Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 04:42PM

...gleeful with Book of Mormon DNA results of the Amerinds showing absolutely NO Hebraic blood markers???

Q. So which DNA testing do we consider to be legit, precise & the "good" kind?

A. Of course ONLY the "kind" that doesn't undermine our non-sensical belief in the BOM!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 07:10PM

Oh, you'll see, just you wait!!!

When we find the correct remnant of the Lamanite nation, they will test out genetically to be of the House of Israel!! And we will probably learn how it was that they kept themselves from mingling with all those Asiatics who came over to the Americas when Bering Straits Tours Corporation was inveigling so many people to take a walk on the wild side.

Nephi and the gang never noticed all those people because ghawd had reserved a place for them that was uninhabited and had a high wall around it.

I believe you'll eventually have to admit that ghawd is one tricky sumbich...

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 08:46PM

Elohim has to be careful when revealing specifics to the Profit, because facts and circumstances have a pesky way of surfacing later to contradict their specificity.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 07:26PM

I've always said that about God.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 07:47PM

BeenThereDunnThatExMo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...gleeful with Book of Mormon DNA results of the
> Amerinds showing absolutely NO Hebraic blood
> markers???

Fortuitously today, I have been working with a book (copyright 1990, Indiana University Press), which I have had for a long time (I don't remember how I got this book, but it has long been a part of my book collection): THE SAVAGE IN JUDAISM: An Anthropology of Israelite Religion and Ancient Judaism, by Howard Eilberg-Schwartz.

Although I was looking for references to an entirely different subject [animal sacrifice], here is what I found:

[p.37] "...Sifting through the [European] writings on Judaism and heathenism during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, one finds striking similarities between the European conceptions of the Jew and the savage. ["savage" means, for these quoted words: Native Americans.]

"As a Christian anti-type, both were pictured as less than fully human, falling somewhere in the great chain of being between human and ape. The savage and the Jew presented similar problems to Christians. In what ways could these people be rescued from their idolatrous practices and converted to the truth faith? Not surprisingly, European writers relied on the same vocabulary and images to describe the religious practices of their Jewish contemporaries and the savages discovered in the New World....Judaism and savage religions both lacked any redeeming moral qualities.

"For these reasons, Europeans used similar language to describe Jewish and savage religious practices.

"The fact that Jews and savages were similarly stereotyped in the European imagination helped nourish the theory that the American Indians were originally of Jewish stock. Diego Duran, for example, concludes that the Indians must be descended from the Jews because of the similarities in their 'way of life, ceremonies, rites, and superstitions, omens, and hypocrisies.' Duran also writes that 'that which most forces me to believe that these Indians are of Hebrew lineage is the strange pertinacity they have in not casting away their idolatries and superstitions, living by them as did their ancestors, as David said in the 105th Psalm.'

"In a similar argument for their common ancestry, Garcia notes that both peoples were timid, liars, and prone to ceremony and idolatry."

With this [new to me] information, it is not surprising that, more than three centuries later, Joseph Smith made the "same" connection between Native Americans and Jews. This particular "fact" had been an established part of European academic thought since at least the 1500s.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 08:13PM

And that thinking sadly enjoys a resurgence today.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 08:15PM

Verrrrry interesting...thanks Tevai!

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: normdeplume ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 11:38PM

Tevai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Diego Duran, for > example, concludes that the Indians must be
> descended from the Jews because of the > similarities in their way of life, ceremonies, > rites, and superstitions, omens, and hypocrisies.'

Your idea that old-world Jews came over and populated the jungles of Central America causes only laughter, Diego Duran.

The similarities amount to zero.

Evidence shows the lot of them to have descended from north Mongolian tribes.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 12:02AM

I just Googled Diego Duran, and I learned some relevant information.

He was born in 1537 (in Spain), and he died in 1588 (in Mexico).

He was a Dominican, who wrote one of the first books on the history and culture of the Aztecs: THE HISTORY OF THE INDIES OF NEW SPAIN.

Beyond his highly successful book, though, what is of special importance is the fact that the Inquisition began November 1, 1478, in Spain.

What this means is: He spent his entire lifetime, from his first breath to the moment he died--including all of his career as a Catholic cleric--under the overwhelming influence of the Inquisition, whose entire purpose was to ferret out the "hidden Jews" (those Jews who had been forcibly converted to Catholicism) who still lived (in Duran's personal case) in Spain and in Spain's colonial outposts, and kill them (often after prolonged torture, and often in horrible ways).

[Many anusim--"hidden Jews"/those who were forced to convert to Christianity--had immigrated to the New World, hoping that life in the New World would be at least a little bit safer than was true in the Iberian Peninsula. Some of them, such as those who went to what is now northern New Mexico, fared pretty well. Others did not.]

Diego Duran was wrong, but at that time, so were a large number of Europeans, and European (particularly Iberian) colonists to the New World.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2019 12:04AM by Tevai.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 12:07AM

In Mormonism, facts are malleable. All you have to do is twist them until they fit. Their mantra should be “My mind is made up, don’t confuse me with the facts.”

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.