Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 06:09PM

At 103 she could probably outrun Nelson.

"She says eating right and not drinking or smoking has helped her longevity."
https://www.bendbulletin.com/sports/7244057-151/at-103-hurricane-hawkins-shines-at-us-senior

But the Mormons I know (and the ones I love as well) never seem to think that they are eating wrong.

I don't know what "Hurricane" thinks is eating right. I would love to know if it has kept her going so long but I'm fairly sure most Mormons I know are eating wrong but think they are following their scriptural wisdom words.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 20, 2019 07:20PM

This is why mormons so love the word "miracle."

Date: June 21, 2019 11:32AM

It is a miracle that their prohibitions of alcohol and caffeine only following of their health code produces health.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 10:35AM

I've been typing up elderly patients who they are testing for dementia. I think I have dementia. I'm worse off than most of them with memory, etc. I even left my keys in my car with the radio on all day the other day and completely forgot. I was just washing the windows earlier in the day. I found out when I went to run to town and my battery was dead. I NEVER DO THOSE THINGS except burn everything I put on the stove to cook or in the oven about once a day. They need to unplug the range. I'm only almost 62. (They say it is stress.)

But I typed up this 88-year-old lady yesterday who plays golf several days a week, dances a few other days a week. She might forget to turn off the stove once in a while. Her husband says she drives too fast, but that that is nothing new.

I'm like, "HUH!!!???"

Mormons don't have time to exercise (most). They have 6 kids and all these callings and only one parent working (speaking of neighbors). Then they have to garden and can. Do so many other things like minister (is it Secular Priest's post--there goes my memory). They have to hold a meeting with their kids on Sunday AND MONDAY.

They can't afford to eat the way they should and the stress level through the roof. I have no room to talk. I can run a few steps (but then I'll stop so people won't see me running). I can walk and not faint, but not run. I'm overweight and not in good health.

It seems all they focus on is drinking and smoking. When my mother-in-law found out my husband had left us, she called to talk (kept me on the phone 8-1/2 hours and I never answered her calls again). First thing she asked was, "Does he drink and smoke?" I said, "No." And she said, "Oh good." HUH?????

Date: June 21, 2019 11:30AM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They can't afford to eat the way they should and
> the stress level through the roof.

I totally agree.

I hope you don't have dementia. My father has regressed to a 10 year old.

In modern society Mormonism encourages unhealthy lifestyles while promoting themselves as a health conscious religious belief.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 12:52PM

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)31788-4/fulltext

From the article:
Unhealthy diets pose a greater risk to morbidity and mortality than does unsafe sex, and alcohol, drug, and tobacco use combined.

Yet Utah has made the national news because of a legal battle between two competing high-sugar large servings soft drink chains over naming rights to "dirty" sodas, which are sodas with cream added. Both chains are doing very well in Utah.

Date: June 21, 2019 01:36PM

I can't confirm this information but I've read somewhere that the two most potentially deadly things in the U.S. are bad diets and hospitals.

Apparently, if you are of a conspiracy bent, the medical businesses and the food business don't want you to know how bad what they provide for you is.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 01:47PM

Anyone complaining about the health effects of the sex industry?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 04:04PM

having typed medical records for 33 years or so. My doctor was talking to me about her attitude towards the medical community, too. She hates it.

If she puts her medical records on line they have to be with one of two companies and then that company OWNS her records and if she wants to change to a different company, she has to pay to move them and it ain't cheap. She works in the ER or instacare a few days a week and she says that doctors are very unhappy.

I hear so many stories let alone what I type. I'm so glad I found a good doctor THIS TIME.

I'm sure my diet is what will get me in the end, too.

I don't think I have dementia, Elder Berry, but boy, sometimes I wonder especially when I've been typing these older people (a 100 year old today) and the questions they ask them like did you forget to turn off the burner. I just did again. I could smell something and I thought, "What is that smell?" I cook chicken for my dogs and I keep burning it. Usually not bad enough to throw it out, but last time I had to throw it out. BUT my therapist says it is my stress level right now. I think it could be some PTSD. My job loss and earning less money has put me back in those days when I was BROKE. I think I'm just kind of living in a fog. Oh, my therapist calls it what? Oh, full catastrophe living. That's where I am right now. No dementia in my family. I doubt I'll be the first. My SS starts the first of August. All signing up done. I think I'll feel more secure then unless the government takes it away.

As for diets. What mother has the time to make sure they teach their kids how to eat IF they have some little time to spread around and so little money. My mother did a good job. I have to admit. My dad taught us to love treats, ice cream, etc. He was overweight, but he worked harder than any person I've ever met. He was a farmer and a school teacher. He should have been thin considering his activity level, but he was still overweight and had a lot of health problems, but both my parents were 100% lucid on the days they died. No bedside vigils, no inability to communicate. I talked to both of them the nights before they died. So I don't think dementia is in the cards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2019 04:09PM by cl2.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 12:00PM

Take a casual comparative population survey and you will observe - with your own Mach Zero Mod One eyeballs - that "saints" age at an accelerated rate.
Consider "the brethren" - do these even look healthy with their pained forced grins?
A 2002 study found Utah led the nation in antidepressant prescriptions - twice the rate of hedonistic California, three times that of uptight east coast.

In Detective work, These are called Clues.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.