Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 07:15PM

Before I knew him, my husband was a WWII veteran (an aerial photographer) in a one-engine "paper" plane. As the pilot had to drive round and round over a specific spot needing to be photographed he got 'air sick', and the pilot had to land in order for him to recover his equilibrium (telling my husband "he wasn't going to get sick in HIS plane").

While on the ground, and him standing there with a German pistol--for which he had traded with some guy in exchange for my husband's ration of a carton of cigarettes.

Also, while standing there, two German farmers came rushing over with their pitchforks. When my husband told them (he spoke a little German) why they had landed, everyone had a good laugh, and the farmers helped them turn the plane around so it could take off again.

---

During this period, there was an inspector of GI equipment, whose initials were 'O.K'.

These initials are now wildly used without most people knowing for what they once stood.

Just thought you might be interested. :)

PS: I still have his army uniform, including it's insignias, which also includes part of a partially burned Nazi flag that he took off of a bombed tank. I had to give the pistil to my son who lives in Tenn., as no one in Calif. is allowed to own a firing arm without a special reason (such as police officers).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 07:27PM

I've read a few explanations as to the origin of O.K. None have mentioned the WWII inspector.

Below is the most common explanation I've found in multiple places online.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/origin-of-ok-expression-video_n_6133026

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 07:56PM

I think the first time you told us about your husband, I mentioned that my uncle Ruben was a pilot on one of those flimsy little piper cubs during WWII, in Europe.

He used to take me up in a later version he'd bought a share in. He used to scare the crap out of me landing on little islands in Lake Mead.

As for California not allowing 'firearms' in the hands of its citizens without a special reason, that's never been the case. Unless "cuz I want a gun" satisfies this supposed law. That's a pretty special reason! :נ

Two good friends have CWPs. But they live in San Bernardino County, where it's fairly easy to get one. I'm in Orange County. I have slightly more of a chance of getting one than someone in LA County, where the chance is 'none'. In many of the northern rural counties (there are 58 counties in CA), you get a CWP when you subscribe to the local paper...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 07:56PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 08:33PM

" I had to give the pistil to my son who lives in Tenn., as no one in Calif. is allowed to own a firing arm without a special reason (such as police officers)."

That's blatantly false. I moved to CA from Texas. I brought my weapons, no problem. I also purchased 2 pistols while there. The only restrictions are that there's a 10 day waiting period, and pistols that usually come with a 15 round magazine can only be sold with a 10 round clip. Many of my neighbors and coworkers owned guns. You don't need a "special reason".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 08:41PM by stillanon.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 08:53PM

Carried a gun in California for many years while working as a private investigator

Date: June 24, 2019 09:04PM

Dude!

My original license was 4 digits and started with an 8. What did yours start with?

I didn't really need to carry, since I only worked for insurance companies or their defense counsels.

I'd love to chat with you via email!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 09:05PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 09:06PM

That hotel room must be getting crowded. . .

Date: June 24, 2019 09:27PM

any second now a card game is going to break out!

Posted by: Caffiend was NOT here ( )
Date: June 24, 2019 11:06PM

There are a number of explanations for "O.K.'s" ("Okay") origin, but the most commonly accepted one comes from President Martin Van Buren, whose knickgname was "Old Kinderhook." Coming from the Dutch enclave of Kinderhook, N.Y., his original language was Dutch. According to legend (or maybe genuine history), he indicated approval on memoranda by signing them "O.K.," which became his campaign slogan.

Polly,you're thinking of something else, "Kilroy was here." The story I heard is that a WWII inspector who would graffito locations he had inspected with his name, "Kilroy," to alert other inspectors and avoid duplication of work.

At least, that's the legend. Then there's this:

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/kilroy-was-here.html

Posted by: 2 late 2 log in ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 01:38AM

We discussed this appx 7 weeks ago.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2219908

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 25, 2019 11:07PM

Yes. I recall reading this story a while back. Weird.

Anyway, years ago I heard a language professor say that OK was adapted from an african word "aw-wa-kay" that americans picked from slaves in the late 18th/early 19th centuries.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.