Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: June 28, 2019 12:30PM

Since I was brought up in the heart of mormondom, I followed the prescribed dogma of going on a mission and then getting married soon afterwards and start pumping out children. Hence, I moved out of my Parent's house at the age of almost 22.

At what age did you move out of your Parent's house?
Were you prepared?
At what age would you think a young person should leave home?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2019 02:02PM by sunbeep.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 28, 2019 12:41PM

Very necessary for all parties concerned.

Posted by: honklermaga ( )
Date: June 28, 2019 12:56PM

Didn't go on a mission, had been more or less self-sufficient through high school. Supportive parents who taught me correct principles but didn't micro-manage my eternal progression.

I have friends who still live with their parents and have no intention of moving out any time soon. I just don't understand it. If you're drinking age and still live with your parents, I have some questions about your personal decision making skills.

Not saying there aren't perfectly reasonable scenarios in which someone might stay in the nest, but for me I just prefer to be on my own. If you're capable of graduating high school, you're capable of holding down a job and paying rent.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 28, 2019 01:00PM

6 months after I got home from my mission. My mom died, so I had to go out on my own. Never had a dad, it was just my mom and me.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 28, 2019 01:02PM

I moved back several times. I went to college for 1 semester just out of high school when I was 18. I moved back after one semester and worked 2 jobs. Went back to college. Moved home after 1 semester. I really just wanted to be a secretary and my older sister thought I should go to college. She was always very controlling (still is).

So I stayed home for a few years after I got a job at Thiokol in Promontory, Utah, and my parents lived in Brigham. Eventually, I moved to Logan and stayed there pretty much until I moved home to get away from the situation with having a gay boyfriend. He then decided to get married and I moved back to Logan and got married. I've been on my own pretty much since. I've always worked. Very seldom ever didn't have a job.

My mother liked having me at home. I cleaned for her A LOT. I also took care of the younger kids and paid them allowances (yep) and I paid room and board. Their only child who ever paid room and board.

I was 27 when I got married and left for good. I would have loved to go home when my ex left me, but it wouldn't/couldn't work. My older brother had a brain aneurysm a year before my ex left me and my parents were taking care of him.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 28, 2019 01:08PM

18. I was ready for the world. we met head on. There was no

looking back.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 28, 2019 04:26PM

Lucky world!!

Colliding with you was the best thing ever!!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 29, 2019 11:54AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lucky world!!
>
> Colliding with you was the best thing ever!!

Ditto !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 28, 2019 01:52PM

That's a complex answer.

I first moved out of my parental home at age 14. My father had just died and my mother, overcome with grief, was unable to care for me. My brother and future sister-in-law, who were both in grad school in the Boston area at the time, took me in. I was enrolled in a very fine public high school out in the suburbs. I was mostly treated as an adult at home, with some discussion about reasonable precautions, timelines for being home, etc. I was a sensible teenager, so apart from some occasional angst, there were few problems. After that I went off to college, and came home to my brother's house for a couple more summers. After I graduated from college, I lived with a series of roommates into my 30s.

I landed in NYC and often spent weekends with my mom, who was living on a Connecticut beach at the time. We grew closer. Eventually I moved to Maryland to improve my standard of living, and to be closer to my brother and his family. Eventually we brought my mom down as well. My brother and his wife offered me their home while I began graduate school. Eventually my mom and I got an apartment together while I completed grad school and began my teaching career. We shared expenses, and the arrangement worked nicely for both of us. I subsequently took care of her as she approached the end of her life.

Now I live on my own, and I love it.

So there are not always neat answers to this kind of question.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 28, 2019 02:02PM

What a relief to be out of that nasty situation!

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 28, 2019 04:44PM

18 to go to college, then mission, then a summer at home, then Back to college, then off on my own.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 28, 2019 10:37PM

First time, Ricks for 8 months, and then when I was about 22...into an apartment with 2 other guys. Then back home when I got engaged to my wife. Got married when I was almost 25 and moved into our first home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2019 11:02PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: June 28, 2019 11:40PM

I was 21. I lived at home through my university years, and then moved to a different community when I got my first teaching job. I was probably much less worldly than today’s 21 year olds, and that first year living on my own involved a lot of growing up for me.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 29, 2019 03:19AM

After I graduated college, I spent about a year at my parents' house. Then, I joined the Peace Corps at age 22. When I came back from Armenia, I was 25 and clinically depressed, so I lived with my parents for almost two more years (which was even more depressing-- I felt like a total loser and my dad, who was an alcoholic, fought with me a lot). I moved out for good when I was 27. Antidepressants worked, and I got into grad school. Met my husband and got married after I finished two master's degrees.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2019 03:20AM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: June 29, 2019 04:29AM

My dad started charging me rent soon after I returned from my mission. I was a little resentful at the time, but it was his choice, so I went with it. Over time, the price of that rent increased. Eventually, I figured that I might just as well get my own apartment considering what I was paying anyway. So I got an apartment, started dating, and learned how to be self-sufficient. My dad didn't need my rent money. In retrospect, he did me a favor.

Posted by: uniformbravo ( )
Date: June 29, 2019 12:41PM

Moved out when I was 20.

Super necessary and important for everyone involved. I got a lot of guilt from my dad when I returned to the area a few years later and he expected me to move back in, but I put my foot down and said that no, I’m not going to do that.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 29, 2019 01:01PM

After fighting with my domineering mother for literally all my life, it became apparent during my freshman year at a "near home" college (while living at home) that I was going to kill either mother or myself, a good friend send me application papers to a university that was about 100 miles away from the parental nest.

I applied, was accepted, and the next three years were among the happiest of my life.

I probably married too soon, but again, that was more to get away from home than anything else. I've often wondered how many people get married more to get away from home than anything else. Many of my friends, back in the day, admitted to doing the same thing. They wanted to ESCAPE.

I eventually learned how to stand on my own two feet and take care of myself. Looking back, however, it is easy to see that so many of my early struggles were more about getting AWAY from home than moving TOWARD any life goals. If I had it to do over, I would arrange things differently.

I left home at 22, but first stood on my own at 39. Even then, it was scary. I tried to teach my kids to be better prepared.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 29, 2019 01:39PM

Better question to ask is when did my parents move out of the marital home?

I was 15 when they finally split for the last time (it wasn't the first.) They had a temple marriage, but it wasn't a temple divorce.

Went to live with my dad at 15. Then with my mom for a stint in my junior year. By then my parents were both dating and looking for love with their next marital partners, so their teenage children were an inconvenient truth at the time. Simply put, we were in their way.

I moved out of my mom's at 17 finding myself displaced and homeless on the streets of Ogden Utah during the spring and summer of '76. A well-to-do aunt and uncle during that time sent for me to come and live near them in Silicon Valley to finish high school. As a homeless bumpkin from Idaho shuffled off to a divorced mom in Utah, that seemed like an offer too good to be true. I took them up on it. And spent the next two years living there. Where I finished high school, and then worked for a year post high school.

Then I moved back to my dad's in Idaho where I lived the following year with him and my step-mother. By then I was 19, and had lived on my own since I was 17. After that year I finally got my own place near my dad's and had my own apartment. Dad helped me land a job with the school district where he was employed. I worked there before moving away and starting college a couple of years later.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: June 30, 2019 11:52PM

I went off to University the summer after graduating from high school. After my first year I went on a mission ;[ . Came home with some health problems but headed back to college about two months later. I loved my parents but 8 weeks with my mom, was above my ability to endure, especially after being independent for a few years. Times were different then, if were able bodied male and you moved back in with your parents you were labeled as being a loser.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: July 01, 2019 12:00AM

My memory of it all is quite hazy. I remember something about a fence and I just wanted to sit on it, but then a big wind came up and blew me clear off onto one side. Then some guy in a military uniform, probably a general, apparently saw me flying across the fence onto his side and commended me for my valor....

Next thing I knew, I was a little kid in some strange place singing a song about Book of Mormon Stories. I can't even remember what my room in my pre-existence parents' house looked like exactly.

But I know it was long ago. If I had to guess, I left my parents' house when I was minus (-) 2 years old.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 01, 2019 12:13AM

I was trying to imagine recently what it must have been like for my never Mo grandfather to have been orphaned at the age of ten years old. He went to live with an abusive uncle who was so mean to him that he ran away from there and went to work for the railroad, that became his employer for the rest of his working life.

It is incomprehensible to me to imagine growing up without a home or a family. And yet that is what he did. He basically raised himself at that point. It was a different era. Children today wouldn't stand a chance to grow up alone and independent foraging for themselves that way from age ten on. Not child labor on the railroad anyway. When gramps retired that was his only pension.

He couldn't claim Social Security because he couldn't provide a birth certificate. He had two names when my mom was born (she was their oldest.) She had two birth certificates. One was with his real surname. The second one was the one he changed it to. Mom and her siblings never learned the secret as to why he changed his last name when she was born. It was a secret he and my grandmother carried to their graves.

He didn't have to move out of his parents house. He was orphaned. What a way to have to grow up. (not!)

My mom moved out of her parents house on her 18th birthday. She went straight from Brigham City to Salt Lake City where she attended Westminster College for one year on a full scholarship to study English and Drama. Then she went East to NYC for a year on another scholarship for an acting academy. She didn't move home after that. But did move back west after one year and met my dad and that is how our family came to be.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 01, 2019 02:35PM

Wait wait wait

Kids move out???????

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 01, 2019 02:39PM

sunbeep Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At what age did you move out of your Parent's
> house?

Marriage age 25.

> Were you prepared?

Nope.

> At what age would you think a young person should
> leave home?

When they want to learn the realities of survival on their own.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.