Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 07:39PM

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900080061/church-replacement-for-boy-scouts-personal-progress-lds-mormon.html

The brochure for adults:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bc/content/shared/english/pdf/children-and-youth/16855_000_Children_and_Youth_Introduction.pdf?lang=eng

The brochure for the youth:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bc/content/shared/english/pdf/children-and-youth/16857_000_LtrHlf_Youth_Brochure.pdf?lang=eng

There is more information available from the first link if you have a mormon church account.

Personally, I am underwhelmed based on what the two brochures show. It sounds a lot like their new ministering program where nobody is quite sure what is supposed to be done. I can just see next January when the ward leaders are sitting around wondering what they should be doing now, and the kids thinking "get me out of here".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 07:44PM

This is another example of "narrowing the borders" you can scroll down the main page to view it

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 10:23PM

"It is based on the church's renewed emphasis on home-centered, church-supported learning,"

Which doesn't really make sense. If mormon's want home based indoctrination then why is there a church anyway? The purpose of a church youth program is to get the kids out of the home and out socializing with their peers. But no for some reason the GAs don't want them to do that.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 10:56PM

Did anyone notice the sequence of announced presentations?

This is done for an exact reason. The end of Sept will give the church a press conference to announce the the new program. This will generate a Mormon buzz going into general conference in Oct. You can bet that there will be a talk or two that may mention some specifics of the program. Naturally, the non-thinking members will foam over and gush over their so-called revelation. Then the church will start snooping on forums and social media to see what thinking people are really saying about it so the church can tweak it before releasing their finalized version of their new program in Nov.

Now this kills me:
The church has encouraged those who wish to participate in Scouting to join local community groups.

I say surely the church is jesting! A young girl in my ward had joined the bluebird or bluejay group. This was a service organization similar to scouting. I remember seeing them wear their colorful uniforms at my elementary school. Well the bishop got wind and persuaded the girl to drop out of the club. The church has always had strong advice that discouraged members from being involved in community affairs. Remember that the church still freaks out if you don't attend your assigned ward.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: July 20, 2019 10:54AM

"Now this kills me: The church has encouraged those who wish to participate in Scouting to join local community groups."

Exactly, any, and I mean any deviation, from ward/church centered activity was considered evil. I am serious. It was looked upon as if the guilty were not supporting the local, stake, and general leadership. We had a father take his boys out of our ward troop, and put them in a community troop (30 years ago). Reason being, the ward scout troop sucked big time as they usually do. This father was called to be the scout master of our ward (in response to his mutiny). He declined. His temple rec was pulled, he was ostracized, and left the church because of it. Smart man.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: July 17, 2019 11:03PM

What a load of crap-ola!

I'm betting they won't reverse their decision to prohibit home study groups.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 08:41PM

I can see the announcement link, but I cannot see the other links. It has some sort of sign in page rather than showing me anything.

Something that strikes me odd...

This is supposed to be a world wide program...correct?

So why are they doing it via an app?

That is a VERY middle to upper middle class in the US and Europe type thing.

It isolates many who do not use tablets, the poor who can't get kids tablets, many in Africa, South America, and parts of Asia (the exact portions of the world I thought they were trying to create this program for).

Does that seem weird to anyone else?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 18, 2019 08:58PM

I was a young women's leader when they "rolled out" the personal progress program. THING IS, they didn't get it up and going before they stopped the old program. When I was called, we had NO PROGRAM. No lesson manuals, etc. No goal books. No real direction on what the activities were to be. And we had YW on Sunday and a weekday night where I had grown up with mutual one night a week and once a month, we had an activity.

What a JOKE that was. It was me who went and got the personal progress books when I found out they were available. THEN with the 23 Beehives I had, I went through the books with them and would ask them, "Do you help fix dinner sometimes?" "Yes." And I would sign it off. "Do you babysit your younger siblings?" Yes, and I'd sign it off. All this BUSY WORK and setting goals for things that we all knew they did every damn day, but let's make it busy work and make them set a goal.

We weren't allowed to have activities that weren't focused on a goal in the PP book. I got in trouble for a few. The girls thought I was boring, UNTIL the new person came in and then they begged for me to come back.

I tried to tell the other leaders that the girls needed mentors, women they could relate to, not a LEADER. They didn't care. And now they are making it even more "Christ oriented" and blah, blah, blah. When they make everything about the religion a chore, that is when they lose the youth.

Well, good for them! Way to go you idiots.

It is interesting to think back about the girls I had in YWs. At least half are out of the church. My 2 babysitters--sisters--their father was bishop when my ex left me--they are both OUT. Neither married in the temple. I love it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2019 09:01PM by cl2.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: July 20, 2019 11:25AM

This assessment of "Personal Progress" is spot on. My leaders badgered me to do it and when I wouldn't---because it was STUPID---they filled it in for me.

When it was time to apply for the medallion. I said I wasn't interested. My mom filled out the application and bought the medallion. When the bishop called me to the front to receive the award, I was less than pleased.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: July 20, 2019 10:31AM

I just read another article about this today. Some mucky muck was quoted as saying that the church has been working on a program to replace scouting "for years". Yeah, right. What liars!

Back in the 60's when I was in YW as a youth, we were always jealous of all the fun things that the young men got to participate in with scouts...the camping trips, the weekly activities, the merit badges, courts of honor, and on and on. We gals were relegated to stupid books of goals that were all about serving and learning homemaking skills. Not discounting those skills but to tell the truth, we yearned for more. It was quite boring, actually. Well, I guess now the boredom will be equally applied to both the YM and YW.

It also seems like TSCC is putting the whole thing onto the parents.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 02:28AM

AMEN SISTERS! It just straight up SUCKED. First off, it was stupid. Mind numbing stupid. Anything that was something to learn was about church crap we had heard for years or crap they tried to pawn off as "service" but was really slave labor. Oh! Let's make yadda yadda to add to your babysitting kit! So we can hit you up for a ton of unpaid babysitting while we have "Temple Night" that lasted till 1am or those Know your Religion ALL DAY classes. Oh and girls, make sure you clean and do the dishes :). Oh, you are 13 and Sister X has SEVEN DAMN KIDS? Oh, you can handle that no problem! And don't forget to see if there is laundry that needs to be done :).

And of course we needed to make treats, snacks and backup materials for the BOYS to go do real fun things like skiing, water skiing, dirt biking, dune runners, amusement parks. Oh but not for you girls. No MONEY for that. Your job is to support the boys :)!

Then the occasional lecture on keeping your legs together. Poo cakes, crushed roses, chewed gum. And make sure you ONLY go for RMs!

Yet I was not allowed to go from Brownies to Girl Scouts because they don't teach the correct values.

I didn't last long. I would go out the back with a book to the grade school and read on the swings. When I got in trouble I just gave up caring.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 25, 2019 03:46PM

The personal progress books were bad enough. The ones I had in the 1970s were worse. We had to take them to our bishopric interviews. The boys usually did do the fun things, but in the 1970s we did get to do some things. Our 2 women leaders took us camping for 3 or 4 days and it wasn't an activity. I don't know how they got away with that.

The goal books were a slap in the face to kids who had big families. I took care of my siblings to the point one of my brothers called me mom when he was little. Still considers me one. But I was supposed to make a special goal to do what I did every day--AGAIN.

And free babysitting. I loved babysitting for temple nights and then they'd go out to dinner and come home late.

I learned. I only had my 2 kids, but all the work was always done. Food was available--and treats for them all. I paid better than anyone in the ward and it made the other women angry. I had many girls begging to work for me, but I had 2 sisters next door who did most of my babysitting. Their mother told me I put them through nursing school!

The programs just get more and more boring, tedious, mind numbing, and FORCED. If they want to keep the youth, and I don't want them to, they need to ask the kids what they NEED and WANT!! They don't care. They don't care about any of the members.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: July 20, 2019 10:57AM

They should call their new program "Nelson Youth".

They can learn valuable skills like:

1 - How to reinforce their belief system
2 - How to spy on other kids in the program and rat them out
3 - How to turn in parents and siblings for their misbehavior
4 - How to earn favor from those in power
5 - How to prep for the upcoming war

Every young man could earn a "Sword of Maroni" replica dagger.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 21, 2019 01:13AM

It's become too expensive to run a church, let alone a full-blown "youth program". LDS, Inc. would rather concentrate on its REAL business goal: to make money. The Mormon cult is acquiring real estate, not souls. It's raising cattle, not kids. Now a hink of beef--there's an asset--whereas a kid is nothing but a liability. LDS, Inc. will support only enough members to maintain their buildings and grounds. They don't care about "community."

LDS, Inc. is bleeding its members.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 22, 2019 06:14PM

Always bumbling, boring
Mormons follow Mormons
Never knowing where they're going
Making it up as they go (come) along

Nobody knows where to go; Nobody knows what to do; You follow me - I'll follow you. First we'll eat, then we'll chew (if we do).

Posted by: Bor ( )
Date: July 25, 2019 02:46PM

In my family, I had to do the personal progress program to learn how to drive. Love how everything in the church was tied to something I needed to survive I think I took it seriously for a bit, but eventually just bs’ed my way through. Complete waste of time. So much actual personal progress could have been made with an actually good program, not a brainwashing mechanism to turn all girls into wives. Barf.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 25, 2019 03:39PM

[|] Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can just see next
> January when the ward leaders are sitting around
> wondering what they should be doing now, and the
> kids thinking "get me out of here".

They will be thinking about interviewing more children younger and younger.

Keep them progressing on the straight and narrow minded path from the onset of their "accountability."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.