Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 09:35AM

I was talking to my Mom yesterday and telling her about some people in my life and said the word Mormon a couple times. She reminded me that “we don’t say Mormon, we say we belong to TCOJCOLDS, blah blah blah.” I told her that didn’t apply to me because I was Mormon when I was in and everybody in my world (in the Southeast) knows it as mormon. Surprisingly she seemed ok with that and said, “yeah, I see what you’re saying.

But it made me think, what do you call members of TSCC these days? In conversation. Where you would say Mormons do you know say LDSers? Or COJCOLDSers? And where you would say Mormonism in reference to the collective theology, do you now say LDSism? Is there a revealed protocol on this? Inquiring minds want to know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ShockedNotSurprised ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 09:40AM

I'd go ahead and call'em Mormons or Ex-Mormons and tell them if that shook their testimony, that they are free to call their therapist.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 09:42AM

I said "Mormon" to a TBM friend and she corrected me with the longer version. I said, "Yeah, yeah, they say that all the time to call it that." She said, "Yeah, well they really mean it this time." LOL

I don't think it will stick.

I like your answer about it not applying to me. I could essentially call them whatever I like.

But to keep the peace, I'll do "LDS" with her, but I am NOT saying the long version. That's just ridiculous and people will get tired of it soon enough.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 09:52AM

I just call them Mormons. Nelson doesn't dictate to me what I should call them.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 09:56AM

Considering all the factions that broke off after JS and what they called themselves, I think Brighamites sounds good.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 10:09AM

Which is worse, masturbation or saying mormon?

If you say mormon while bearing your testimony, will the bishop turn off the mic?

Would you be sent home from toilet duty if you wore your old 'And I'm A Motmon' t-shirt?

If you opined on Facebook that Rusty Nelson was the worst mormon profit in your life time, would you face a court of enduring love if you refused to recant?

I gotz ta know!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 10:27AM

When I have said that people are going to continue to use the word “Mormon” until Mormons come up with a simple, short replacement word, even Mormons agree with me.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 10:30AM

Oh, the irony...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2019 10:31AM by anybody.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 10:45AM

I still call them a$$h0les

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 10:54AM

Doesn't seem to be a problem in Utah. Just call them members of "The Church"

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 11:09AM

The other divisions of mormonism I believe still use mormon.

I call them Brighamites.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 11:54AM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 12:02PM

If you call them cultists, they will gladly agree to be called Mormons. Calling the church a cult really sets them off.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 12:08PM

Everyone is the same now! It no longer matters. Whether you are a loyal TBM or a rabid apostate, we are all finally...

EX-MORMONS

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 12:09PM

Posted by: blueskyutah2 ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 12:19PM

Makes one think twice about proper pronouns (aka hate speech)? Personally, I would just call any person by their first name and leave their religion or gender out of the conversation. You gotta be careful these days, depending on where you are speaking.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 12:23PM

Call them by their name.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 12:35PM

Formons.

The real first name was The Church of Christ, which JS & Co. used for 4 years, and then The Church of the Latter Day Saints for another 4 years.

That's all pretty amusing to me; you'd think that God would be pretty specific about what to call His One True and Restored Church on Earth and not wait 8 years to send some revelatin' to JS and tell him what to paint on the shingle outside the meeting house.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 01:09PM

+∞

Formons wins.

Thanks for the history lesson too. It's amazing how slow the Mormon god is:

8 years to figure out the name of the church
50 years to figure out that polygamy wasn't working
150 years to figure out that blacks have just as much right to hold the priesthood as whites, Latinos, Asians, etc...
He still hasn't figured out what to do with the LGBTQ+ community.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 02:16PM

I am amazed no one but me knows what to call TCOJCOLDS.

Call it what we've always called it.

Call it The Church.

Like, there's only one.

I have a book somewhere published in the early 20th Century.

Opposite the title page it says "Published by The Church."

Of course. No need to specify which one. There only IS one.

And of course, people would ask "Are you a member of The Church."

If they answered, "Actually I'm Episcopalian" then you knew they were NOT a member of The Church and they didn't have The Truth.

So tell people you are a former member of The Church.

Like you once WERE a member of The Church, and you HAD The Truth but now you don't.

Not to worry. Some truths are not all that useful.

Lois

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 03:07PM

Exmo's.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 03:34PM

Original Recipe Mormons
Classic Mormons
Pre-Nelson Mormons

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 04:45PM

Well how do they refer to their own theology if they don’t call it Mormonism? Maybe THE gospel. Because they don’t know every religion uses that? And why are other people expected to use cumbersome language? I can’t say “my mormon co-worker,” I’m supposed to say “the guy I work with who is a member of the church of cheese n rice of latte-a-day saints.” And if i don’t I’m accused of purposely being offensive? It’s just amazing that Russ says “this is how we do it now, this totally stupid way” and all the sheeple just go “baaaa baaaa.” No one says. “Hey that’s just stupid, the geezer will he dead soon, next geezer will walk it back, so I’m gonna take a shortcut and say it the smart way in the meantime.”

Date: June 16, 2019 05:56PM

Lamb chops?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 05:24PM

It is high time that the media stop referring to the British sovereign as "the queen." Henceforth all references to her should use her formal title:

"Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith."

A bit long, maybe, but really the only respectful formulation.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 06:52PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is high time that the media stop referring to
> the British sovereign as "the queen." Henceforth
> all references to her should use her formal
> title:
>
> "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the
> United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern
> Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories
> Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the
> Faith."
>
> A bit long, maybe, but really the only respectful
> formulation.

This isn't even the full title! ;D

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 06:15PM

Throw them off guard by discussing it with them:

Them: We don't want to be called Mormon now.

Me: Wait, did your church change the name of your holy book?

Them: No, er, but we want our name to reflect Jesus Christ.

Me: So the Book of Mormon isn't a testament of Jesus Christ any more?

Them: (Flustered) We want everyone to know we are like other Christians and teach about Jesus.

Me: Oh. OK. I thought maybe it was because there is a lot of information about Mormons that comes up when people Google the word Mormon.

Them: That's anti-Mormon material.

Me: Oh, so it's not anti-Church of Jesus Christ of LDS now?

Them: We just want to clarify not to use "Mormon" and besides our prophet said so.

Me: Wait, what am I supposed to call you? Is there an abbreviation or nickname for that for regular conversation?

Them: Have a nice day.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 08:24PM

LDS is out like Mormon is out.

Neither is acceptable.

Which is utterly ridiculous given that's what we've called it since Day One. A rose by any other name is still a rose. And so is a stink bug by any other name still a ....

I still refer to it as Mormon or LDS, but then I'm no longer in it. So I have taken liberty to call it whatever I like. TSCC has no more authority over me. Pity the people who jump when it says.

Date: June 16, 2019 09:48PM

Russell M Nelson now requires you to cut down a tree with a herring.

Posted by: normdeplume ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 10:32PM

The term "Mormonites" had currency back in the day.

If the faithful are forbidden to call the cult "Mormon", why not use a word like the above or maybe "Mortermites".

Rusty proposed calling Oreos "Chocolate Cookies with White Stuff in Between Them".

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 11:06PM

When mormons mormon, they are mormoning; thus they are mormoners.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: June 16, 2019 11:24PM

when I do everyone knows what and who I'm talking about. Effective communication is the point. The whole point of Nelson's campaign is to make it difficult to communicate effectively about the organization that he presides over. If one accepts Nelson's commands, all of the following topics become difficult to talk about:

(1) Mormon history
(2) Mormon doctrine
(3) Mormon leaders

...and many others...

It's not impossible to talk about them. But when talking to other people (Mormon or non-Mormon) who already have a basic knowledge of the existence of Mormons as a religious organization and community, using the word "Mormon" is like using the Internet with a broadband connection and using the cumbersome "member/history/doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" phraseology is like trying to use the Internet with an old dial-up telephone line.

If you have to stop and use that ridiculously long string of words every time you want to mention something about Mormons or Mormonism... or moving further into a conversation...you have to stop and get confused wondering what type of shorthand or abbreviation is "okay", you've already slipped into the muck and are being distracted by nonsense that becomes an obstacle to thinking and communicating.

I ran into some missionaries a couple of months ago and we had a conversation. I used the word Mormon once and they reflexively corrected me with the whole spiel. I just told them I'm not going to use 8 or 9 words when 1 word communicates the same thing. They just shrugged and admitted that it was awkward to avoid using the word Mormon.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 11:50AM

It is not about calling them THEIR NAME. I call my daughter by her name, but if I have a discussion with her about "the church" I often say "mormon." She never stops me and neither does anyone else. I don't have to live by Rusty's rules.\

I love formons and exmos as what to call them, too. Hilarious.

Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 08:27AM

I call them mormons.

the name hullabaloo is going to go away. I am not going to change what I call them. I was just last week they were proud to be mormon. When RMN kicks the bucket, they'll be mormon again.

Its the more memorable label.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 01:45AM

Wowza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I call them mormons.

> It's the more memorable label.

MUCH more memorable to the general public than what his face, the current promoter of difficult current policy on the matter, is going to prove to be.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 11:45AM

Wait, Christ never mentioned Mormonism, Temple ordinances, etc.

He was not fond of the Pharisees and Sadducees, those who were meticulous about following rules for the sake of following the rules without regard for concepts like "love your neighbor". Seems to me those are the groups where Nelson would fit in, by being so concerned about the name of the religion.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 12:00PM

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 10:23AM

Exmormon is fine for me, but I'd rather we all be defined by the things we are rather than what we are not.

The universe of things I am not is very large after all.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 09:37PM

To those outside TSCC, members of TCOJCOLDS are still simply known as 'the Mormons.' Whether they are ex-Mormons, never Mos, or whatever, Mormons are going to Mormon.

It is pure Orwellian to try and use Double Speak to mean and say the same thing in more, not less, syllables. And that is who's running the show: Moism's take on 'Big Brother.'

It can try and rewrite its history. But I will always be a former Mormon. It doesn't get to negate my past, or my family's past, or our shared history. *Or* the history of the MORMON cult aka church.

That that, Mormon Orwellian debunkers in snakeskin suits!

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 11:36PM

Free at last, great God almighty we are free at last.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 12:05AM

MORmONS !!!!

Posted by: Al Shiffler ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 12:36AM

FoMo (Former Mormon). Or should it be MoFo (Mother******)??

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 03:24AM

LOL!

Seriously, I would like to know this, as I like to be PC at the office. I usually don't mention religion at all. I've heard people refer it to "That religion in Salt Lake City," and everyone seems to know that they mean.

A very proper saleswoman at an upscale boutique was helping me, and narrowing down what I was looking for, and she asked me, "Do you have any clothing restrictions?"

I went on a spiel of how clothes seem to always be too tight on top and too loose at the bottom, and that curvy styles don't work well for me, and I don't like polyester..., and she said, "No, I mean, are you restricted in wearing sleeveless tops, or see-through, and do you have to wear a skirt--you know--like that...."

She was from New York, and was trying to figure out how to help women buy clothes, without asking them if they're Mormon or "Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day-Saints". She wasn't even sure what to call it.

I told her she was doing a great job with the "clothing restrictions" question.

If you MUST ask a person about their religion, play the "restrictions" card. Socially, ask, "Do you have any drinking restrictions? At work, "Do you have any restrictions about working on Sundays?" "Do you have any dating restrictions?" I'm going to enjoy doing this!

Whatever Nelson and his Mormons come up with--I refuse to use the full name! Never did I receive any tithing settlement letter, or money receipt, or note, or Christmas greeting, or any other letter or e-mail from that Cult, that had my name on it! Think about it, have you ever? Never addressed to Ms. Exminion Jones. Never, "Dear Sister Jones." Always, "Dear Member", or a copied sheet with no greeting at all, or a mass e-mail with no greeting or name.

(Just before I resigned, I did receive a belated birthday card, along with a paper plate of cookies, from the RS Presidency, of the ward I had attended for 20 years, that read, "Happy Birthday, Jane, we love you!" My name is NOT Jane, or anything close.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.