Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 11:37AM

I was at the Utah gay pride festival in Salt Lake City yesterday. I was very surprised to see Ancestry.com marching in the parade. There were several dozen people marching, all wearing matching, custom pride t-shirts. And they were handing out stickers of their corporate logo done in the gay pride rainbow. I thought Ancestry.com was a Mormon-owned, church affiliated company in Utah Valley with close ties to the LDS Family Search website.

I'm grateful to see them supporting the gay community, but I can't help but be a bit suspicious of their motives. Does anyone know what's going on with them? Have they changed ownership?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 11:43AM

I don't believe they are church owned (correct me if I'm wrong) but they take a lot of their product from the church who make unpaid volunteers transcribe it.

As for a company chasing the pink dollar, that's just what they do now. Pride marches are basically advertizing for various big businesses. I gather some LGBT activists are not happy that big business has hijacked pride marches, but if you want to put on expensive events, the money has to come from somewhere.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 11:53AM

Tell us more about this "pink dollar". I assume you to be talking about the rainbow dollar.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 12:14PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tell us more about this "pink dollar". I assume
> you to be talking about the rainbow dollar.

These are both expressions for the same thing. I've seen both used.

LGBT is big business now. Not even just for them but for people who feel strongly about supporting their cause.

I suppose it is similar to the way Guinness has hijacked Irish celebrstions, Coke Christmas and so on.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 11:51AM

From their website:
https://www.ancestry.com/corporate/about-ancestry/company-facts

Ancestry, the global leader in family history and consumer genomics, harnesses the information found in family trees, historical records, and DNA to help people gain a new level of understanding about their lives.

Ancestry is a private company with multiple strategic equity investors including Silver Lake and GIC along with Permira funds, Spectrum Equity, and Ancestry management.

In 2017, Ancestry generated more than $1 billion in revenue, an annual increase of more than 30 percent

Ancestry has more than 3 million paying subscribers across all its family history websites.

Launched in May 2012, AncestryDNA has more than 15 million people in its consumer DNA network, making it the largest in the world.

AncestryDNA is available in more than 30 international markets.
Ancestry has localized websites in nine countries providing access to its archive of online family history records to the United States, Canada, Germany, France, Italy, Sweden, Australia, Mexico, and the UK.

The Ancestry brand family encompasses Ancestry, AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Archives, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find A Grave, and more.

The company’s management team, led by CEO Margo Georgiadis, is comprised of seasoned executives with prior experience at companies like Amazon, Intuit, Martha Stewart Living, Johnson & Johnson, eBay, and Box.

3 million paying subscribers

30+ international markets

15+ million people DNA-tested

$1 billion revenue in 2017

From Bloomberg(dot)com
https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/ACOM:US?in_source=PersonProfile

Ancestry.com Inc. provides genealogy research services. The Company operates a network of genealogical and historical record websites. Ancestry.com serves customers globally.

SECTOR: Communications
INDUSTRY: Media
SUB-INDUSTRY: Internet Media
FOUNDED: 09/27/2007
ADDRESS: 1300 West Traverse Parkway Lehi, UT 84043 United States
PHONE: 1-801-705-7000
NO. OF EMPLOYEES --

Executives
NAME/TITLE

Margaret Mary H Georgiadis "Margo" / Chief Executive Officer
Howard Hochhauser / CFO/COO
Evan Wittenberg / Chief People Officer
Joshua Hanna / Exec VP/General Manager
Sriram Thiagarajan / Sr VP/CIO
Jeffery Weber / Senior VP:People & Places
Niraj Nagrani / Senior VP:Platform
David Sanchez / Vice President:DNA Product
Leila Pourhashemi / VP:Business Operations
William C Stern / Secretary/General Counsel
John Marty / Investor Relations

Board Members
NAME/COMPANY

Timothy P Sullivan "Tim" / Ancestry.Com Inc
Victor Elfendahl Parker Jr / Spectrum Equity Investors LP
Brad K Garlinghouse Jr / Ripple Labs Inc
Margaret Mary H Georgiadis "Margo" / Ancestry.Com Inc
Benjamin Carl Spero "Ben" / Spectrum Equity Investors LP
Stephen Davis / Banneker Partners LLC
Stephen Evans / --

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 03, 2019 02:02PM

Ancestry.com has gone over the rainbow ?!

This from their Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/ancestry/status/1002648506459402250?lang=en

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.