Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 26, 2019 01:04PM

Background of Brother Goop- (Skip to next paragraph for story)

I was requested to share some stories about my Dad, Brother Goop. As a convert, he wasn't afraid to speak up if he disagreed with the typical one-way Mormon thinking. All too often he asked questions that made the church's polished lessons look like shiny turds. Additionally, his comments and concerns drew praise from other critically thinking members of the class. Of course, the gospel doctrine teacher complained to church leaders about this band of rebels that were causing disharmony in his class. They were (at first) encouraged to take their cynicism outside of the classroom. So they sat around and visited in the foyer. Eventually, the stake president had a cow (early correlation years) and they were told to either get into class or leave. So my Dad started to treat himself to buying himself hamburgers and milkshakes on Sundays. He then found a shady spot to watch trains (he liked cars, trains, planes and ships) pass by. Church leaders harped on him for not attending priesthood so he stopped attending church altogether because watching football on TV was more exciting to him. He became active again as I prepared to leave on a mission. When I returned from serving a 2 year mission, they finally booted him out of the EQ and called him as a stake missionary.

So the 1990s were rather weird for the Goops. I was fresh off a two year mission and going to school with a part time job. I was also on that High Council junior speaking circuit. So I was surprised to be called as a ward missionary. However, that church had one more surprise. Both of my parents had been called as stake missionaries as well! Very weird!

So the church was finally realizing that a lot of the new church converts weren't staying around. The thought of fixing that was through better preparedness and fellowshipping. They wanted existing church leaders to prepare their close "non-member" friends to receive the gospel. Stake missionaries were told-charged with the responsibility of sharing this new program with all the church leaders in the wards/branches. Our first assignment was to visit Brother Moodie, the 1st assistant to the High Priest Group Leader.

Brother Moodie was a highly paid tax attorney. He had just moved into a brand new home. It was NICE! So the Goops (I had to go as well because I had to correlate the meeting at the ward level missionary meeting.)

Sister Moodie greeted us at the door. We were not aware that no shoes were permitted to be worn inside their home and that caught my Mom off guard. She was not wearing nylons or socks because it was a hot Sunday evening. I think she was BIG TIME embarrassed because she kept trying to hide her feet by placing one foot on top of the other.

So after a prayer and an opening scripture, my Dad explained the program. This took about 7-10 minutes. My Dad then asked Brother Moodie if he would prayerfully and purposefully be thinking of a person to receive the gospel. I expected the complimentary Yes or Sure.

Brother Moodie looked around and then he told us, "Absolutely Not." He continued, "You all have a lot of nerve coming into my house and demanding me to help out. I'm not a missionary and it's not my calling. Why don't you go and bother someone else."

Now my Dad is not the confrontational type at all. So he very calmly squeezed my Mom's hand and then mine. That was the Goop's social code for leaving. So we all got up and walked back to the front porch where our shoes were located. As my Dad reached for his shoes, he picked them up and banged them together a few times. Some dust flew around in the air.

Brother Moodie was becoming indignant. "Stop that. Are you crazy? You're making a mess on my porch." Even Sister Moodie begged my Dad to stop.

My Dad had the final word. "In Jesus times, those who did not welcome you were told to shake the dust off your feet." With that, we all walked away and left. The experience was so trying for my Dad that he didn't go out again. A few months later he was released and called as 2nd assistant to the HPGL. The same guy that threw him out wanted him as his assistant!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: June 26, 2019 01:11PM

I hope you share with us how and where your parents met.

Your mom sounds like she is a great fit for your dad. Is this true?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 26, 2019 01:27PM

My Mom is still inebriated with the Mormon kool aid. She still doesn't understand Mormon royalty and why she has always been passed over for leadership positions.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: June 26, 2019 01:37PM

Oh yes... if you are coming from the outside ... your children might get a royalty position since they were born into it... while you will be scrubbing toilets!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.