Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: HUNTSVILLE AL NATIVE ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 08:55PM

I am a never-mo. I grew up in the 70's at the height of Donny and Marie and the Osmond Family Fame. They always portrayed themselves and Mormons as THE MOST PERFECT AND MORAL HUMAN BEINGS EVER! Imagine my shock when I read her daughter, Brianna, delivered a full-term baby FIVE MONTHS AFTER SHE MARRIED THE FATHER! I actually like this Brianna, though I have never met her, more the rest of the family. She is a mere mortal like the rest of us! I also read where Marie's lesbian daughter just got married. Marie's parents, George and Olive Osmond, were such judgmental, self-righteous, sanctimonious people...I bet they are turning in their graves now. How do Mormons feel about couples who have full-term babies five months after the wedding? I thought pre-marital sex was a no-no?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 09:01PM

Unmarried Mormonsant get pregnant fairly often. Most Mormons aren't pleased but accept it.It is reality.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 09:30PM

The ones that bring out my smile crinkles are the 'premature' babies born 7 and 8 month after the temple marriage, but praise ghawd, weigh between eight and nine pounds. Miracle babies!

How much did Brianna's four-month premature baby weigh?

Posted by: HUNTSVILLE AL NATIVE ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 09:34PM

Marie's granddaughter, Maude Bailey-Moon Schwep, weighed 6 lb 10 oz. I also applaud her daughter, Jes, for busting out of the suffocating Mormon mold!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 09:46PM

Life happens, and IMO Marie has seen enough of life to not get too bent out of shape about this. I'll bet she is over the moon about this precious baby girl. Congratulations to her and her family.

Posted by: Huntsville AL Native ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 09:52PM

Actually the article was very open that the baby was born 10 days after the due date....so the article all but said this baby was conceived prior to marriage. They also said her daughter, Brianna, who delivered that baby was 21 years old and Baby Maude's Daddy, Cinematographer Dave Schwep, was 42 years old!

Posted by: LondonMishey (former) ( )
Date: June 22, 2019 08:27AM

I new George O. very well..having served with him for over a year. Many personal discussions with him about life, and watching him interact. My experience with him was the opposite of your experience. He seemed to be a very kind-hearted, sweet natured, and non-judgemental old man when I knew him. I won't comment on Mrs. O though.

Posted by: Huntsville AL ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 01:17PM

I am glad to here George Osmond was not the complete SOB that I made him out to be. However, my knowledge of the Osmond parents is filtered through media coverage of them. However, the vibe they gave off, and in retrospect, maybe it was more of Mrs. Osmond was that Mormons were better than the rest of us, and we should convert and be like them. I have witnessed this arrogance among many Mormons, which is why I never would convert to that religions. To be fair, I have met hard-working Mormons who make this world a better place. Oh, another very arrogant Mormon is Mitt Romney and his awful wife, Ann. They make me want to vomit.

Posted by: anonymous_61 ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 04:52PM

When I read a story like this, I really hope that Marie's daughter has distanced herself from the church and the old white men who say they are interested in her spiritual well being. I knew some LDS girls in the last 70's and early 80's that became pregnant. It was Bishop's roulette regarding the "repentance process." A girl who was LDS and in my high school but in another ward, became pregnant. She was excommunicated. I say that because one time at the local Institute of Religion the Director asked her about her recent baptism. She gave the baby up for adoption. Other girls who were a few years younger than I but close friends of my younger sister got pregnant and nothing happened to them.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 09:00PM

Marie was at the wedding of her daughter gay daughter, Jes, to her wife. (Forgot her name)

Anyway, Marie is a very supportive mother, regardless if any one of her children have not stayed faithful Mormons.

Kudos to Marie.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 09:35PM

that pretty well is an accurate overview of church discipline/ "courts of love"

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 11:41PM

OK, I'll say it:

Marie appears to be doing a Great Job with her life & family,

I & probably most here would be pleased to see her more strongly endorse alt lifestyles visa vi ChurchCo's ever-changing 'evolving' policies & actions

Posted by: Afraid of the Boogie Brethren ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 12:16AM

I did volunteer work for the Osmond Foundation in the 70s, when they lived at the Riviera. The Foundation didn't have its own office, so we did filing etc., in the office on the 1st floor. Mother O would often come down and visit. She was adorable and loving and concerned that we might not be eating well, freshman and eating dorm food. She brought down a pitcher of "Donny's grape juice" and poured us a glass. Being an Osmond Lover, it was quite the religious experience, drinking Donny's juice! Ha!

Posted by: kingherodcosell ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 01:24AM

My response, ā€œIā€™m sorry, who are the Osmonds?ā€

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.