Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: theEnquirer ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 10:06AM

Does anyone know what all is kept in an individuals membership record? Specifically - do they keep track of sins confessed?

I'm looking to have my name removed and am curious if a nefarious bishop could use my confession history against me.

Would be interested to hear from former bishops or state presidents.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 10:14AM

Your efforts are useless, they will never tell you what is in the file.

Date: May 16, 2019 10:22AM

I understand your point and agree that the crutch will never tell me.

However -- I was hoping an ex-bishop or state president on this board would possibly provide some insight having seen membership records themselves.

Worth a shot.

Date: May 16, 2019 10:25AM

Just an FYI, it is the Cult, not the church.

Date: May 16, 2019 10:28AM

Or as I like to call it -- "the crutch"

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 07:02PM

No one's name is removed. The names are merely put into a new category with other former members. The mormon church saves records and refers to them for dead dunking or in case someone asks to be rebaptized. Then the blessings and priesthood levels can be reinstated as they were. The church also wants to know if someone being baptized is a child molester or if they've robbed the church of fast offerings and such. These crimes must be documented.

The mormon church owns whatever records they kept on members just like doctors own records of patients they've treated and employers own records of their employees.

What do so-called leaders keep on individuals? It likely varies a great deal just like the questions they ask and the methods they use to deal with people and situations. No one forces them to do everything in a regimented way. They have leeway and personal choice in what they do.

I don't care what's in church records about me, lies or not. To me, it's like worrying about what the slugs under rocks think of me. I only want to be left alone and not have them crawling to my door or oozing their way into my life..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 07:09PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 07:05PM

...I think they sell current and former member data. Just like every other social media platform. We should receive a residual.

Date: May 16, 2019 07:39PM

ConcernedCitizen 2.0 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...I think they sell current and former member
> data. Just like every other social media
> platform. We should receive a residual.

Just based on the estimated $33 Billion in assets, not including property that could be liquidated, every one of their 16 million members (yeah right) should receive the following one time payment: $2,062.50.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 10:08PM

“Then the blessings and priesthood levels can be reinstated as they were.”

So the dunking and the laying on of hands stuff are just for show. They push a button to delete them and push another button to restore them. Maybe ^Z and ^Y. Those guys thought of everything.

This is why coffee is against the WoW. Spilling a cup of coffee on the keyboard could bring about the end of days.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 10:24PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> This is why coffee is against the WoW. Spilling a cup of coffee on the keyboard could bring about the end of days.

Good one, Babs! Hahaha that coffee is lethal!!

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 18, 2019 06:37AM

I love the slug comparison, Cheryl! It's hilarious but accurate!Lolololololol

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 11:32PM

Oozing their way into my life.....
Good one! :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 07:26PM

Based on input from some former Ward Clerks, here's my take on the matter.

In the computer records of each member, there is a 'curtain' behind which are hidden certain portions (one imagines them to be the naughty bits...) of that members records. Only the bishop and SP can see those.

It stands to reason that as people vary, so does the extent and detail of each entry. I doubt there is any set standard about what should be listed and the extent of the details.

And of course, this only applies to things that could be inputted after computers became an everyday thing. I imagine that my record at one point had a notation that I'd had sex outside of wedlock and that a GA interviewed me (I wish I could remember who it was!) and signed off on me going on a mission. There was one other pre-computer incident that I bragged about/confessed, but no follow up was required and I wonder if that is still there?

Post computer, again, I think it depends on the bishops, and maybe the SP if it gets sent to him for handling. Bishops roulette again...

But if there is something behind the curtain, yeah, only the bishop of that ward and the SP of that stake can see it.

Your concern about a nefarious bishop finding mention of what you confessed to depends on how much was typed into the record by the bishop and SP to whom you confessed and who oversaw your return to grace. And yes, if it's there, your current bishop could find and gossip about it, if mormons were the type to gossip...

I'd wear it as a badge of honor. But I'm a pretty sick and twisted. And if he does blab, I doubt you could sue him, absent any pecuniary losses, because it's not slander.

Date: May 16, 2019 07:35PM

Oh they gossip all right.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 08:22PM

Inactive for over 20 years...
The current bishop knew my 'rank': teacher.

It suited me fine.
It'll teach them!

I learned the "truth"
Without even investigating.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 03:41PM

There are a lot of dates and things in the records, and when I was a records clerk I was made aware of the need for total confidentiality. I mean, I was able to easily divine from the records of an acquaintance that he did NOT get sent back from his mission for a severe leg problem, but because he had made a girlfriend pregnant. But the problem of letting just any old guy become a clerk and then have access to the records is frightening. The records also list all the times a person has been "disciplined," such as having once been excommunicated or disfellowshipped, and all that.

Date: May 19, 2019 05:07PM

Maybe he severely injured his leg having sex with the fertile female? It, the pregnancy, was obviously part of ghawd's plan, so I think your acquaintance's bravery and self-sacrifice deserve a lot of respect!

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 07:04PM

You are in the wrong religious forum.

There have never been any state presidents in the Mormon church.

And to elderolddog,

Please spell God's name correctly.

Date: May 19, 2019 07:23PM

To screen name: no, daddy. Inna gonna do it my way. Amyjo said I could.

Date: May 19, 2019 10:04PM

Screen Name Wrote:
> You are in the wrong religious forum.
>
> There have never been any state presidents in the
> Mormon church.
>
> And to elderolddog,
>
> Please spell God's name correctly.
It is called satire. I think the EOD is hilarious.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 07:14PM

Just curious. Has anyone who has resigned their membership called membership records to ask a simple question like: "Can you tell me which ward I am in? I have been away from church for some years." I wonder if that information would be readily available and if it is whether it would furnish evidence that you are still on the rolls.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 19, 2019 10:16PM

They'd just put your address in to tell you your ward. They wouldn't need to look at your records.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 20, 2019 10:57PM

They remove it from one hat to the other... or is it the (slight of) hand?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.