Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 06:52AM

Well, here's a weird horror story.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/case-mistaken-identity-family-finds-relative-alive-taking/story?id=64137348

A family that was making funeral plans for a beloved relative who authorities said had died in hospice care was shocked when the man showed up at a friend’s barbecue, exposing what the family says is a fatal case of mistaken identity on the part of Chicago police and hospital officials.

Alfonso Bennett was out of town when police brought an injured and unidentified man to Chicago’s Mercy Hospital, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday in Cook County, Illinois. Although the man’s face was disfigured by injuries, police used mug shots to identify him as Bennett, the suit says.

When members of Bennett’s family were called to the hospital, they insisted to doctors that the patient didn’t look like him -- but they were told repeatedly that the identification was correct and that they were just in denial, according to the lawsuit.

"I said, 'Doc, I understand what you are saying but I cannot recognize him as my brother.' He was beaten," Bennett's sister, Rosie Brooks, said at a news conference Wednesday, according to ABC Chicago station WLS.

(Ctd at link above)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 06:56AM

Let the wrongful death lawsuit begin !!

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 07:16AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let the wrongful death lawsuit begin !!

I believe both families are doing so. Not only the family of the man who died but the family of the man who didn't, although I think the latter has a weaker case.

It seems they used a police photograph to "identify" the injured man, even though he was disfigured. I don't know why they didn't use fingerprinting in this instance.

The police dept is partly to blame here.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 09:09AM

Should be an easy case to win.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 09:22AM

Now if only someone would take TSCC off life support.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 09:29AM

There seems to me there more to this story than what's been said.

Why would someone be id'd with mug shots? Did a witness at the mugging say it was so and so? I'm all for facial recognition technology but mug shot ? Get real.

The second part that I like best with these million dollar wrongful death law suits, it's never about the money, "we only want to make sure this type of thing never happens to anyone else again". Right, give me a break.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 10:44AM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 10:49AM

Was "Bloom County" that used to do the Youth in Asia jokes?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 10:53AM

During the Vietnam war (long before Bloom County) there was a sardonic button that read, "Euthanasia Kills."

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 05, 2019 11:00AM

Now, see, if either the brother or the victim had other identifying marks -- a.k.a. tattoos -- this wouldn't have happened. And unmarked body is an unidentified body, boy and girls. At least get your name tattooed in a discrete place.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.