Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 02:32PM

Interesting story of how photographers are now using the Oakland temple grounds as props for 15 year old's celebrations. I guess the church has no qualms unless they start consuming Coronas on their property.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06/17/for-catholic-quinceaneras-oaklands-mormon-temple-is-place-to-be/?preview_id=6127666

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 03:01PM

Quinceaneras are an important, joyous, life cycle event in Hispanic families: when girls leave childhood behind, and now take their "adult" place as, socially, "young women."

Although I understand the visual drama of having the Oakland temple as a photo background, I am bemused at the disconnect between what the temple represents, and what the new "young woman," and her family and community, are celebrating.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 03:24PM

LDS temples are so GAWDY that I have always found them unappealing. I live near the Logan temple and hate it so much. It is ugly. It looks like two glowing "boobs" at night. Of course, surgically altered...

HH =)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 04:00PM

are much more unique than the new temples. My nonmember boyfriend likes it, but I remind him I got married there and I know what goes on in there. I also know it isn't pretty on the inside.

Date: June 19, 2019 01:05AM

Happy_Heretic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LDS temples are so GAWDY that I have always found
> them unappealing. I live near the Logan temple
> and hate it so much. It is ugly. It looks like two
> glowing "boobs" at night. Of course, surgically
> altered...
>
>
> HH =)

I had to check that out.
Now I have to repent. :D

Date: June 18, 2019 03:25PM

I went to the Oakland Temple for dead dunkings. We were closely monitored from the parking lot to the member entrance. We were never allowed to go near the fountains, the bridges crossing the streams or even the upper part of the temple which features a Bay Area vista. Nope, it was all business.

The rationale for such an orderly appearance was to be spiritually focused on the task that was on hand. We were not to appear touristy so we never enjoyed an grandeur (if such exists).

Btw, the white building that lines the stream/grounds had classrooms inside. That's were we as youths were "corralled" until the chaperones went inside to pantomime the slashing of their throats during a session. I will never forget being forced to have a testimony meeting while we waited for the adults to finish.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 03:53PM

Lure Joseph Smith out of his grave?

¡Cuidado!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2019 03:57PM by lurking in.

Posted by: HWint ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 04:56PM

messygoop Wrote:
I guess the church has no
> qualms unless they start consuming Coronas on
> their property.

umm, why should they have qualms? Temple grounds are generally open to the public. as long as people are well-behaved, don't make a mess, etc, all are welcome. it's good PR and community relations. looks like a really pretty grounds.

from the article:
>It’s not just quinceañeras, said Tawn Gorbutt, a security officer at the temple. He patrols the temple’s grounds and said he sees people of all faiths and inclinations enjoying the space, from Ethiopian Coptic weddings, an orthodox Christian faith, to Tongan celebrants, first communions to birthday parties, graduates in caps and gowns to teens getting ready for prom.

>“As members of the church, we love that,” said Janelle Wyatt, a spokeswoman for the temple.

some ex-mos are just walking around with chips on their shoulder looking for things to complain about.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 05:06PM

HWint Wrote:
> some ex-mos are just walking around with chips on
> their shoulder looking for things to complain
> about.

No one is "complaining."

This is a real life example of "the emperor's new clothes."

Cross-cultural disconnects....and in this instance, the disconnects are wryly humorous, and/or interesting.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 05:33PM

I'm just here to magnify my calling.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 07:05PM

I don't want to see your calling under magnification. But thanks anyway :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 18, 2019 08:20PM

You Mormon boys! So different from Saturday night to Sunday morning!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 12:52AM

Well, that raises a lot of questions, Shirley.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 12:33AM

HWint Wrote:
> messygoop Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> I guess the church has no
> > qualms unless they start consuming Coronas on
> > their property.
>
> umm, why should (would) they (LD$ inc) have qualms?

ummmmmmmm.....

It's the old MOReMONey thing!!!

LD$ inc finally figured out that they were NOT making enough money off of the arrangement to suit them !!!!!
(DUUUUHHHHHH!!!!!!!)

and in finest MOReMONey fashion, LD$ Inc ALWAYS ends up figuring out that they were not getting enough money to keep them happy !!!!

Date: June 19, 2019 01:03AM

We know that wanted trespasser NNN (by the church for sneaking inside their temples~ and most of us believe that he went too far) was officially busted on the grounds of a temple.

I had my own encounters as an active member with sheriff officers for sitting under a shade tree in the parking lot of my stake center when eating during my lunch hour.

I predict that the church will start charging a fee (they can really sniff out a way to generate revenue) for people to take photos. Temple marriages will obviously get a free press pass. If you think about it, the church is facing a potential lawsuit when a young girl falls off her high heels and sues the church for a cool million. This is lawsuit-happy California where everybody is hurt and offended over something.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 19, 2019 10:50AM

The article states:"Quinceanera is a Latin American Catholic tradition celebrated for girls on or near their 15th birthday." In this case, near means UNDER 15. It's a celebration for teenage girls to celebrate becoming a woman. Under 15 years, or 15 years of age, the girl is now considered to be a "woman". And the photos are taken with the temple in the background. IMO, it's the same as the parents pretty much saying: "Here ya go, guys! My question is: why bother getting upset with JS going after young teenage girls then? Some of them were 14, 15, 16. In the article, it says church members are happy about all kinds of groups taking photos on the temple grounds. But of course! What better way for TSCC to advertise themselves?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.