Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 03:15PM

has found himself a perch directly in front of the window AC. and there he parks.
By the way it is 106 on my back porch right now. I wonder if he has room for me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 03:24PM

Tell TK "Hi" from the [relative] coolth of the western San Fernando Valley.

[at least 96 yesterday; 90 and rising right now]

P.S. A thoroughly wet (and slightly wrung out) bath towel around your naked neck can honest-to-God save your life. (It cools the blood supply to the brain.)

[Re-wet, and re-wring, when it partially dries out.]

My warm commiserations go out to both of you!

Date: July 16, 2019 03:28PM

thanks for the reply. It will probably hit 112 late this afternoon. The answer I usually get when I complain like this is "Poor baby"

Date: July 16, 2019 03:37PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks for the reply. It will probably hit 112
> late this afternoon. The answer I usually get when
> I complain like this is "Poor baby"

I grew up in the western San Fernando Valley, and spent much of my growing-up time in California's desert areas (my aunt owned a uranium finding business), and I do deeply understand.

When it comes to TK, you might try wetting your hands (or getting some cool water in a cupped hand) and "stroking" it into TK's neck and body fur. TK may, or may not, appreciate these ministrations, but it could also save his life, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2019 03:38PM by Tevai.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 04:11PM

I spent three years in California's San Joaquin Valley, which is not Phoenix, Vegas, or the Mojave Desert, but not enough better to suit me. I can feel your misery. Find a perch next to your cat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2019 09:27PM by scmd1.

Posted by: AnonInCali ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 07:51PM

Why would anyone spend three years there?
Signed
Anon Friend In the Coast

Date: July 16, 2019 09:26PM

Many are called, but a few lucky souls are actually chosen for the mission field, or at least their parents are, and they have no choice but to follow.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 02:39AM

Aha!

scmd1 is one of the elite, even those who are covered by the Second Anointing and who can therefore apostasize without jeopardizing their tickets to the CK.

That's almost enough to justify having spent three years in the Valley!

Date: August 18, 2019 11:04PM

I just saw this, LW. If all mission presidents and their wives are anointed a second time, I am indeed one of the elite, but my parents have never as much as hinted at it. My understanding is that it's not to be divulged, though I've heard fairly direct allusions from some besides my parents about their own status.

I once asked my most TBM brother what he thought about the likelihood of my parents having obtained their "Go Directly to the CK" cards. This brother is normally pretty cool, but he rebuked me for having brought it up and quickly changed the subject.

Perhaps it's why my parents are so graciously handling my straying from the straight and narrow path.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 11:42PM

I am not aware of a blanket rule, but it appears that some SPs get them and most (and possibly all) MPs do. There's a sort of symmetry to the timing: just as young people need the superpowers of the first anointing to be effective missionaries, so too may MPs require the super-duper powers of the second anointing to facilitate their extremely important work as salesmen cum baby-sitters.

I have a close relative who did a lot of things for the church. After reading the book Mysteries of Godliness, I described the 2A to him--he had never said anything about that ritual before--and concluded that it seemed largely to have died off in the middle of the 20th century. He reacted strongly, saying "don't be too sure about that!" in a way that he rarely says anything. I inquired further and he said, again with atypical firmness, that it happens frequently.

I brought this up with the man's son, who was himself then a bishop (although he later saw the light and resigned). He said that his father had spoken to him at length about the 2A, reckoning that as a bishop his son needed, or was entitled, to know. According to that younger man, two of our other older relatives who had served as MPs had also been granted Get Out of Jail Free cards. Nothing I learned from these discussions tied the 2A specifically to the MP job, but there seems to be a correlation. I think that is roughly compatible with what Hans Mattson and Tom Phillips said as well.

So my guess is that through your father you are guaranteed a trip to the CK although you may need to endure the buffetings of Satan for a while before entering into your exaltation. I trust you will send me the occasional postcard when you get there.

Date: August 19, 2019 12:27PM

It would seem that LDS Inc. might get more mileage out of the CK Fast Passes if they issued only provisional ones to MPs until the MPs returned with honor following said mission presidencies. Someone like Joseph Bishop (I no longer honor the LDS custom of including either first or middle initials for LDS authorities of any kind) might possibly have behaved slightly better had he not believed he had carte blanche to do whatever the he!! he wanted.

I know it's all hocus pocus, but where in the LDS scheme does this place my children? My wife's and my union was solemnized in the Great Abominable Church. Are my children included with the rest of my parents' posterity, or are they essentially considered celestial bastard children, and, as such, ineligible for any inheritance? Will they be salvaged via sealing in the Millennium, or, because we've had our chance and have presumably blown it during our mortal lives, are my children personae non gratae with regard to any automatic exalted celestial status?

I'm usually pretty good about sending postcards.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: August 24, 2019 07:42AM

"I am indeed one of the elite"

Wow..lol.

Posted by: anonobviousl ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 04:26PM

Honestly, I prefer the Jordan-type hostile threads to this kind of thread.

What does this have to do with recovery from mormonism?

Date: July 16, 2019 05:18PM

anonobviousl Wrote:
> What does this have to do with recovery from
> mormonism?

Although I am a nevermo, I've logged more than fifteen years on this board, and one of the many things I have learned here is that people who were raised in Mormonism, or who have spent significant time in Mormonism as adults, often have the need to regain (or gain, if it was never gained in the first place) their evolved humanity.

As I understand the culture, Mormonism is not very much concerned with individual development in any way. Emphasis in Mormon life is on learning "the rules," and obeying "the rules"--regardless of any other consideration, like being concerned about your own inner welfare, the welfare of those people who are in your life, and the welfare of your larger community.

To my understanding: If it's not Mormon, then it's not worth thinking about, or involving yourself in. If it's not about learning or carrying out "the rules," then it is (in effect) a waste of time which could better be spent harassing your neighbors, your fellow Mormons, and strangers everywhere, so that THEY will learn, and follow, "the rules."

One of the things I have always been impressed with on this board is the genuine caring for each other, and for each other's important people and animal companions. We have a rule here that threads are usually closed after sixty posts, but there is a big exception for threads like condolence threads, or "Get Well!" threads, or "I am so sorry you had to terminate your beloved animal companion's life" threads.

This doesn't have anything to do with any Mormon "rule" I am aware of, but it has EVERYTHING to do with whether a person reactivates, or gradually develops, the kind of deep humanity which is pretty much always a leading characteristic of the best among us.

When "you," as a member of this board, post a helpful, or an empathetic post in response to another member's need, that act doesn't just help that other person (and sometimes these posts can literally be the difference between whether someone chooses to keep living or not), it helps YOU--to become the person you once were and began to lose along the way, or to become that person for the "first" time in your adult life.

Recovering from Mormonism means, on one level, learning (or re-learning) to care.

If you are not interested in becoming a mensch [*], this is your absolute right. If your interests here are limited to discussing Mormonism and its specific consequences, simply don't read the other posts. You have every right to erect whatever barriers you choose to your own inner self.

But know that there are many, many good people here who really DO care, and who try their best to help when someone here reveals a need (spoken or unspoken) that someone else can assist with.

[*] mensch (Hebrew/Yiddish): "someone to emulate and admire; someone of noble character; someone of integrity and honor"--and I would add: Someone who CARES.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2019 05:27PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 04:52AM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 06:22PM

RfM cannot be, within the rules, all things for all people.

It is very likely that everyone of us has posters and/or topics that make us groan when we see ’that’ name or ’that’ subject.

But even out in the real world, among the most privileged, crosses must be borne.

Or in the immortal words of Elohim to his beloved son, Jesus, in the Garden of Gethsemane, ”Suck it up, buttercup,” but in pure Kolobian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2019 09:05PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 11:18AM

I felt The Great Spirit in that post.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 19, 2019 12:15AM

Are you the thread police ?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 04:47PM

and I'm miserable. My dogs lay in front of the portable air conditioner. The new kind that roll around and you vent them out the window.

I am glad I'm not where you are. I absolutely hate heat.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 05:38PM

I spend a lot of time in the St. George Utah area where it's 'only' 106° right now. This is the area known as "Utah's Dixie" because old Brigham sent a group of settlers to grow cotton in the warm climate. Of course, Brigham didn't visit in the hot summer, only came in the winter to escape the cold and snow of North Deseret.
This is also the area of which apostle J.Golden Kimball famously said, "If I owned a lot in Dixie and a lot in Hell, I'd sell the lot in Dixie and move to Hell."

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 16, 2019 08:34PM

I'm sorry it's real hot for you. You're always welcome to come to join us in Texas. We've had a cooling trend this week. Only 99 today.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 01:37AM

Cats are sensible creatures. :) I've had my air conditioner on for weeks now, with no sign of relief. But without fail, my sweet kitty sits at the door in the late afternoon, crying for me to take him out for a walk. I walk him on a leash, just like a dog. He sniffs everything, eats grass, and enjoys rolling in the dirt.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 02:24AM

I think your cat is a reincarnation of my Uncle Tom, whom everyone called "TK." He was very large, and would sit directly in front of the air conditioner, and suck up all the cool air. He loved cats.

Your story brought back memories

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 08:16AM

I have to ask...did you just move to the desert? Seems like a lot of "discussion" of the desert weather/temperature for someone named The Desert Rat

Date: July 17, 2019 10:18PM

nonmo_1 Wrote:
> I have to ask...did you just move to the desert?
> Seems like a lot of "discussion" of the desert
> weather/temperature for someone named The Desert
> Rat
I have mostly lived on the desert since 1949

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2019 10:18PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 10:06AM

Hey Desert Rat, this too shall pass!

Think of those cooler evenings, and the mornings ...

Imagination can be a terrific friend in the alternative, and that perch next to your kitty. :)

I'd be sitting with TK too and sucking it up next to the AC.

Date: July 17, 2019 10:23PM

This has been a fun post. It really doesn't have a lot to do with recovery but once in a while a little levity is appropriate

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 19, 2019 12:02AM

Only got up to the high 70s here in southern Alberta today...and northern BC got a foot of snow overnight and there were frost warnings for northwest of Calgary...so summer is waining here.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 19, 2019 12:16PM

My daughter worked in Alaska for 7 summers and is home this summer as she got married. She told me Saturday that when she feels just a hint of chill in the air (we live in Cache Valley so we get chill quite often in the mornings as I walk my dogs then) that she gets severely depressed. She loved her job in Alaska, but it rained all summer. She says she can't do that again. Is thinking of moving to St. George (though I don't think her husband likes the heat).

She goes to an outdoor swimming pool everyday to make up for all the years she didn't get to.

I'd love 70. It has only been in the 80s here, so it has been better than it was (at least far NORTHERN Utah).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.