Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 04:15PM

Seems like the prospective recruit being visited didn't much like what the six (why so many?) missionaries said in their discussion:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7168209/Man-46-arrested-held-six-Mormon-missionaries-gun-point-mobile-home-park.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 04:21PM

On the other hand, thy apparently exercised patience, restraint, and sound judgement with an unstable person. I commend them, and am glad that nobody was harmed.

When they enroll at BYU, they'll have their pick of prospective trophy wives.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 04:24PM

Go back in. If Alma the Younger could convert King Lamoni, these guys can convert this golden investigator.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 04:42PM

Drunk and apparently mentally unstable. Sounds like all the golden investigators one of my nephews had on his stateside mission a few years back. They sure know how to pick them.

Glad no one was hurt and all stayed calm, but I have to wonder about their ability to pick potential converts. I would imagine in the states, with the conversion rates so low, anyone looks good so they ignore all the warning signs, and its only when they do something like this that they give them up.

Date: June 21, 2019 05:10PM

This guy was their one shot at getting a conversion.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 05:25PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This guy was their one shot at getting a
> conversion.

Shot? one SHOT?!?!

Depends on what he was packing.

Any idea why there were *six* mishies on this call?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 05:56PM

>> Any idea why there were *six* mishies on this call?

Maybe it was his request. One for each bullet in the revolver?

Or, maybe they knew he was unstable and decided to go as a group for more security?

Or as suggested above, nothing else to do so they all went.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 08:45PM

>Any idea why there were *six* mishies on this call?

According to the DN:

Missionaries for the church normally make such visits in pairs of two, which are called companionships. Woodruff said they visited in a group of six because one of the companionships "had just asked some other missionaries to accompany them."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900076388/6-mormon-church-missionaries-survive-being-held-at-gunpoint-in-utah-police-say.html

It doesn't say why they asked the others to be there.

I agree with caffiend. The missionaries handled this very well.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 05:43PM

Glad that they were not hurt. I just want to know how he got six missionaries to teach him. When I served, if it took more than two then you didn't know your shit. Are they so poorly trained that it takes a half dozen to get through a discussion?

Also, I felt that we (as missionaries) did more than our share of going into people's homes and holding them hostage as we talked for hours about magic plates and Jesus Smith.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2019 05:45PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 05:48PM

I suspect the missionaries didn't have enough to fill their time and were eager to participate in the lesson.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 06:14PM

Maybe it was two trios?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 06:25PM

Potentially a very bad situation that will now be spun into a faith promoting story to be told far and wide.

Date: June 21, 2019 11:32PM

Another victory for magic underwear.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 07:33PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 10:15PM

I have to wonder if the missionaries went in a group because they did not feel safe in this man's home. I'm glad that they were able to get away.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 01:17AM

Maybe it took six missionaries because the other four had nothing else to do.

Date: June 22, 2019 07:20AM

It’s like the day a guy at work found a baby rattlesnake. About a foot long. The fire department sent a tanker truck and about a dozen guys.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 01:27AM

How come I need to read a British website to find out what is happening in Utah ?

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 01:51PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How come I need to read a British website to find
> out what is happening in Utah ?

The rest of the world often ends up getting its news through an American filter. This is what it feels like for them. :)

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 12:16PM

Leaving nailed it;

Once the first 2's appointment went online, the alternatives for the other 4 were Abandoned: tracting, street preaching, finding & visiting 'inactives', finding homeless and/or mental patients, etc;
the 'gator is drunk? No Problem, that's an opportunity right there!!

Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 04:42PM

I only have two stories trying to proselytize drunks.

The first incident happened while riding a colectivo (bus) in Chubut. I had set a goal to ask a certain number of "golden" questions each day. I asked a guy in the seat in front of me if he wanted to know more about the gospel or something similar. The drunk guy turned around and asked me, "Querés una piña?" He wasn't asking if I wanted a pineapple; it's actually slang for to punch you or kick your butt. I decided that day to become more circumspect in my duties.

The second incident was near the end of my time in Mar Del Plata. Some guys invited us into their house for a charla (discussion) and offered us some type of booz, which we declined. Anyway, they got really pissed because we turned them down but we got the hell out of there without incident.

Cuz X

Posted by: sb ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 01:44PM

well sometimes they cant take a hint.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 02:04PM

Six mishies against one drunken armed deranged lunatic in a mobile home?

For one second, can you imagine six young strong missionaries tackling the guy and taking his gun away, rather than having him flailing his gun around each time they peep?

Instead he holds them hostage for one hour in a drunken stupor?

It does kind of boggle the mind, as in who is in charge of the situation there. It isn't like they're thought controlled or anything like that (not.)

Sad that they didn't overcome the moment and realize that there was safety in numbers and they could have overtaken him if they'd have used some common sense and thrown him off his game. The guy was drunk. All they'd had to do was to distract him for a moment. Glad no one was injured. But I bet they were traumatized.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 03:12PM

> "Sad that they didn't overcome the moment and realize that there was safety in numbers and they could have overtaken him"

It's thinking like this that gets people killed. By not rushing him and, instead convincing him to let them leave, no one got shot, no one was harmed. That's a huge win.

Escalating a situation does just that, it escalates it and makes things worse. A sudden rushing movement by any or all of the missionaries could have forced his hand and he could have opened fire.

The best advice is to stay calm, remind the hostage taker of your humanity and not antagonize them. If you can convince them to let you leave, do so.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 03:12PM

wrong place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2019 03:12PM by Finally Free!.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.