Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 09:21PM

He died in his Zion: St. George, Utah. The report was that he died peacefully, not that I care. He was 84.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 09:25PM

Will you attend the funeral ? I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 09:26PM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 09:32PM

Hopefully some peace will come to you.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 09:36PM

I hope it brings you peace.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 09:43PM

It is what it is, right? A fact. And glad that you posted here.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 10:17PM

I understand ... you feel what you feel and thats how its

supposed to be. You can't change anything just because he's

dead.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 10:23PM

But it can also be a great relief. I hope you're at peace.

I am personally glad and relieved when bad parents pass away but I can't speak for others.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 11:23PM

What I’m sorry about is how he treated you while he was alive.
Please take care, our wonderful Don.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 11:25PM

You are now free, Don--free in ways you've never been before.

Now you can begin to fly, untethered.

As this new reality becomes your everyday awareness, I wish you ever increasing inner peace.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 11:27PM

I hope there is Peace for everyone involved, including your dad too...

just me: I hope you'll find peace perhaps forgiving your dad, to some extent we're all products of our upbringing. Many if not most Mormons are easily influenced / indoctrinated into harmful choices & actions.

Peace Out, bro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2019 11:34PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 11:35PM

If there is an afterlife he has already had his life review.
Hope that thought helps you a little.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 12:26AM

Don't expect all those horrible memories to fade, right away. It doesn't happen that way. It's not quite 18 years since my mother died, and I still get nightmares sometimes. Not nearly as often, however.

Peace to you, bro.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 12:49AM

I wish you peace, Don.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 01:34AM

I read that he was surrounded by loving family members, which causes me to believe that you were not there.

When my alcoholic and abusive father died, none of us were there, because he was living in a half-way house in Bakersfield. We chose the cheapest casket possible (because my sister and I had no money, and someone else was paying), and shipped him by train to be buried in Boonville, IN. Are kids a burden? Thppppt. Parents are the real burdens.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 01:58AM

He wasn't terribly old.

I'm wondering if you are going to the funeral.

You are not obligated to "forgive", you know. That is not your burden. You've had to put a lot of energy into recovering, and into moving forward.

One of my PTST-generated mottos is "Love those who can love you in return."

My genteel, proper mother told me, when my Narcissistic ex Mother-in was acting out, and I was agonizing over what to do to make things better: "She is not worthy of your consideration."

Your father was never worthy of your consideration, and now he's gone. Open the windows! Open the doors! Let in the fresh air!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 03:35AM

Congratulations, Don.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 05:35AM

From "Conspiracy," a film about the 1942 Wannsee Conference that
set the Holocaust in motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZMuOhuB3Wo

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 05:49AM

(((don))) Peace and love to you. When my terrible mother died it was a relief. I hope you feel that same much needed relief.

Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 10:13AM

By the time my father died there had been SO many "he won't make it long" moments, I mean like 20 years of it, that it was just kind of like "Oh, it really happened." I waited to feel something, but never did. I realized that the times when I felt ok being around my dad--when my kids were young and enjoyed their grandparents as he enjoyed spoiling them, were long gone. There was just no new-found sense of loss. I'd already been through that years prior.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2019 10:17AM by lachesis.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 07:47AM

I can't help but feel your dad died with many regrets. One of them was his lack of a relationship with you.

May you find solace and peace you've been longing for at last as you reconcile your loss ... albeit you lost him long before his passing.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 09:03AM

So sorry about all of it, Don.

Posted by: xxMoo0 ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 09:27AM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He died in his Zion: St. George, Utah. The report
> was that he died peacefully, not that I care. He
> was 84.

He probably didn't like you that much either, I gather

Maybe there was someone else in his life who was more important to him (& vice versa) from decades ago, someone you don't even know about

People have secrets

Who can figure out all the causes & effects and conditioning that go into making up a personality. Your dad's father and his father before him and so on.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 09:32AM

Don
Your stories about growing up and your abusive father frequently pop into my head when I talk to others about growing up in dysfunctional families. Especially, since we are around the same age. You are an amazing writer and your growing up stories are powerful and I hope therapeutic.

Sending karma to you from Montana.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 09:42AM

What kind of planet do you think he’ll get?

Posted by: Notelling ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 11:04AM

I nothing about your father or your relationship, but I will suggest forgiveness, not because he deserves it, but because you deserve it.

We can't move on in our life if we hold onto anger, we need to forgive others just as we would like to be forgiven, you might say you haven't done anything that needs to be forgiven, but we all have done things that are wrong, some minor some major, we will all get what we deserve in the end.

It is best for YOU to try and forgive him and move on, of course that is not easy, but it will do you no good to stay angry and blame even if blame is justified, it simply does you no good.

Date: May 27, 2019 11:07AM

That is a common sentiment. I'm not entirely sure it's always true. It may be for some and not for others. Everyone's experience and adaptation is different.

Date: May 27, 2019 12:08PM

It's a good idea to realize that humans are different and their situations are different. Individualized advice is better than general platitudes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2019 12:48PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 02:39PM

In a deep vault, the door to which is sort of blocked from view by a potted plant, is where I store my memories of those who malevolently did me wrong, who knew they were lying when they lied and who were satisfied that the harm they were doing to me was a good thing. This vault is climate controlled, pest-proof and has a good alarm system.

Forgive? Not a chance. There is no statute of limitations.

Am I on someone else's list? Sadly, yes.

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 07:53PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> In a deep vault, the door to which is sort of
> blocked from view by a potted plant, is where I
> store my memories of those who malevolently did me
> wrong, who knew they were lying when they lied and
> who were satisfied that the harm they were doing
> to me was a good thing. This vault is climate
> controlled, pest-proof and has a good alarm
> system.
>
> Forgive? Not a chance. There is no statute of
> limitations.

There was a girl in preschool who had one of those candy necklaces you know, self-explanatory, and I wanted to look at it but the string ended up breaking and scattering the little candy pieces all over and she told on me and I got in trouble but I did NOT intend to do that. Total lie! I still remember it forty years later

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 01:14AM

"Forgive? Not a chance. There is no statute of limitations."

I have been told - probably more times than I can remember - that forgiveness is MANDATORY. Some prior unkindnesses have indeed been forgotten. But there have been a very few people in my life whose behavior caused pain that I don't think I deserved.

If I wanted to forgive them, I don't know where it would start, what it would look like or feel like. Their behavior toward me was malignant. It took its toll, as malignancies do.

None of them ever expressed regret for what they did, so they can just simmer in their own juices.

Forgive? Maybe some day. Not yet. "No statute of limitations."

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 11:40AM

If there is an afterlife I think he got a rude awakening. I hope you can find peace knowing you no longer share the planet with him.

Posted by: anon 4 this ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 01:16PM

My asshole father died two years ago this month. I laughed when I was informed because the world instantly became a better place.

There were no services but I wouldn't have gone anyway. He was cremated; if he'd been buried I'd have gone to his plot and laced it with salt to prevent any grass from growing there.

You're not alone.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 01:24PM

That scum should have died in agony for how he treated you and your siblings.

And I hope you find peace now that he's dead.

Date: May 27, 2019 02:06PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 02:14PM

Even though we've never met, I was shocked to read about your father dying. What kind of emotions you must be feeling.

I don't believe for one minute you did anything that needs to be forgiven. You were born as his son and you had no choice in the matter. He was someone who should never have been a dad. I'm glad you raised your son with love and caring. You are a deep and caring person. Your personality reminds me a lot of 2 of my brothers, 2 of my nephews, and my son. You are too emotionally intelligent to deal with the type of people that your dad was.

As others have stated, I hope this gives you some peace.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 03:09PM

No matter who our parents were in life, it's a loss when they die.

We each grieve in our own way. Don will grieve in his. Maybe his dad's passing will be a cause for celebration. If not now, perhaps in time.

Peace comes after the grieving. Let the healing begin.

Is it necessary to forgive in order to let go of old hurts? That would depend on the hurt/s and the anger. I believe it's possible to let go of the hurt and anger without forgiving the offender.

There are some hurts and traumas that don't merit forgiveness IMO. Abuse is one of them.

Some times there can be no resolution to old hurts. For other times it may suffice if there can be acceptance, resignation, and finally some form of letting go so there can be some sense of peace and closure. If that is possible. It isn't always.

Date: May 27, 2019 03:52PM

for kind parents I wanted to have and not for the ones who died.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 05:02PM

Don,
Be kind to yourself. Dysfunction in families/parents/ whatever can make for complicated feelings especially when death shows up on the door step to claim it's booty

Date: May 27, 2019 05:09PM

Thanks, all. I will not attend his funeral in St. George, Utah. The man never changed. Within the last three years of his life he sold his house and moved twice, just like always. My father was a traveler who burned through people and towns. He died surrounded by family members he paid. Two received houses, and the others got occasional checks from him for being, or pretending to be, Mormons. The man was that shallow. All he ever gave me was a hard time. I repudiated his Mormon cosmology and always will. He died surrounded by phonies, and I expect his funeral to be attended by the same. I am free. Thank you, and big love to you, my friends.

Date: May 27, 2019 05:13PM

One of the most insidious doctrines of the church is that you pick your family. That's a load of you know what. You can, however, pick your friends and they can be so much better than family ever was.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 05:29PM

Peace, Don.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: May 27, 2019 05:31PM

I'm glad you're not going to that phony Mormon funeral.

Enough is enough.

Wishing you and your family a positive, uplifting Memorial Day.
(((hugs)))

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 12:34AM

I can't wait until my evil father dies. I hope you can find peace in your heart and can stretch your wings to fly.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 10:23AM

I sincerely hope this helps you Don. Your story has been tough to read but also inspiring as you carved your own way.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 10:27AM

Good riddance - he is finally out of your life!

Date: May 28, 2019 10:35AM

I am reminded of that old country & western song, "I peed on her grave but her boot prints on my heart still puddle when it rains".

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 28, 2019 07:22PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> I am reminded of that old country & western song,
> "I peed on her grave but her boot prints on my
> heart still puddle when it rains".

Hahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahha

OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that one should go into the

Country and Western Hall of Fame

It is perfection... leave it to you mi Vida.

Date: May 28, 2019 08:32PM

Ha ha ha! I love that song.

Date: May 28, 2019 09:11PM

Write me a story about it...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.