Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 12, 2019 09:01PM

back to my scant psych & socio education & life experience;

Depression is very common today, whether / not it's more common to Mormons / Utah is interesting, but I've never seen reliable data.

From my understanding, there are two types of depression:

'situational' as in death, divorce, other
and

a deep-seated chemical situation / imbalance.

Does anyone care to comment on this hypothesis?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2019 09:33PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 12, 2019 09:10PM

I would like to hypothesize that 'elation' can exist as a result of a chemical 'situation'.

And I'm glad to be a victim!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 04:06AM

If you live in the past, you get depression. If you live in the future, you get anxiety. If you live in the church, you get both.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 05:35AM

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 05:10AM

All forms of depression have a chemical cause. However as you rightly say there are different triggers (I hate that word these days!) for the depression.

In Utah, aside from religion, there is an issue with high elevation, and depression is apparently nore common along the Rocky Mountain areas.

If you look at most American towns and cities, they are very depressing as well. There is little or no beauty or art about many of the buildings. They are so bland and dingy. Streets and streets of trashy buildings, junk food outlets, supermarkets that look as if they've already been through the zombie apocalypse, massive freeways with more smog than beauty... I see these places and it is no wonder that people who live in and around them are depressed. I moved somewhere a bit prettier. There are old buildings here and they lift my spirits. We have a few of those hideous buildings as well, but they aren't the only thing here.

Utah has some beautiful landscapes but some of its architects deserve to be banned from practising. (For any literalists, that was a tongue in cheek comment.)

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 05:12AM

I would say situational triggers are the cause of Depression. Chemical imbalances are caused by situational triggers. But it's easier to treat chemicals than the mind. so doctors focus on what's easiest.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 05:31AM

macaRomney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would say situational triggers are the cause of
> Depression. Chemical imbalances are caused by
> situational triggers. But it's easier to treat
> chemicals than the mind. so doctors focus on
> what's easiest.

Exactly! Many people get depression, and in many of the cases I know personally, there has been trouble at work, divorces/separations, bereavements and so on.

I think with some of these that therapy will work, and with grieving you need to experience it for a while to process your loss. But if you lose your job for whatever reason, unfortunately depression will make it harder for you to get back into work, and shrinks prefer to take money than to help their clients make any.

Posted by: Anon 3 ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 10:38AM

I think some depressions are exercise related. We use cars, electronics and internet which are sit down do nothing no endorphin related activities.

We also have TV which gives us false ideas about what life is and is supposed to be; some sort of fantasy world. What the eye sees and all that.

Of course there are chemical and experience depressions; war experiences were incredible in WW1, not only the experience but also the chemical warfare.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.