Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 06:31AM

I'm currently on episode 2 of Good Omens, so I thought I'd talk about the first episode. Amazon Prime has been pushing this quite heavily. Their output has been a bit uneven in the past IMHO.

Good Omens is a British comedy based on the work of Terry Pratchett (who I tend not to be a fan of) and Neil Gaiman (who curiously was raised Scientologist). It is about an angel and a demon who are trying to run Armageddon and end the world. There are numerous references to the Omen (hence "Good OMENS"), Rosemary's Baby, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Bedazzled, Mrs Doubtfire and so on.

The opening episode starts with a Hitchhiker-esque section on the beginning of the world, and goes onto the Garden of Eden, which is a walled enclosure surrounded by what looks like the Sahara Desert. Adam and Eve are both black (take that, white privilege!) and don't get much dialog, although anyone who has been endowed will immediately be transported back to the temple film during that section.

Anyway, I did find parts of it quite funny and was pleasantly surprised, although there is one sequence with nuns which tries to be funny and falls flat most of the time. I found Episode 2 a little better, and so far I have found it more watchable than American Gods (another Gaiman project if I remember rightly), Vikings or Mrs Maisel. Episode 2 seems to be funnier so far but that is down to scene setting in episode one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 08:14AM

The book is brilliant. I don't do TV, but the cast looks good.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 08:24AM

I tried to watch it, but was totally bored.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 12:09PM

Aquarius123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tried to watch it, but was totally bored.

I've watched episode 2, which I found a bit uneven. There were some very funny bits in it, alongside some less jmpressive ones. It seems to work best when the two main characters are on screen.

I noticed Amazon's own series tend to have bad first episodes. I really never got into American Gods although aome people love it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.