Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forgotmyname ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 05:23PM

Predictably, many of my Mormon friends are cheering the abortion ban than just passed in the backwards state of Alabama.

I am angered at the hipocrisy of Mormons having anything to do with politics, but this in particular. One of the things I actually liked about Mormonism was the idea of "Choose the Right."

CHOOSE to do what you think is the right thing, even if/when the pressure to do something else is great.

That encapsulates being a good person, IMO.

Mormons CHOOSE not to drink or smoke, despite those two being ubiquitous. They CHOOSE to dress "modestly," even when those styles are outdated and not popular. It actually takes strength of character to stick to what you believe when the social norms are pushing you in the other direction. Strength of character is to be commended.

So why are they now cheering on the brute force of law which takes away choice for people? Why are they so hell-bent on controlling others when the value of personal convictions lies in being in a position to make a mistake, to take a risk, to put your professed beliefs to the test?

This country is going backward, and fast. And Mormons are now cheering that on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 05:42PM

>> CHOOSE to do what you think is the right thing, even if/when the pressure to do something else is great.

>>That encapsulates being a good person, IMO.

Ah yes, but the church's version of choosing what is right is choosing what the church tells you is right. Go against the pressure and do something else and you have chosen the wrong.

If the church teaching was "choose the right, and only you know whats right for you, and if it isn't the church, we wish you the best of luck and have no animosity towards you" then I might agree with your notion that LDS choose the right is commendable.

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 06:27PM

The sort of person would who want to have an abortion should be allowed to have one. In a lot of cases I would actually encourage it and would advocate that it be provided free as a public health service. In the case of the poor, it is certainly far less expensive than allowing the production of another child that will be a massive expense to the state/fed government for at least 20 years.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 06:35PM

I'm waiting for the simple and easy test that predicts the IQ and 'body image' of the less-than-30-day-old fetus, so that if the fetus isn't 'up to snuff', the State will pay to have it flushed out. That way we'll never have to get around to sterilizing those who shouldn't reproduce, as advocated by progressives in the 1920s and 1930s...much less have to waste time culling the defectives from the human herd.

And nobody has to get their hands dirty!

Do I really advocate this? I don't know. We are, after all, just animals, so why not have a breeding program? Unfortunately had such a program existed 75 years ago, I wouldn't have been born. So there's that...

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 06:46PM

>> We are, after all, just animals, so why not have a breeding program?

That's a slippery slope. Soylent green is people you know?

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 07:12PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm waiting for the simple and easy test that
> predicts the IQ and 'body image' of the
> less-than-30-day-old fetus, so that if the fetus
> isn't 'up to snuff', the State will pay to have it
> flushed out. That way we'll never have to get
> around to sterilizing those who shouldn't
> reproduce, as advocated by progressives in the
> 1920s and 1930s...much less have to waste time
> culling the defectives from the human herd.

I know you're being ironic but this actually makes a lot of logical sense. You could even take the state out of it and let the choice be on the prospective parents who'd have to raise the end result if viable.

> Do I really advocate this? I don't know. We are,
> after all, just animals, so why not have a
> breeding program? Unfortunately had such a
> program existed 75 years ago, I wouldn't have been
> born. So there's that...

"I wouldn't be born" if such-and-such didn't take place is such a fallacious argument. Obviously you were born at the time and place you were because you weren't born from a different set of ancestors..

Everybody practices eugenics whether they call it that or not. The choice is between eugenics or dysgenics. Do you want humanity to be better or worse?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 07:28PM

Next, we'll be hiring a firm to seek breeding applicants and to then winnow through them to find the best match possible based on our budgets.

The more key points of our genetic make-up that you can afford to have measured, the better your chances will be to find genetic happiness! Eventually 'falling in love' will be silly, barbaric custom, viewed with the same disdain as going to a barber to be bled of your bad humors.

Science is the key to happiness and drug companies deliver that happiness!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 09:54PM

It is ironic, is it not, when people unwittingly reprise Huxley without knowing where that story leads?

I’d buy stock in Cliff Notes if it were not for the fact that those who should read, don’t read.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 09:36PM

Gattaca.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 05:44AM

They already abort children with Down Syndrome in Iceland, and in some places, if they find the baby is female they abort her too, which has led to a gender balance in some parts of the world.

Posted by: forgotmyname ( )
Date: May 15, 2019 09:15PM

You're supposed to have the inner strength to live how you believe, and you're not supposed to judge others, AND you're supposed to charitably help those in need, even if they're deemed "sinners." Therefore, this abortion bill ought to be abhorred by the Mormon rightwing crowd.

I have seen first hand how unwanted children are raised. I've seen what happens when teenage moms try to go it alone (after being shunned by their holier-than-thou friends and family). They end up with malnourished kids because they don't know how to feed their babies. They don't know how to breast feed, they're too embarrassed and shamed to ask for help, they don't have enough money for decent formula and food.

If Mormons are going to be anti-abortion to the point of cheering on a bill that doesn't even leave exceptions for rape cases, then they should by all means be creating a nationwide support system for mothers. FREE daycare. FREE information. FREE child psychology classes. FREE babysitters. FREE nutrition guidance. If you want a young, unprepared, unwilling mother to raise a child, then help her out.

Rant over. I need a beer.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 10:34PM

forgotmyname Wrote:
> I have seen first hand how unwanted children are raised.

Agreed. Every child should be wanted. Results when they are born unwanted are terrible.

Agree with your rant and joining you for a virtual beer!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 05:57AM

They’ll ban abortion but they won’t ban drone strikes.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 11:11AM

and while we are at it... let's have an honest chat about birth control... country where their are no non-sense sex education classes and readily available birth control have a much lower rate of those pesky unwanted pregnancies... the need to control the morality of everybody else is the bedrock of the MorgCo religion these days... besides where's the fun in not being able to shame those unfortunates that are stuck with unplanned pregnancies... they just love to throw stones from their glass houses!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 11:15AM

This world is built on "forcing your ways on others." Period. Since the beginning of time.

Yes there are some good Samaritans sprinkled in here and there. Yes some leaders have taught peace and reciprocity. But what rules the world is strength, not goodness.

From the beginning of time it has always been so. Might equals right has always been the underlying current of everything. Religion knows this. Religion knows how critical it is to have government do their bidding. The religious are adapting. The Mormon church is as political as any or more so.

The Holy Crusades are not a thing of the past. They are just more P.C. these days. They don't buy horses and swords nowadays, they buy politicians or raise them.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 10:38PM

Done & Done Wrote:
> This world is built on "forcing your ways on others." Period. Since the beginning of time.

Absolutely. Sad but true. Vulnerability is a poor strategy in the world.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 08:26PM

They can't choose,
And don't want to,
And don't want others to...

Life is a set of robotic reactions to mormons, to the environment, to life itself.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.