Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: July 31, 2019 08:54AM

My mind so only a small portion... my liver begs to differ.... who to believe?

Posted by: hgc2 ( )
Date: July 31, 2019 11:46AM

When I went inactive I dabbled with alcohol but it didn't last long. To me:

1. It didn't taste good unless hidden in something fruity
2. I didn't like the buzz.
3. I didn't like the hangovers
4. It was expensive
5. Two of my children became alcohol dependent. One needs a liver transplant.

Why do so many think they want of need this horrible stuff??

I buy denatured alcohol for my woodworking hobby. That is it.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 01, 2019 09:43AM

not a whole lot

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 02:43AM

What’s funny is I drank more while in the church than I do now. I guess the church drove me to drink. I was a pretty liberal Mormon. Never thought drinking was that bad but then neither did my dad or grandad.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 03:21AM

If this refers to the amount of alcohol purchased in a year, I probably spent roughly three hundred dollars on it in the past year, though I didn't buy much of it in Utah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2019 12:47PM by scmd1.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 12:05PM

I bought beer in 3 Utah pubs in February...does that count?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 01:20PM

I have no idea how much I contributed. You didn't tell us where or when you are referring to.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 01:53PM

I spent $8.00 on a big cup of beer at MGM Grand, Las Vegas seeing Carlos Santana in the worst venue in town. I drank about $2.00 of it since I was driving. That was in 2006 when I still lived there.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 02:05PM

Not much. I prefer to buy in Las Vegas and mule it back to Utah.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 02, 2019 02:34PM

Lips that touch liquor and don't belong to Saucie shall never touch mine!

In the Spring of 1968, with my temple wedding coming up at the end of the semester, I stopped at a favorite haunt for some grub, a Taco Bell. Prices were ridiculous back then and I probably paid 19¢ per taco. I was making $2.25/hour, so I could splurge for a buck's worth!

That evening my lower left side began to hurt. It hurt all night and I went to the health center the next day. They admitted me and then decided that I had something wrong with my spleen, but they weren't exactly sure, so they kept me on pain medication for a couple of days to see if anything else happened that they could figure out. Nothing did and the pain went away.

Except that my mind/body associated all that pain with tacos. I've never had a fast-food taco since then.

A year and five days ago I was hit by an attack of vertigo. It was bad! But then I thought it was getting better and I got up and started watching TV. I got something to eat and popped the tab on a beer. I ate, chewed, swallowed and then took a sip of beer. I was immediately hit with a bad wave of vertigo. Worst I've ever experienced. But after a trip to my primary physician and some tests, they decided it was no big deal. (Doctors know they can tell Mexicans that and get away with it.)

I've been fine since, except, yep, I have not had any alcohol since then and am not likely to ever imbibe again. Mind over matter...

This is why some people thought aversion therapy would work, but all I did was cut out one item of food and one item of drink. If this were aversion therapy, I'd be 'shocked' into not eating anything nor drinking anything. Food-Drink-Sex/Affection..., they are all primary needs. Aversion Therapy fans just didn't parse it fine enough, such was their hope of curing the Gay...

ICBRight - ICBWrong

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.