Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 06:56PM

I mentioned elsewhere an instance of LDS I knew getting married after three months. I think they were engaged after a week.

Seems to be very common in YSA. I'm sure some of them have happy marriages, but as the proverb goes "marry in haste, repent at leisure".

These people think eighteen is old enough and thirty is too late.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 07:04PM

I prefer speed skating wedding. Mormon men and women speed skating in opposite directions. The first crash you have with a skater of the opposite sex is the person you have to marry.

If you don't exit the ice fast enough and crash into someone else, it goes plural.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 14, 2019 07:43AM

Suppose if the partners get concussions and/or amnesia before they say their "I do's," then the annullments should be easy enough to enforce. Otherwise, it's the 'crash course' in marriage 101.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2019 10:11AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 08:03PM

It's very common in TSCC. Especially among returning missionaries at BYU. Heck, that's what most of them go there for is to get hitched.

If they don't right out of their mission, there must be something amiss.

My oldest bro came home from his mission, went to BYU Ricks at first. Was engaged 2-3 times. Either he or the girl would break it off. Then he transferred to BYU Provo where he was engaged another two times before he met his future wife. They dated only for two weeks when they became engaged. Were married within 2-3 months, no later.

She got prego on their honeymoon. He dropped out of college to support her and the new family on the way. He didn't return to college until after baby three had come along and they were financially strapped so much it was either sink or swim.

He told me at the time he went back as he couldn't have his little sister showing him up. I was the first sibling to have my college degree, and the only girl in my family. It is sort of funny, but my brother could well have meant it. We were pretty competitive as kids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2019 08:04PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 08:55PM

Roy, get out of the way and let nature take its course!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 14, 2019 10:41AM

What could be more natural than speed skating your way into a blissful marriage, ordained of god, lasting throughout all time and eternity.......until you think your way out of what got you there in the first place and start hanging out on RFM, spending untold hours following the very thing which you despise.

Worked for me!

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: June 13, 2019 10:49PM

I could have gotten married in less than three months if I wanted to marry the guy I briefly dated at BYU whose ambition was to be a seminary teacher and have lots of children. He was so uber TBM he didn't think it was appropriate to kiss until we were engaged. No thank you.

After I rejected him he quickly moved onto the next coed who had to hide every time she saw him coming. He would stalk his victims, waiting outside the classroom.

I lost track of him until I ran into him about three years later. He was still single, still trying to find someone who would say "yes." He was a nice looking, intelligent RM guy but managed to turn off most TBM women. Raising 8 children on a seminary teacher's salary just isn't very appealing.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 14, 2019 12:34AM

It's like that episode of "Taxi" where the male character goes up to a perfect stranger and asks her to marry him and she accepts.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: June 14, 2019 08:28AM

I attended school with a guy that I felt wasn't quite right. He and his wife had two kids when she was killed in an accident. He was married a month and a half later.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.