Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 11:53AM

Mormons claim to have a Heavenly Father but what they really have is a Heavenly Follower.

Back in Joseph's time, everyone who was anyone was having visions of Angels. So, Joseph had one. Then to set himself apart from the crowd, years later, he added God and then Jesus just to up the game. Worked well enough.

Back in Joseph's time there were many big temperance movements. My mother always used to say , "No one knew at the time that coffee was bad for you." Ha ha. Many were saying it. And Heavenly Father decided to join the throngs and reveal the WoW to his prophet.

The curse of Cain from the Bible was always a great way to discriminate against people of color. Mormon Heavenly father decided to get on that already rolling along band wagon as well. "Great idea. I'll have some of that," he said in his thundering tones. Then to add his own twist, and give it some pizazz, He revealed to Joseph that black servants could be black servants in the CK too. How magnanimous!

Then the world decided to rethink the curse of Cain thing and the way they treated the Blacks because, well, the Blacks weren't having it anymore. And lo and behold, after thinking about it for a couple of decades, Mormon God decided that if the other kids were jumping off the cliff, He would too. "Priesthood for everyone!" HE decreed. See? We do have modern revelation!

The thing is though, Mormon Heavenly Father is a little slow on the uptake. Years after the Psychiatrists decided being gay wasn't a mental illness, Heavenly Father was still instructing Oaks et al at BYU that electroshock therapy was the way to go for the gays. Finally had to quit that and follow a kinder society.

I would expect at the rate Mormon Heavenly Father follows the crowd, Marriage Equality will be the rage in the Mormon church by 2030.

Now this pesky thing society has got going on where women are taking their rightful place being what they want to be and taking no prisoners. Lets' start the count down on when Mormon Heavenly Father will decide to get on that trend. Any guesses?

I just wish society would move faster so Mormon Heavenly Father could follow faster. Would be nice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 12:12PM

I was thinking about how they missed the change in temple marriage for me by a mere few months. I have 2 children, one not mormon, and they missed me again.

They somehow didn't get the message in time back in 1983 when I went to them with the most important question I've ever had in my life.

You described how they missed the mark on so many things that influenced my life.

Never wanted the priesthood or anything. That isn't a big deal to me. Treating women better. Of course. It is still my fault my ex isn't straight. I was just a lab rat. They didn't see any value in me and I KNEW IT. Save yourself for marriage. Only because we men want a virgin (70 virgins, 1000 virgins).

Like my therapist said and I've posted it, "We tested mormonism to its very limits and it failed us."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 12:13PM by cl2.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 12:14PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Back in Joseph's time there were many big
> temperance movements. My mother always used to say
> , "No one knew at the time that coffee was bad for
> you." Ha ha. Many were saying it. And Heavenly
> Father decided to join the throngs and reveal the
> WoW to his prophet.

This is a primary example of the failings of Mormon prophets. Joe followed his time in attacking the temperature not the substance of the drink.

Then in Heber J.'s time the swing away from stimulants sealed cold coffee's fate in Mormonism.

Heavenly Follower is right. God Hisself gets it wrong through his servants the Mormon prophets.

Date: May 15, 2019 12:44PM

"God Hisself gets it wrong through his servants the Mormon prophets."

I love this line! That's how the old timers from my old pioneer town would have said it and I wonder how many of them thought it.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 07:46PM

At one RS lesson, the teacher said "Hisself" every time she referred to Jesus. All I remember about the lesson is "hisself" a million times and written on the chalk board.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 12:36AM

Your note about "Hisself" is hilarious!!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 01:28PM

"Hizzown badass self" would be awesome on the chalkboard.

Date: May 17, 2019 01:30PM

:D

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 01:36PM

“I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise” D&C something-or-other

I never quite got that one, but I suppose it's God's way of saying "If you go to bed at 10 I'll make those special pancakes in the morning, but if you stay up all night playing video games you can get your own damn breakfast."

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 01:06PM

Aren't Mormon years kind of like reverse Dog years. For every year the rest of us live the Mormon church takes 15 - 20 to get there? Thus explaining why they are stuck in the 1950's.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 05:38AM

Homosexuality used to be considered a mental illness, now homophobia is considered one.

I suspect in both cases, psychiatrists were guilty of following social trends rather than scientific data.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 11:11PM

could be true, but I can't say I've seen fundamentalist christians or mormons being phobic about homos... or homophobic. They are mostly just disgusted. We should substitute the word homophobic with a word like homo-ikky. This is more accurate to how people actually feel.

The current trend from conservatives is to label trans people as mentally ill.

Perhaps this will change? What one generation dislikes another embraces (like rock and roll).

Date: May 17, 2019 10:09AM

I read your response the other day and your comment re:homophobia being a mental illness got stuck in my head because I couldn't see it that way. Also the "social trends" comment really got my mind going, so I did some reading. Didn't find that much but did find this from a Peter Friedman who is not an authority but did offer this:

" . . . straight men are accustomed to relating to each other in specific, defined ways, and so are often uncomfortable with the idea that a man could be attracted to them, or disgusted at the thought of gay sex, or
disguising some homosexual inclinations of their own by showing and/or feeling hatred of gay men (I speak of men only because that’s what I know). Not long ago, homosexuality was widely considered a mental illness. Now, gay marriage is legal in a number of countries. In Catholic Ireland, the voters themselves directly legalized gay marriage. This means that homophobia was once far more widespread than it is now, which means that people can change (maybe not everyone) so it’s not necessarily a mental disorder. People whose homophobia persists after extensive exposure to gay relatives, friends, neighbors, celebrities, etc., probably do have a mental disorder, but those are extreme cases. After more time has passed for openly gay people to be fully integrated into society and for more straight people to be exposed to us, homophobia may someday be anachronistic and even considered a mental disorder . . ."

As for the social trend comment, I do see the side of society that tends to list anything outside of the norm as a mental illness when in fact it is just variety. I think the main reason people get over their homophobia is they get to know us, to see us, and to realize we are a variation and as a group we are no threat to ourselves or anyone else as someone with a mental illness may be. Unlike homophobes who are a threat. Like homophobic religions and religious that wish to take our rights away or chase us down an alley to beat us up. Gay bashing is still a real thing. So maybe homophobia is a mental illness.

So if people clearly change their attitudes toward gay people by being exposed to them, is their previous disdain for gays really a mental illness or just a product of misinformation, and miseducation?

I liked exploring this so thanks for that.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 11:38AM

Imagine being Gay AND left-handed!! Having all those possessive spirits at war within you would surely be exhausting!

Date: May 17, 2019 11:43AM

Haha. All during my youth I kept saying to myself, "Well, at least I'm not left handed." Always got to look on the bright side.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 11:50AM

Once I knew my ex, I had to struggle with seeing him as a monster as I had been taught he was, but I KNEW he wasn't as I knew him personally. It really did a mind fuck on my brain--the bullshit they fed me before and after I knew. I had an argument with a friend about gays not so very long before I ended up dating one.

Interesting thing is my sister's grandson is gay. My very good friends have a gay son. My neighbors, the old bishop, have a gay son. I know know of kids I grew up with who are gay.

People just don't know that they KNOW MANY GAYS and love many gays.

But I do know that the fact that I went through what I did has helped my sister and her family. There has never been a question about their love for their son, nephew, grandson. My sister teaches school and she made sure she was working in the schools her grandson was in. She would transfer. She lives in the Twin Falls are and there are plenty to transfer to. She wanted to make sure he was okay. He has a gay uncle on his mother's side and he is married. So her grandson has A LOT of support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 11:52AM by cl2.

Date: May 17, 2019 01:05PM

Took our grandson who's gay out to lunch the other day. While leaving, an older waitress said, "Is he your grandson? What a nice kid! I bet you're proud of him."

Yes, we are.

(I think he's left handed, too.)

:)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.