:13PM

Recently, I had an influx of out-of-town customers who I ring up and get them on their merry way. A lot of the OOTC's usually ask if I sell ice, coolers, smokes, lighters, mixers, and other items associated with my own product. To which I direct them to the local C-Store or grocery vendor. It's that time of year when the local university sheds it's thin veneer of youthful education-types and gets down to the business of weaning dollars out of snowbirds from Arizona. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I mean, universities have to survive, too. (Think on that for a minute).

Back to my new-found OOTC's. Most of them have questions that concern the costs/value of the item they are buying. Suggesting that '...back home in Arizona', in a Mid-West lilt which suggests she's been in Arizona for 2 golf seasons. Well, golf for her husband and afternoon cocktails for her and her girlfriends. But, I find myself explaining Utah laws regarding a certain consumable a challenge at times. Let me be more concise.

After having explained to a Snowbird-customer that she could still drink a bottle of wine and not go to jail in Utah, I was reminded of a personal family matter. I have an aunt who recently passed who the family avoided talking about. She had a great personality that was sad to see slide into dementia. She was responsible for helping me get my first surfboard against my parents wishes.

Explaining to my Snowbird-friend about Utah liquor laws was akin to helping my aunt in public. Everyone knew she was crazy and not herself. But, we kept pretending anyway.

My point is the State keeps pretending the crazy aunt is OK and she'll eventually go away. That's how the DABC is treated at times by people (legislature) who know more about marijuana chemistry than opioid abuse and its causes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 08:28PM

I'm guessing that you work in either a liquor store or a marijuana store.

Date: May 07, 2019 08:38PM

They may soon be the same but, until then, it's booze.

Cake

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 09:06PM

this happened ~

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: May 09, 2019 06:46PM

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 09:39PM

Utah isn't the only state with onerous laws regulating alcohol sales. It wasn't that long ago (5 or 6 years ago, maybe a little linger) that Washington finally allowed private retail vendors to sell containers of liquor (i.e., anything stronger than 13.5% ABV). Used to be you could only buy liquor at State-owned/operated liquor stores.

As far as I know, Minnesota still prohibits sales if anything stronger than near beer (3% ABV) on Sundays. Retail stores have to keep and sell all the stronger stuff in a separate room that can be closed and locked on Sundays.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 08:44AM

Minnesota has allowed Sunday liquor sales for about a year now. My Sunday routine now is to attend SM with my wife and then make a "beer run" while she attends Sunday school or the RS meeting.

EDIT: Almost two years. The new law took effect July 2, 2017.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2019 08:49AM by GregS.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 12:29PM

Don't sell yourself...

You may need YOU someday.

Drink up and think up!

Keep up the sales.
And yourself!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 08, 2019 02:09PM

>> I Work In Retail And I Only Sell One Thing

Propane? Hank, is that you?

Date: May 11, 2019 01:03AM

...And propane accessories.

Sorry not Hank Hill.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.