Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Daphne ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 11:07PM

So, wackadoodle cousin is sending out paranoid emails about the equality bill. He claims that if it passes the government will force the LDS church to cease distinguishing between males and females. To him that means if men hold the priesthood, women can too,(gasp), and chastity could not be taught correctly.

Can someone explain this to me. What does ordination have to do with chastity?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 11:28PM

It's the slippery slope, Daphne. Drink a Diet Mountain Dew today, sacrifice kids to Molech tomorrow.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 11:26AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's the slippery slope, Daphne. Drink a Diet
> Mountain Dew today, sacrifice kids to Molech
> tomorrow.

Kids? Nope, sacrifice all your morals to the liberal agenda so you can ponder how to reduce world population and reduce climate change.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 12:23PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> ...liberal agenda...

Mountain Dew is a conservative drink, the fuel that powers the guardians of freedom, fast cars and bald eagles.

Date: May 22, 2019 12:35PM

olderelder Wrote:
> the fuel
> that powers the guardians of freedom, fast cars
> and bald eagles.

Well if it is Diet then they won't get very far.

Date: May 22, 2019 12:36PM

You guys both have me in stitches!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 11:43PM

Wackadoodle cousin is bucking to become a leader of ChurchCo;

he KNOWS that ChurchCo deals in hyperbole, rhetoric, & half-lies, so that's the pattern he's following.

there has rarely been any Quality Control on the BS statements & reasoning that ChurchCo leaders portion out (down to & including Sunday School lessons!), Paul Dunn from years ago is a glaring exception.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 11:49PM

If LDS were a drug, it would totally be against the WoW.

Date: May 22, 2019 11:27AM

It is and it is.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 12:36AM

Whackadoodle cousin is a whackadoodle.

The equality bill will not and cannot force the mormon church to ordain (or stop ordaining) anybody or to teach (or stop teaching) anything. Even if the bill tried to do that--which it does not--it would be baldly unconstitutional. Congress simply does not have the power to pass no laws telling churches how to run their owns affairs. U.S. Const., amend I.

Tell cousin to cool it.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 04:38AM

I think it's too late for the Mormon church to teach anything to Chastity and Chaz probably isn't interested.

Sorry. I need to get some coffee.

Date: May 22, 2019 11:27AM

If they institute a "don't ask, don't tell" policy Chaz can receive their priesthood.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 09:15AM

I'd like to see a link for this equality bill, I'm not aware of it's specifics but this much I can say about the current social and political situation in America...

there is a movement to get rid of the sexes (or rather get rid of the masculine sex). Since the 1960s all the civil rights stuff was accomplished but the newer generations have to feel like there is still something to fight for, there are still below average people in this world, and in a cultural marxist mindset all systems of power or privileged must be questioned. If there is someone doing good then they must be stealing from poor marginalized people and women.

The new activists are as upset as ever, so now we have to have manufactured victim. Manufactured discrimination. A good example of this is the pay gap disparity that supposedly females earn less than males and so they have to be victims of oppression (white males being the oppressor). So get prepared for 2020 political frenzy because we are going to be hearing a lot about how they are going to make everyone equal.

I'm guessing the next fight will be to get rid of male priesthood, or let women have it as well. Which actually could have some benefits? The first step will be letting little girls be deconnettes. And pass the sacrament.

Date: May 22, 2019 10:21AM

Manufacturing their own victimhood, huh? You'd never do something like that, would you?

Oh no, it's the "cultural marxists!" LOL

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 11:36AM

Everything you post is hilariously wrong-headed.

Date: May 22, 2019 11:44AM

macaRomney Wrote:
> The first
> step will be letting little girls be deconnettes.
> And pass the sacrament.

deaconesses

You are thinking of these people.

https://www.rockettes.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2019 11:46AM by Elder Berry.

Date: May 22, 2019 11:52AM

"Cultural Marxism:" you learned a new phrase from Jordan. What does it mean? He can't tell us. Can you?

The false wage gap: you learned a new concept from some of the other Jerry Springer guests. Can you document it?

I'm all for expanding one's horizons, but hopefully it is done with some critical thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2019 12:37PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 01:31AM

Arm waving doesn’t settle it for you?

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 10:21AM

I have a whack-a-doodle cousin too... he spouts the Mormon talking points too... Anything Fox news spouts he'll parrot back... at first I thought it was just him... but a returned missionary started working in my building, and I had friendly relations with him... amazingly he would tout the exact same talking points. For example.
1. You shouldn't help the poor because they are lazy moochers.
2. The Mormon Church should be in charge of welfare because they would do it better then the government.
3. It should be illegal for women to wear yoga pants.
4. It is okay to be cruel to animals because it says so in the Bible.
5. Modern Art is silly and a gateway to Satan.
6. Guns, guns, and more guns.
7. Which would you rather live in... a mansion or a grass hut.
8. We don't need to worry about the planet because after we destroy it God is going to create a new planet for us to live on.
9. Science is wrong and the church is right.
10. All the questions have been answered, so no need to ask.
11. I am a member of the priesthood... you do not have the right to challenge me.
12. All members of congress should be forced to read the BofM.
13. The only reason we are against trans-gendered people (used to be gay) is because they confuse children. And psychologist are incorrect that it is a bit more complicated than that, and besides that lifestyle doesn't comply with the church.
14. The reason we have dinosaur bones is because God borrowed from other planets when he created earth. The dino bones were left behind to test our faith.
15. The BofM is a more accurate document than the Babble because JS said so.
16. And but we still love everybody...

etc... etc... etc...

So if the GA's spout something it is taken as the word of God and that is that! (No thought required)

And when it comes to the law of chastity... if it falls short of the TCOJCOLDS it should be illegal or discriminatory laws that take away the churches right to love people how they deem fit is an infringement upon their rights. They are all a bunch of Whack-a-doodles.

I was talking to a friend who said she knew of a Progressive Mormon female. I responded if she is that progressive she needs to stand up at the next F&T meeting and let the church how backwards they are on their views and see how that goes. In the closet church progressives are about as useless as tits on the boar!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2019 10:28AM by shylock.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 10:41AM

I love your list. Heard them all at one time or another. It's like a trip down memory lane.

Unfortunately number 16 is the most unbelievable of all.

Date: May 22, 2019 11:28AM

What about slavery? It is "cool" in the Bible so why not push for that???

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 10:55AM

Racial equality became the law of the land in 1964. TSCC still refused to ordain blacks, or allow them to do temple ordinances for another 14 years.

Your wackadoodle cousin has nothing to fear.

Date: May 22, 2019 11:54AM

CrispingPin Wrote:
> Racial equality became the law of the land in
> 1964.

Your dates are off by about a century. Try *1864*. 42 USC s. 1981.

> Your wackadoodle cousin has nothing to fear.

Agreed.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 11:23AM

I wouldn't wear them even if I was a perfect specimen, but that's me. Maybe men shouldn't be able to wear white shirts.

I don't know what this is about women and chastity, etc. It sounds like your cousin seems to think he has control over female chastity?

My dad was rather authoritarian (though my mom had her ways to keep him in line ha ha), but he never took the priesthood as authority. It was more of a "oh shit, I have to do HT." I had friends I worked with where the husband was inactive mormon and my dad was assigned to be their HT. They absolutely loved him as he just went and chatted and they got to know him really well. They changed their HTs and they were SO ANGRY.

These men who take the priesthood as their right to "lord it over" the women are disgusting human beings. I have an uncle who is that way (not blood relative). He is 88 or so. Wish he'd drop dead. I hadn't seen him in 19 years and he felt he had the right to order me back to church. Oh, and he got to go see my daughter get married. Go figure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2019 11:25AM by cl2.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 11:55AM

I think legally, there's actually not much to worry about with the Equality Act and the LDS Church being free to set their standards for their institution.

What they really worry about is that the adoption of the Equality Act will accelerate the social acceptance of LGBTQ+ people in our society. If a business owner can't discriminate against such people and has to hire them, the owner might discover that this person is a hard worker, community oriented and not an existential threat to "the family."

I put "the family" in quotes, because in Mormonism the concept of "family" has outgrown the actual life experience in families. The LDS concept of family has become so strict, so idealized that it becomes unattainable and exclusive. I actually found that it put me off from family life, because living up to the ideal felt impossible.

Lions and tigers and bears oh my!

Date: May 22, 2019 12:00PM

snowball Wrote:
> Lions and tigers and bears oh my!

And Dorothy might be hiding something under her dress!

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 03:46PM

I do not know that much about debate rules or logical fallacies, and even I know that slippery slope arguments like his are garbage.

I swear THC induces less paranoia than Mormonism.

Date: May 22, 2019 06:12PM

I think the argument goes "without men to guide them women become..."

Less about paranoia and more about misogyny.

Date: May 22, 2019 06:34PM

The whackjob cousin's claims come from his twisted idea of thinking that the big bad government will force Mormons to disregard the idea of gender due to the equality bill, even though the bill is about not denying LGBTQI people services just for being who they are. But your post on the end argument is correct.

So I'll say his argument is paranoia rooted in misogyny.

Date: May 23, 2019 11:22AM

ookami Wrote:
> The whackjob cousin's claims come from his twisted
> idea of thinking that the big bad government will
> force Mormons to disregard the idea of gender due
> to the equality bill, even though the bill is
> about not denying LGBTQI people services just for
> being who they are.

Presently, the big bad government can't force anyone to believe anything. Why is it so many people equate government with the ability to change huge swathes and segments of their population based solely on their rule of law or leadership?

In a Big Brother totalitarian state this might be "truer" but it is so far from universal as to be laughable especially given Western societies have mostly have individual autonomy (starting with the rich and influential) as close to a creed as possibly in its long development.

You don't have to be a student of history or human nature to understand that your government can try all it wants to change your mind but can't. Religion has more success in that department and still don't have the hold these "paranoid" people think they do.

What I do find in common with many people is that their personal biases are looking for a "greater good" to be strengthen. Misogyny as a "greater good" is what this "paranoia" looks like to me. Calling it paranoia makes it look like a disability which I don't believe it is.

Posted by: HWint ( )
Date: May 23, 2019 11:30AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> ookami Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----

>
> Presently, the big bad government can't force
> anyone to believe anything. Why is it so many
> people equate government with the ability to
> change huge swathes and segments of their
> population based solely on their rule of law or
> leadership?
>
the government can effectively mandate what's printed in textbooks and taught in schools.

Date: May 23, 2019 11:44AM

And of course kids prefer reading to listening to parents...

Date: May 24, 2019 01:17AM

I was being sarcastic when I mentioned the "big bad government." I should have used quotation marks in that post.

And you're right; nothing about that misogyny is paranoia. Sorry I made an ass of myself.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 06:16PM

From an early age I came to think of it as "Chastity, a suggested regimen for living, but hey, it's your life" kind of thing...

Posted by: HWint ( )
Date: May 23, 2019 11:29AM

maybe I'm a whackadoodle because I think the recent Equality Act is hypocritical, unnecessary and political grandstanding.

it's been illegal for companies to pay men and women differently for doing the same work since the JFK administration. almost all gender pay disparities are explained by men and women making different career choices. see Why Men Earn More by Warren Farrell for a very detailed explanation.

the Equality Act is intended to address only certain types of inequality. women dominate early childhood education, psychology, social work, dental hygiene, and many other careers. we somehow NEED more women CEOs and computer coders, but nobody objects to male domination in logging, construction; there will be no Congressional mandates to make Linemen into Line-women or Line-persons. there will be zero attempt to make a more equitable distribution of jobs in these careers.

The science is far from settled on the transgender issue, the bill puts trendy political and social causes above medical evidence and research. now women are losing athletic scholarships to trans-women who were born male but declared themselves female by fiat. it's hilarious how feminism has been hijacked by this trans-mania.

for decades I heard Democrats saying you can't legislate morality; now they're attempting to legislate morality.

the whole thing is just a joke IMHO

Date: May 23, 2019 11:46AM

HWint Wrote:
> The science is far from settled on the transgender
> issue, the bill puts trendy political and social
> causes above medical evidence and research. now
> women are losing athletic scholarships to
> trans-women who were born male but declared
> themselves female by fiat.

Oh, the horror!

And science doesn't settle this in my opinion. There is no law of gravity for human concepts.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 12:14AM

Well said, but I've made such points before, and people still keep spouting the gender wage gap and inequality BS.

Pretty much a religion. I'm considering going back to church which is based more on reality than feminism.

As Professor Janice Fiamengo wrote in this piece, feminism is a religion.

https://www.julesgomes.com/single-post/Feminism-is-a-religion-with-its-myths-of-creation-sin-and-salvation

Of course, government is also a religion (statism). Just pass an equality act, and give it enough money, and government will cause miracles to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uVV2Dcqt0&app=desktop

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: May 24, 2019 12:26AM

Was just watching former radical feminist, Dr. Fiamango discuss "theofeminists" who consider skeptics to be in apostasy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCk1MufPNj8

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.